Nemesis Folder

Will the Nemesis become available without the thumb ridges and the top hilt as an option?

thats an interesting knife, maybe i'll get one in the future, been hearing good things about this company lately

Originally posted by toothed
Will the Nemesis become available without the thumb ridges and the top hilt as an option?

Amen. I thought that the hilt was part of the blade -- some sort of bass-ackwards "flipper" arrangement, until I saw the the pic with the knife half-closed. What were they thinking? It looks gay as hell, detracts from the compactness of the closed blade, and since I like to put my thumb on the back of the blade while using a knife it won't do at all.

I like the ER fixed blades, but the folders are a little clunky looking for my tastes. I'm sure they are solid knives that will stand up to hard use, and I know from experience that a lockback will outlast a flimsy liner lock any day of the week, but the ergonomics are a little off from what I can see in the pics. Maybe the next generation of Extrema folders will be a bit more refined.

TTFN

Frank,

Can I get the same knife, but with yellow scales?

Just kidding. I really like the Nemesis. Unfortunately, a new knife isn't in my budget at the moment. It looks like a winner, though.

Whenever I look at an Extrema folder, it reminds me of a bank vault! :) :)

Originally posted by mr44
Amen. I thought that the hilt was part of the blade -- some sort of bass-ackwards "flipper" arrangement, until I saw the the pic with the knife half-closed. What were they thinking? It looks gay as hell, detracts from the compactness of the closed blade, and since I like to put my thumb on the back of the blade while using a knife it won't do at all.

I like the ER fixed blades, but the folders are a little clunky looking for my tastes. I'm sure they are solid knives that will stand up to hard use, and I know from experience that a lockback will outlast a flimsy liner lock any day of the week, but the ergonomics are a little off from what I can see in the pics. Maybe the next generation of Extrema folders will be a bit more refined.

TTFN

I had second thoughts about that part until I got one. It's very comfortable and is a great thumb rest. It's as though it's part of the blade. Not only is this knife a ridiculously solid lock - bearing down on the part with your thumb reinforces the lock with that additional pressure. Very well thought out.

If you want compactness, you don't want a knife like this. Get a Spyderco for compactness.

The ergos are excellent. Try one and see for yourself.

Thanks, Frank, for moving this thread up to the top.
I had forgotten about it and, as you can see, I asked for some more photos.
I like the photos you provided.
I'd still like to see some more from fellow forumites.
As I said earlier in this thread, what an Elegant Brute of a knife.

I expect some visitors to this forum and I want to move Frank's pictures of the Nemesis back up to the top. :)

When I upgraded my website and changed providers I lost all of my picture collection. I will reconstitute and post as soon as I can.

I won't have a Nemesis until next July, after I've met some obligations.
In the meantime, I can only experience the Nemesis vicariously through the reports of present owners.

Question:

Where does the Nemesis balance in the hand?
If one lays the knife accross his open hand, palm up, so that it teeters across the middle finger, where on the knife does the balance point occur?

can someone please explain to me the utility of the top guard?? maybe i'm missing something. i'd be really tempted to buy this neat knife if it didn't have that top guard... can someone convince the dudes at ER to pleeeease pretty pleeeeease make one without it??

i'd buy one in a heartbeat if it weren't for that feature -- unless there's a legit use for it. holler.

Keep in mind I do not have an MPC or Nemesis (or any ER knives for that matter), but I really like that top guard from a function point. With pressure on it, you are actually reinforcing the lock. I really think that it is well thought out to put it on the lock bar instead of the blade.

I see the Nemesis as the most pure self-defense folder made.

Some people think of a self-defense knife as a "fighting-knife" and they have visions of parrying an attacker's knife with their own knife, which means they need a guard to keep the attacker's edge from sliding down the defender's knife blade and cutting the defender's hand.
I don't care much for a guard intended for that function.

However, in reading an essay written by Colonel Jeff Cooper a few years ago, regarding the importance of the point of the knife, I found myself persuaded by Colonel Cooper.
I now believe a knife intended for combat, whether in self-defense or in the attack, must first have a point, and then an edge.
In other words, if I had to choose between an ice-pick or a straight-razor, I would pick the ice-pick.
Happily, the Nemesis provides both, but especially a point, and more so than on any other folder, to my knowledge.

In the case of a point, dagger, stilleto or any other edged-blade intended for thrusting, the user runs the risk of his hand running up onto the blade, especially if the point hits something that resists further penetration, such as a bone or body armor.
I consider this even more of a possibility in a desperation situation involving larger than humanly normal efforts.
In this regard, I see the Nemesis as having every imaginable erogonmic feature to maximize the power of the thrust in a desperation situation, and minimize the possibility of either the blade folding or the hand running up on the blade.

The Nemesis will serve well as a general purpose knife, but I think ER has optimized it as an anti-personnel/self-defense knife, and this includes the top guard.
ER makes other knives in this family that lend themselves a little more to general use, and they don't have the same top guard.

I see the Nemesis as a self-defense knife par-excellence, that will also perform various utility chores, such as cleaning a fish or opening boxes.
For those types of chores, I would hold the knife in the modified saber/paintbrush grip and the top guard would not get in the way.

Back