New Bagwell Bowie Knife :D

Philip--The knife is on the way. Fed Ex says it will be there Wednesday by noon your time.

Let me know when it arrives, and be very careful with it. It is scary sharp.

All the best,
Bill Bagwell

Excitement :D
when Mr. Bagwell says its scary sharp; it must be :eek:

Photos to follow soon . . . . .

hm...so will this one be the "User" ?
I know you bought the Grail first.

I honestly don't know. I'm toying with the idea but then the money sort of puts me off. I'm getting one off Mr Lynch next year to replace a knife that broke a while back and I'm looking as it being my EDC bowie.

The money issue puts me off too... You told me to order one a while back but I could not see it leaving my gun safe. So, I got a Lamey.

Life is to short not to use the knife ya love :Dand I love this old carbon Bagwell

Of all the great knives I have if I had to go to hell I would take this one

It is like an old trusted friend

This knife is over 20 years old shown here with it's first P Long sheath

longsheath005.jpg

I agree Joe but that's a tad spendy for a knife that will see some serious use. I'd carry it as a back up in a heart beat but not as my daily bush user. A Machete works much better.

I agree Joe but that's a tad spendy for a knife that will see some serious use. I'd carry it as a back up in a heart beat but not as my daily bush user. A Machete works much better.

No arguments here :)

As you use a knife, it wears away, gets dull.......

There has always been, amongst those who use edged tools, the philosophy of two....one for general usage, one as a weapon.

The Japanese, of which over the years I have become most familiar, would use a wakizashi for everything, preferring a tanto, which is what is worn in my art...by everything, I mean bush blade, butcher knife, tent peg cutter, and hair cutter in a pinch....the katana was ALWAYS reserved for battle, and is the item that holds historical reverence......just like a bowie.:D

Proceed as you will.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

I was thinking the same thing; I use my SMC or the MOB or some other heavy duty bush knife for working in the bush, but carry my lightweight and stabby Primos bowie sometimes as a security blanket in the case of critters. Usually when I'm 'just hiking', (it's hard to avoid clearing trails though, if I have a big knife on me:D).

I call it 'practical redundancy':)

Hopefully a knife never gets called into duty for self preservation, but when it does, I imagine it would be preferable to have one designed as such.

a light weight fighting bowie type knife doesn't really inspire much desire to chop, however it is fun to snick things with one.

I don't carry both at the same time, because a bush knife can serve both purposes. But sometimes you just want to carry a knife which disappears because it's so light, but still has the reach.

That Bagwell of Joe's looks like a real bruiser and it could probably be both.

The cool thing about all this is finding one knife which 'does it all', and the cool part is that the search never ends:)

Well, Soon you will be 'snicking' things with my Lamey to Quality control it ;)

I heard some good things about this one... Light and fast. Sister to Matt's personal carry he's making :)

Next few days I hear!

The cool thing about all this is finding one knife which 'does it all', and the cool part is that the search never ends:)

There are many knives that do it all, and do it all competently, but when you "do" one in the bush sense, and beat hell out of it, it no longer eats flesh with the same degree of ability.....you will have sacrificed something for utility....that is almost an absolute rule.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

So, Where does a Bagwell stand in all this? Flesh? Ulility? Both?

I have never held one but I would think Flesh only... Be it deer, bear, Hog...

So, Where does a Bagwell stand in all this? Flesh? Ulility? Both?

I have never held one but I would think Flesh only... Be it deer, bear, Hog...

Joseph has most experience of those that I know, and it is flesh, with LIGHT, as needed only, utility....hopefully you get the distinction.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Back