Nepalese earthquake relief fundraiser. Every little bit helps.

As supportive and generous as our HI family has become, can we all just send a "little bit" to the HI Kamis and their families to help with the recovery process from this very devastating natural disaster.

Even if the earthquake didn't affect HI and its workers by the Grace of God, then the monies collected can then be moved to the "Kami Medical Fund", or as auntie decides best.

Auntie, Kamis, and the entire HI family, go to great lengths to give us access to extraordinary blades, made by very skillful bladesmiths, at a very affordable price point. The least we can do when a disaster, such as the recent 7.9 earthquake in Nepal hits, is to help support our HI family, in any small way.

The easiest being to donate whatever small amount one can to HI, and allow HI to help those HI family members most in need. The faster we can help HI get "back on its feet", the faster the kamis can get back to a "normal" life, and produce the excellent blades they are known for, so that they may be well financed to weather the current and surely future rebuilding challenges in Nepal.

Please send the donations to auntie via himimp@aol.com, money order, check, etc..., and specify that it is for the earthquake fund.

Thank you in advance for the generosity, and thoughtfulness.

- Donation sent

Last edited:
Karda - Maybe we should move this to the HI main forum for more exposure?

Im in brother! Just waitin for the dust to settle. Sounds like a pretty bad situation. They're probably not even in survival mode yet. Probably still looking for loved ones etc. Id be happy to help any way I can. Im sure we will hear from Aunti soon with a bit more info. Hope for the best.

Just received an email from auntie concerning Nepal earthquake situation. It isn't too good...:(

The shop building collapsed, but no one was inside, nor injured.

Purna, the helper, and the sheath makers apartment building collapsed. They are currently in a shelter with others.

Auntie's family, Pala, and kami are all safe.

Any help is appreciated.

Good Evening to All

I have been trying to contact my father kamis and other family members all day and finely I got call from father about half and hour ago. Our shop building collaps and lucky everyone was out of building and safe.
Purna and his helper sheath maker's appartment building collaps and now they are staying in shelter with other people. My father and family members and other Kamis are OK. could been worse I am thankful to God that everyone is alive.
Now we really need help to rebuild the factory find a place for Purna and sheath maker and recover from lost so the fundraiser thread is big help.

Any one who are waiting for the special order will have to wait until we rebuild our factory.
Thank you cul4uo1 and eveyone for your supports good thoughts and donations.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update, Yangdu, it's a relief to hear that the HI people survived.

Perhaps with the shop down, this would be an appropriate time to do a fundraiser like Gehazi initiated at one time, with forumites donating any of their "spare" HI knives that Auntie could sell to raise funds.

I'll be finding a way to donate, one way or another.

Wonderful to hear that everyone is alive and well, and that there are shelters up and running.

Glad to hear that everyone's safe: I was terrified of anyone being inside the factory, with all that equipment, if it collapsed!

I might respectfully submit that if we're going to make any orders, much less special orders, we pay in advance: that way, the money can go to immediate rebuilding.

I had thought something like donate (rounded) shipping cost on orders we place in the coming weeks.

I talked with Auntie earlier and in addition to what she stated above, I can add that the building our Sarkis were living/working in has collapsed. Total loss of supplies and equipment. They were not in the building at the time and are OK. Bkakkta kami is OK, but has lost all of his equipment/tools. Waiting to hear more on the rest of the kamis and their families. Communications are very spotty at this time and it could be awhile before we know everything. From what I understand The 2 story BirGhorka shop was knocked flat.

Shops/tools are material things that can be replaced. We are more concerned with life and welfare of our "family" at this time.
Please keep everyone in your thoughts and prayers.
Any and all of your kind help and understanding will be much appreciated!

I might respectfully submit that if we're going to make any orders, much less special orders, we pay in advance: that way, the money can go to immediate rebuilding.

What a great idea! That'll help immensely if we put in custom orders (even small ones), and pay in advance. That way there'll be funds to immediately rebuild.

Good Evening to All

I have been trying to contact my father kamis and other family members all day and finely I got call from father about half and hour ago. Our shop building collaps and lucky everyone was out of building and safe.
Purna and his helper sheath maker's appartment building collaps and now they are staying in shelter with other people. My father and family members and other Kamis are OK. could been worse I am thankful to God that everyone is alive.
Now we really need help to rebuild the factory find a place for Purna and sheath maker and recover from lost so the fundraiser thread is big help.

Any one who are waiting for the special order will have to wait until we rebuild our factory.
Thank you cul4uo1 and eveyone for your suppots good thoughts and donations.

HI is family to a lot of us, we care for each other as we all should, and help in any ways that we can.

I just went to PayPal and found this announcement as the opening page:

Support earthquake relief in Nepal.
100% of your donation is delivered to the charity of your choice.
Donate Now

I have not been active here for a long time. Life seems to have a way of changing things. I have some HI blades, that are, sadly, neglected. I am willing to offer them up for sale, to the highest bidder. Proceeds will go directly to HI, to rebuild, or pay for medical bills for the Family in Nepal. How do I work this out? Who do I need to talk to?

As someone who lives in California, and experienced the Northridge earthquake during the 90's, I can sympathize with the Nepalese people, and can imagine things were a lot worse in a country which does not have earthquake retrofitted structures, much less, an already overstressed medical system, etc.

My thoughts and prayers are with the Nepalese people.

As to the types/names of these blades? It's been years, so I'm not sure. I do know that they are all HI. A couple are marked with the U.B. More pics can be made if needed.

Back