New forge steel, ApexUltra

The article says it has high toughness even when it’s very hard, and that at a somewhat lower hardness it should be really tough (close to 80crv2 on the graph). I guess we’ll see!

apexultra seems to get around 10 ft-lbs at 65... but isn't tested to lower hardness
while 80crv2 is 30 ft-lbs at 61 hrc
low-alloy-toughness-2-14-20.jpg

apex-ultra-toughness.jpg

I'd love to see how tough it could get... if anyone has tested at lower hrc, please share results : )

Last edited:

Mecha

Titanium Bladesmith
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
apexultra seems to get around 10 ft-lbs at 65... but isn't tested to lower hardness
while 80crv2 is 30 ft-lbs at 61 hrc
low-alloy-toughness-2-14-20.jpg

apex-ultra-toughness.jpg

I'd love to see how tough it could get... if anyone has tested at lower hrc, please share results : )
Well if it ends up similar to 52100 at 61, as Larrin postulates, it should be plenty tough. :)

Stuart Davenport Knives

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Can't wait for the 0.060" thru 0.080" for stock removal! Those etching stencils shown on the IG updates look pretty cool! Have to have some of those as well.

I want to forge a 1/8" bolo machete or gladius from some apexultra...
just saying

Larrin Larrin the spec sheet indicates a "wide" range of the austenitizing temp-
Austenitize between 780 °C (1435°F) and 880°C (1615°F)
This is a great feature indeed.
Question - no grain growth at the higher hardening temp?

Super_Alloy_Alan

Basic Member
The answer is the additional alloying in a sentence. I'll explain more later but a small amount of anything does A LOT. And it's not so much the W addition because of it's molecular weight. I would assume everyone here knows this but small amounts of vanadium will pin grain boundaries henceforth growth. I'll get into it more when I can type more

Last edited:

Keith Nix

Head Grinder at Keith Nix Knives, Machinist
Platinum Member
I dont understand your ire, Alan. Larrin Thomas has contributed vast amounts of knowledge to this forum, free of charge. Maybe since you only joined last week you've missed much of that

Blues

hovering overhead
Staff member
Super Mod
Never mind gents, it's the return of a previously banned member under various guises. We'll keep banning him each time he reinvents himself.

Carry on. Sorry for the disruption. I should have known it was him...but I didn't bother to check until just a couple of minutes ago.

Keith Nix

Head Grinder at Keith Nix Knives, Machinist
Platinum Member
If you keep beating your head against the same wall you keep getting new knots on your head. 😉