New Buck 040 Onset

The original Onset is Bucks first high end folder that I really wanted..I actually bid on one but very quickly was outbid. It's still on my buy if a bargain Buck buy list..

I’m not dying to get one….. BUT i do feel a slight fever coming on?
JK! DN

I remember when the limited one came out and I wanted one but the price was more than I could justify for a user.
I’m glad they are making a more user friendly type and I might get one but still debating it. I have so many great edc knives in my rotation now that are excellent edc knives so I might have to shuffle some and either sell or give them to friends or family. I’m torn about it though, my current ones have performed very well and I have no real reason to put them aside. 🤔

I would have liked to pick one up, but once again Buck didn't make it with a switchable pocket clip...:(
yep. although its a knife that would be better to have a lefty version. like crk does runs of. all liners and frame locks are trickier, using my southpaw mitt. I end up using 2 hands on them.

At $155 that's pretty high dollar for the work'n man.
even worse than we thought. selling at 179.99 one penny less than msrp at couple dealers i looked at including the bladehq site mentioned earlier in the thread.

even worse than we thought. selling at 179.99 one penny less than msrp at couple dealers i looked at including the bladehq site mentioned earlier in the thread.
Wow, that’s kinda high. I’m curious if lock up will be good. I hope so but my vantages were a little finicky. Too much force on the blade and it damn near took a flat screw driver to release lock up. Hope the Onset is perfect right out of the box.

Meh, I'm not surprised. They'll sell a few to the first of the keeners then the price will come down.

Wow, that’s kinda high. I’m curious if lock up will be good. I hope so but my vantages were a little finicky. Too much force on the blade and it damn near took a flat screw driver to release lock up. Hope the Onset is perfect right out of the box.

I always ask in the notes to check centering and lockup anytime I order a blade online. Doesn't always guarantee anything, but mostly takes care of it.

Now the price, I thought alot about this. First materials are simple, g10 and steel lock, BUT you Do get the s45v. Bearings a plus also. Then, ....design. it has been amazing how modern Buck has become, and I'm ok with the price from the standpoint of it takes money for a good design. USA made, at 180, I'm ok with it.

The Titanium version with Damasteel is nice. Unfortunately detent is extremely weak. Is not a good flipper. I’ve thought about bending the frame lock to bite harder but haven’t touched it. At Buck these were 250.00. Makes the 155.00 price tag a bit high. Maybe 125.00 would of been better but then there’s the S45 steel bringing the price up. Maybe if S30V was used the slightly lower price would of made sense.

Washers instead of bearings for me. I hope detent is good: I think there’s some video reviews out. 1627955791370.jpeg

The Titanium version with Damasteel is nice. Unfortunately detent is extremely weak. Is not a good flipper. I’ve thought about bending the frame lock to bite harder but haven’t touched it. At Buck these were 250.00. Makes the 155.00 price tag a bit high. Maybe 125.00 would of been better but then there’s the S45 steel bringing the price up. Maybe if S30V was used the slightly lower price would of made sense.

Washers instead of bearings for me. I hope detent is good: I think there’s some video reviews out. View attachment 1612590
if we could get that one again, but at 179.99 I'd be all over it.😉 even at the 250 id be all over it coughing up the money🤑.

the new version in steel frame the 149 price point is much more palatable.

Back