New book “The Story of Knife Steel” by Dr. Larrin Thomas

Matthew Gregory

Chief Executive in charge of Entertainment
2023050913160548-841512655680743997--X2.jpg

Over the course of the last several months I’ve been assisting my friend Dr. Larrin Thomas Larrin Larrin in proofreading his most recent book, “The Story of Knife Steel: Innovators Behind Modern Damascus and Super Steels”.

To describe this tome as ‘exhaustive’ is a tremendous understatement. I own countless books on knives, knifemaking, metallurgy and tool steels, and I can say with certainty that none of them even approach being as comprehensive or as engaging as this is.

Before I’m criticized for being a shill for a friend, I would ask those of you willing to level such a criticism against me to ASK my friends just how gentle I am with them. 🤣

There’s really no way of determining how many times I’ve passed through this book, as it started with several chapters and kept going, but there were at least four complete read-throughs on my part, start to finish, and it was remarkable to me just how easy it was to get drawn into it.

There is something here for everyone. Even if one particular topic isn’t your interest, I’m guessing that the sweeping majority of it will be.

I believe it’s currently on sale through Amazon, but best to check his page for the details. KnifeSteelNerds

On a personal note, I would like to state that being a knife nut and not owning a copy of this book is about as smart as taking a dump before pulling your pants down. Just my take. ;)

As it’s now available for purchase, I’m interested to hear what others think, even if they‘ve only just managed to flip through it so far.

Just ordered me one. Coming Thursday. Thanks for the heads-up and review.

Edit: I have the attention span of a turnip. I start reading a book and get maybe half way through it before I’m too bored to finish it. I’ll be sure to come back to let you know if this one breaks that trend - it will be noteworthy to be sure.

I won't tell you guys about the vindaloo...
What’s there to tell? Consume with extreme caution!

Proofreading, editing, etc. is hard work. I have edited a few publications and such over time and it always exhausted me. I can only hope that I was not too annoying to the authors. Good luck with the book, it addresses a topic that most of us love.

Back