Need your opinions

F20B8898-0C24-49BD-BC76-A7DBC2629E16.jpeg 4E9B1B7F-34B1-4B5C-A58A-A87071F74DEE.jpeg I received this 110 today and I love this knife. But would these gaps bother you? I understand it’s not a custom fitted knife. I mean I can live with them, and the knife will serve my needs just fine. But would you contact Buck? The vendor had to search through several just to find one that fit my criteria I wanted , so it’s not on the vendor. I agreed to send me one of the best they could find out of stock they had left. Am I being too picky?

Personally I am not bothered by gaps unless it looks like a future problem. It does mean you might have to work more to clean it and keep it clean as gaps like any opening can be a great place for dirt and debris.

Hmm, I can understand the gap at the back spring as it needs some for free movement but I thought the scales were attached with resin type glues. I’m not seeing any pins so how and what’s attaching the micarta to the frame?

Hmm, I can understand the gap at the back spring as it needs some for free movement but I thought the scales were attached with resin type glues. I’m not seeing any pins so how and what’s attaching the micarta to the frame?

I would think it was glued.

The back spring not so much but the gap in the scale could possibly be a future issue. My thinking would be with moderate use the scale could become loose and maybe fall off. That's all speculation btw.

On another note I'm not really happy to hear this was the vendors best example. I'm hoping they were just lazy and didn't look through them all.

The back spring not so much but the gap in the scale could possibly be a future issue. My thinking would be with moderate use the scale could become loose and maybe fall off. That's all speculation btw.

On another note I'm not really happy to hear this was the vendors best example. I'm hoping they were just lazy and didn't look through them all.

The scale was my concern as well. Mailed it off to see if they can scrounge up a good example. Jordan at DLT said that a lot of them have issues. Bummer.

Maybe best to call Buck customer service and warranty or send a message to Mr J. Hubbard and ask about the handle scales having a gap. Structural it could be alright but it seems to be a place where unwanted dirt and crud can accumulate. They could probably close the gap a bit on the back spring at the same time as fixing the handle if you make note of it and any other problems. I Hope you can get it taken care of to your satisfaction.

The scale was my concern as well. Mailed it off to see if they can scrounge up a good example. Jordan at DLT said that a lot of them have issues. Bummer.

That really sucks. It's such a nice knife. With both of the gaps it almost looks as if the knife got twisted during assembly. I'd give buck a shout, their fit and finish on these might not be what we expect from them but their customer service is untouchable.

Maybe best to call Buck customer service and warranty or send a message to Mr J. Hubbard and ask about the handle scales having a gap. Structural it could be alright but it seems to be a place where unwanted dirt and crud can accumulate. They could probably close the gap a bit on the back spring at the same time as fixing the handle if you make note of it and any other problems. I Hope you can get it taken care of to your satisfaction.

Jordan said he will try and go through them and try to find one that is a good example. I understand they miss things, and I didn’t notice it until I sat down and gave it a good look over. I’m sure they’ll take care of me. Just concerning that apparently a lot of them have some QC issues.

That really sucks. It's such a nice knife. With both of the gaps it almost looks as if the knife got twisted during assembly. I'd give buck a shout, their fit and finish on these might not be what we expect from them but their customer service is untouchable.

It really is a nice knife. We’ll see how the next one looks that they ship out. Bucks customer service is top notch.

View attachment 1178726 View attachment 1178725 I received this 110 today and I love this knife. But would these gaps bother you? I understand it’s not a custom fitted knife. I mean I can live with them, and the knife will serve my needs just fine. But would you contact Buck? The vendor had to search through several just to find one that fit my criteria I wanted , so it’s not on the vendor. I agreed to send me one of the best they could find out of stock they had left. Am I being too picky?

No, the gaps would not bother me. No I would not contact Buck. Yes, you are absolutely being too picky. If you are so concerned with these types of details, you should go pick the knife yourself. We are talking about a production knife here right?

Beautiful knife BTW.

Stop examining it so closely and go cut something with it.

Last edited:
No, the gaps would not bother me. No I would not contact Buck. Yes, you are absolutely being too picky. If you are so concerned with these types of details, you should go pick the knife yourself. We are talking about a production knife here right?

Beautiful knife BTW.

Well, since I’m in Kentucky, and DLT is in Marinette Wisconsin and a 10 hour drive from me, that would be one hell of a drive to inspect a Buck 110. I do agree it is a beautiful knife.

Beautiful knife BTW.

I don’t know about anyone else but when I spend $100 on a knife it better be done right. With glued on scales that is a concern as it may not have adequate coverage to hold under hard use. We’re not talking about a cheap gas station knife here or a fly by night company just starting out. Buck needs to know about these issues so they can keep their standards high and not become complacent. Yes it’s a production made knife and things get missed and Buck will take care of it. But they can’t if they don’t know about it. So yes the handle gaps would bother me and yes I would send it in !!!

If it’s a concern to him or anyone else it is a valid concern. Just because it isn’t for you doesn’t make it invalid!

I don’t know about anyone else but when I spend $100 on a knife it better be done right. With glued on scales that is a concern as it may not have adequate coverage to hold under hard use. We’re not talking about a cheap gas station knife here or a fly by night company just starting out. Buck needs to know about these issues so they can keep their standards high and not become complacent. Yes it’s a production made knife and things get missed and Buck will take care of it. But they can’t if they don’t know about it. So yes the handle gaps would bother me and yes I would send it in !!!

If it’s a concern to him or anyone else it is a valid concern. Just because it isn’t for you doesn’t make it invalid!

Uh oh, this thread just got salty. There is no “right” answer to the OPs question. He asked for opinions, so I gave mine. No need to jump down my throat haha.

This thread appeared to be an attempt at collecting opinions, not judging or criticizing them.

Last edited:
I have one of these and they were the worst finished knives I've received from Buck.The tech who assembled and finished these should be disciplined and retrained.

If I received one like this and if it bothered me, I would likely have pulled out a toothpick with a paper towel and tube of super glue. Then started filling in those cracks and wiped off the excess. Then set it aside to dry. By supper time it would have been dry and I could have been using it.
But that's just me. DM

I have that knife, mine is good.......but dlt is great on customer service and so is buck. it wouldnt bother me if it was gonna be a user as if it failed I'd just send to buck under lifetime warranty. if it bothered me I'd send to buck as theyll make it right for you.

it bothered ya enough to take pics with paper to show the gaps and flaws and that fine...I bring it up only in the point of send it in to buck. dont accept something you arent happy with.

The inlay gap should absolutly not be there. The rocker gap is fairly normal as the rocker is designed thinner than the blade to allow it to move freely. But it should never be over .006"
Can you PM me Jordan's contact info, I want to talk with him about his stock.

Thanks,

Jeff

I've got a few knives that were less than perfect....
Sorta glad they are, I don't feel so bad about using them. In fact, I find myself using them more than others.
That is a sweet knife. You got a great excuse to turn it into a full time user.

If it were mine, that’d bug me. I’d either return it and ask the dealer to check the replacement first before sending it to you, or if that’s not an option, send it in to Buck. The backspring gap wouldn’t bug me as much as the scale gap. That’s not right. Crap is going to get under there.

Back