New GEC Lock Back Bullbuster

I love the look of that red. Very nice.

I'm enjoying the green linen.

95h8X0Rh.jpg

I really like the covers on this one-- and love the sheath.

What's the shortest pocket knife (closed handle length) y'all would think would be retrievable from it?

~ P.

I really like the covers on this one-- and love the sheath.

What's the shortest pocket knife (closed handle length) y'all would think would be retrievable from it?

~ P.
Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier. I've been in the Adirondack Mountains the last few days.

The sheath favors a large 2 blade knife. I'd call it "large trapper sized".The Mudbug fits well. The Case Backpocket fits well. The GEC #42 fits well. A GEC #72 fits, but the knife is a bit small for the sheath. A medium Case stockman gets swallowed. A Beer Scout gets swallowed, with just the bail sticking out. A standard scout pattern would be too thick, without a lot of stretching. A Victorinox Pioneer is too small. I think that a Buck 110 might be too big.

Hope this helps.

Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier. I've been in the Adirondack Mountains the last few days.

The sheath favors a large 2 blade knife. I'd call it "large trapper sized".The Mudbug fits well. The Case Backpocket fits well. The GEC #42 fits well. A GEC #72 fits, but the knife is a bit small for the sheath. A medium Case stockman gets swallowed. A Beer Scout gets swallowed, with just the bail sticking out. A standard scout pattern would be too thick, without a lot of stretching. A Victorinox Pioneer is too small. I think that a Buck 110 might be too big.

Hope this helps.

Welp, I just remembered asking, searched back to find where, and: here you are!

I really appreciate your taking the time to get back to me. Your response, and especially your listing of which specific knives work and which don't, really helps.

Thanks!

~ P.

There should be a new run of the Mudbug in February of 2016.

Last edited:
Ordered my new Mudbug with Light Natural Linen Micarta covers at 12-noon sharp Central Standard Time today. Don't expect them to last long.

Vendor photo
kae4wHT.jpg

Last edited:
Ordered a OD Green one as soon as they went live. Checked back in a hour and a half and they were sold out. Gone fast

Olive and maroon for me. Would have liked a black, but not to be this time around.

Ordered my new Mudbug with Light Natural Linen Micarta covers at 12-noon sharp Central Standard Time today. Don't expect them to last long.

Vendor photo
kae4wHT.jpg
Congrats! A large locking sodbuster will be awesome. Post pic when it arrives.

Well, it's here. Certainly nothing to be excited about. As with many of these lockback knives made by GEC the locking mechanism is difficult to release. Other than that, the knife is ok. I darkened and oiled the blade for later use.

P6oRFzm.jpg
P6oRFzm.jpg

Here it is with a couple more Mudbugs that I have.

Ym0T17u.jpg

Last edited:
Well, it's here. Certainly nothing to be excited about. As with many of these lockback knives made by GEC the locking mechanism is difficult to release.
Copy that. Got mine yesterday too. The lockbar is extremely stiff. Hope that will break in a bit.

Just got mine yesterday. Lockbar is pretty stiff, but I think that's a reasonable trade-off for the bank vault like lock-up. I was also pleased to see how thin behind the edge the geometry is, even lowering the edge bevel angle to 10 degrees per side still left quite narrow edge bevels.
iLS4th9.jpg

LPY7jts.jpg

Post reprofile:
m2z6HkI.jpg

I guess I'm getting old. When is the new run of #21 Bull Buster knives going to be release? I went to GEC's site and couldn't find it nor the slab material that will cover them.

Last edited:
You'd think that for once, GEC would put at least one wood cover on these knives. If knifeswapper knifeswapper can have the Meserin Plow covered with Bocote Wood why wouldn't it be possible for GEC to use ebony or some other wood cover?

I have seen you spell Maserin at least three different ways now. M A S E R I N. maz rin. Talked to Bill, he said he was thinking about wood; but would have to do it with torx screws.

I have seen you spell Maserin at least three different ways now. M A S E R I N. maz rin. Talked to Bill, he said he was thinking about wood; but would have to do it with torx screws.

Don't get all excited Mike. It was a typo. Torx screws might be just the way GEC should go.

Back