New forge steel, ApexUltra

Looks great! I know its about the steel, and i hope you post some experiences down the road, how did you like the acacia?
I loved working with it Ben, I grew up on Oahu and acacia always reminds me of Hawaiian Koa, which I know are in the same family. The curl is really stunning and it was very easy/consistent to shape and polish. I really like how the lighter golden color paired with the forge scale and patina on the blade. Going to post photos tomorrow on social media and tag you. I’ll definitely keep watching for more acacia blocks when I need more for handles like this. Also I really like the labels you put on the blocks, makes it super simple to keep everything organized.

The price of shipping and tax almost double the cost of the steel but for one of the finest cutlery steel in history it should be well worth it.

297571765_5269289509791785_5935753058275874374_n.jpg

The price of shipping and tax almost double the cost of the steel but for one of the finest cutlery steel in history it should be well worth it.

297571765_5269289509791785_5935753058275874374_n.jpg
The bars that I saw available from Austria were only half the length of the bars Pops got so it makes sense that they were cheaper but if you got the same volume they are only $20 apart which is great for the fact that the bars had to ship internationally.

I really wanted to try Apex Ultra but since I don't forge 3/16 stock thickness is way to thick for my world, unfortunately.

I really wanted to try Apex Ultra but since I don't forge 3/16 stock thickness is way to thick for my world, unfortunately.
Same here. I think I recall where they said thinner stock would be rolled out in the future. I sure hope so, as we stock removal guys are a whole market to tap into. Even 1/8" is too thick for the cutlery I like to make. 1/16"-3/32" would be great.

I loved working with it Ben, I grew up on Oahu and acacia always reminds me of Hawaiian Koa, which I know are in the same family. The curl is really stunning and it was very easy/consistent to shape and polish. I really like how the lighter golden color paired with the forge scale and patina on the blade. Going to post photos tomorrow on social media and tag you. I’ll definitely keep watching for more acacia blocks when I need more for handles like this. Also I really like the labels you put on the blocks, makes it super simple to keep everything organized.
Definitely looks good in that wa handle kind of shape.

Just finished testing edge retention on the apex ultra knife, both 8670 and apex ultra tested well in cutting performance, I used 1/2” sisal rope to test how long until neither knife could cleanly cut paper. The 8670 baseline knife was hardened to 62 and made 1400 cuts and the apex ultra was hardened to 66 and made 1900 cuts and felt keener for longer, the 8670 knife kept a good working edge for a long time where the apex ultra hung on to its keen edge for a bit longer before filling down to a working edge. Both knives were sharpened on a 1000 grit stone and leather strop before starting the test and had very similar edge geometry. Both knives could have kept cutting rope but started to struggle significantly with paper when I stopped each knife. Also both knives were brought back to hair shaving sharp with only a leather strop by hand after 20-40 passes in total. Overall saw about a 40% increase in edge retention, but 1400 cuts was still a lot for the 8670 knife.

Just finished testing edge retention on the apex ultra knife, both 8670 and apex ultra tested well in cutting performance, I used 1/2” sisal rope to test how long until neither knife could cleanly cut paper. The 8670 baseline knife was hardened to 62 and made 1400 cuts and the apex ultra was hardened to 66 and made 1900 cuts and felt keener for longer, the 8670 knife kept a good working edge for a long time where the apex ultra hung on to its keen edge for a bit longer before filling down to a working edge. Both knives were sharpened on a 1000 grit stone and leather strop before starting the test and had very similar edge geometry. Both knives could have kept cutting rope but started to struggle significantly with paper when I stopped each knife. Also both knives were brought back to hair shaving sharp with only a leather strop by hand after 20-40 passes in total. Overall saw about a 40% increase in edge retention, but 1400 cuts was still a lot for the 8670 knife.
What were your temps for heat treating?

Hoss

Very impressive results from both. Apex ultra is definitely sounding like it may just live up to its name.

Last edited:
1540F 10 mins, fast oil quenched then to the freezer for 25 minutes and 365F tempering in low temp salt bath for 30 minutes.

I'm not sure there are others forge steel that can still scratched glass after 365F tempering....

298092808_5277483145639088_5899896234413810642_n.jpg

Back