1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New and improved Dymondwood - Yea or Nay?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Maelstrom78, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Maelstrom78

Maelstrom78

Sep 21, 2013
  2. Hengelo_77

Hengelo_77 Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 2, 2006
    It's still plywood imho.
    If you're on a budget you can use better looking fire wood for scales or get cheap g10 from aliexpress.

Maelstrom78 likes this.
  3. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 6, 2000
    I love Dymondwood in solid colors. It has been hard to find recently. "Plywood" has layers with alternating grain direction.
    This vendor's prices look a little high.
    I don't use G10. There is enough dangerous dust in my shop already.

Don Hanson III and Maelstrom78 like this.
  4. AVigil

AVigil knifemaker working the grind Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Platinum Member

Feb 17, 2009
    If you want your knives to look like they are from Pakistan sure

JAGKNIFE, DanF and Alpha Knife Supply like this.
  5. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 6, 2000
    Perhaps the Pakistani knives look like MINE?
    The Pakis use other common handle materials, too.
    Dymondwood is stable, fairly hard-but easy to work, attractive if used properly, and relatively inexpensive.
    Does this gun look like it was made in Pakistan?
    IMG_4228.JPG

6. Kevin McGovern

Kevin McGovern KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 31, 2015
    A little bit. But the good part of Pakistan.

Bamph, Night Rider, JAGKNIFE and 3 others like this.
  7. LARRYZ10

LARRYZ10

Feb 6, 2010
    The factory that produced the original dymondwood burned down a couple years ago. I think they also made laminated gunstocks . The rosewood dymondwood is very nice looking and makes a nice knife. I bought a bunch of it years ago and still make a knife or two per year with it. Larry

8. butcher_block

butcher_block KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 6, 2004
    i have some rifle stocks in it but woudl put stabilized 2x4 on a knife before wood laminate (ok i joke 2x4 wouldnt work less it at least had nice grain in it )

9. AVigil

AVigil knifemaker working the grind Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Platinum Member

Feb 17, 2009
    The gun looks like it was made in Spain :)

Bill DeShivs likes this.
  10. Aidenag

Aidenag

Apr 16, 2009
    In all honesty, with those grips, and nothing to show scale, it looks like a gas station novelty lighter...

Hengelo_77 likes this.
  11. Maineiac1

Maineiac1

May 3, 2017
    I don't mind the natural looking stuff. Colored dymondwood looks cheap..

12. JAGKNIFE

JAGKNIFE KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 10, 2012
    IT looks like Frost cutlery stuff no matter who the maker is...I only used it I think twice early on in knife making then stopped

AVigil, Spalted and 3fifty7 like this.
  13. LARRYZ10

LARRYZ10

Feb 6, 2010
    Bill, I like your pistol and I must say that I am surprised at the negative comments about it. Do these same guys tell knife makers that posted their finished knives that they look like Pakistani junk? Seems rude to me. I see a lot of knives now with multicolored scales that look like toys to me but I know that some guys like the stuff so keep my opinion to myself. I also stocked two custom rifles in laminated birch that turned out beautiful. Larry

14. allenkey

allenkey Basic Member Basic Member

May 19, 2018
    I've been curious about trying some of the camo variations of Dymalux's dymondwood but it is kinda pricey relative to Micarta. On USA knifemaker I could buy a 6"x12"x3/16" sheet of black linen micarta for only $5 more than one set of camo dymondwood scales. Feels kinda iffy to me.

For those of you who don't mind it - do you have any pictures of your knives with dymondwood scales?

15. navasky

navasky

Dec 7, 2009
    I'm a big fan of black dymondwood.

[​IMG]

Roamad likes this.
  16. Willie71

Willie71 Warren J. Krywko. Part Time Knifemaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 23, 2013
    I’ve used it (the old stuff) on several knives. The multi coloured stuff looks tacky to me, but the more natural coloured stuff makes a decent handle on lower cost knives. I really like it for kids first knives. It’s pretty resilient stuff.

DevinT likes this.
  17. Tom Lewis

Tom Lewis

Feb 24, 2000
    [​IMG]
    I like some of it. I have sold a lot of knives with it to Women. They seem to like it.

18. Roamad

Roamad

Feb 1, 2016
    I like Dymondwood. Super durable, warm to the touch and easy to work. Here's an Old Hickory butcher knife I rehandled in charcoal dymondwood with green G10 liners (shown with a Scrade LB7).

[​IMG]

Night Rider likes this.
  19. knife to a gunfight

knife to a gunfight

Oct 17, 2007
    I've used black and walnut colored dymondwood on handles before, and I think it looked pretty good. I can't say I'm a fan of the handles that have 5 to 7 different colors, or look like a Christmas card.

I suppose any handle material can look good or bad. It depends on a number of things, IMO.

20. Willie71

Willie71 Warren J. Krywko. Part Time Knifemaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 23, 2013
    I looked through my pics, and I don’t have any diamondwood pics. Sorry.