New dogwood full size firefly handles.

Sadly I was only able to attend bladeshow on Friday. Even more sad is that we didn't get any new becker blades. However, dogwood custom knives who makes the firefly scales for the tweeners now has scales for the full sized Beckers rolling out soon! I'm loving the firefly: this is my third set. Incase you didn't know, 30mins of direct sunlight can give 8 hours of glow.

Ever since I got married most of my camping has been car camping. Usually in one of the paved drive in spots next to all the nice RVs. Well when I'm out swinging blades and making noise I get the sense it makes everyone else feel uneasy. The full size grips give the bk4 a less threatening look. Probably a good thing. Definitely looks less threatening hanging out if the sheath on a pack. I think they have a new permanent spot on this bk4.

IMG_6417.JPG IMG_6418.JPG IMG_6420.JPG IMG_6421.JPG IMG_6422.JPG

How close are they to the feel of the factory ones? I have not changed any of my Becker scales because they they are a perfect fit for my hands.

OK there's the problem, the link I got from his listing in the knife maker's forums is dogwoodcustomworks.com that sent me a "Buy this site!" page type thingy, and that link given above is different.

I figured people might want to know. ;)

Hmmm a designated night knife for camp... is what I first thought.

Does the scale material appear to be prone to chipping/dings/etc. ? I'm researching aftermarket scales now, and came across these in my search. They certainly look unique, but I'm wondering if they are as durable as wood or micarta.

Guess I'll find out, I just ordered one. Blew this month's knife budget but my reason for getting as followed.

1 Glow in the dark for critter cutting in the field after dark.
2. After dark glow in the dark will be handy as I stated for a camp knife.
3. Seem to handy NOT to have for a hunting knife.

Now I have to decide if they go on the BK 5 or spare BK 2... I micartaed my other Beckers because I prefer that for what I use them for. I see what ever one I put them on will be used for a lot of camp game processing, hence their handle material would be good for that.

If any nicks or chips, simple Super Glue and Baking Soda trick should full those in pretty goodly.

Oh got Blue since the Glowy things seem Green. I would of gotten green handles but I think a better visibility handle would be better for the knife's purpose. Practicality had to win out some what.

They do not come with liners but they do not need them as they are exact copies of the originals. The reason I started making these is I set a knife down at dusk and spent a very uncomfortable, 20 min hoping to find the handle before the blade. The handles are also great for finding the knife in the dark or early morning. The stone glows green (green is the most efficient color).

OK so I decided I liked the clear, and it was on my GET list for my Beckers I found, had some extra budget and ordered them as well.

knifejunkie1928 knifejunkie1928

How well does the larger handled Firefly handle and wear for long duration use?

I think the Blue one will go on the BK 5 for large critter cutting purposes and the clear on either the spare 2 or spare 9. If long term bare handed handling is ok, it might go on the 4.

Back