1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Week 3 of the BladeForums 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways is live!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Busse Combat Custom Shop Flak Jack, or Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday January 19!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Congratulations winners! The Week 2 Giveaway has ended over on our YouTube Channel and here are the winners:
    BladeForums Logo Sticker: Impulse600
    BladeForums Velcro Patch: garythegoat
    BladeForums Logo Tshirt: crocgator106
    BladeForums paid subscription upgrade: billygoat78

Darrel Ralph Dominator 35: norcaldude Winners will be contacted by PM / email, so look for my message!

New guy, new knife

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by Whiskey_n_wine, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Whiskey_n_wine

Whiskey_n_wine

Jan 2, 2019
    Howdy folks,

After about 6 years of drooling over FF knives, I finally took the plunge. Picked up this OS Ladyfinger, desert ironwood, 3/32. I have to say, I'm blown away by this knife. The only issue I have is getting over the reluctance to actually use something so achingly beautiful.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hopefully, I did the image links right. Looking forward to using this beauty and adding a big brother for her down the road.

NScout, Fiddleback, PolRoger and 22 others like this.
  2. lmalterna

lmalterna Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Welcome aboard and very nice choice!

Bill

varga49 and Whiskey_n_wine like this.
  3. Odaon

Odaon Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Wow that one is a beauty! One of my favorite models. You did good! Welcome. :thumbsup:

Whiskey_n_wine likes this.
  4. jb33

jb33 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2017
    I don’t have an OSL but was eyeing that one at DLT for weeks. Great snag!

5. jaz322

jaz322 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2015
    You are going to love it. Welcome aboard!

varga49, Lady1911 and Whiskey_n_wine like this.
  6. Bmurray

Bmurray Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2012
    welcome and wow, what a way to start, that's beautiful.

varga49, Lady1911 and Whiskey_n_wine like this.
  7. CAD

CAD

Jan 11, 2006
    Congrats! Perfect choice :thumbsup:

varga49 and Lady1911 like this.
  8. NoRest

NoRest Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 27, 2015
    Welcome! I too was drawn to that one. Im happy you scored it as your first Fiddleback! I'm looking forward to seeing more pics of it in use!

9. Lady1911

Lady1911 Gold Member Basic Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2018
    Excellent choice! The Ladyfinger was my first fiddleback as well, and the one you’ve got is beautiful. Great way to start your collection. Welcome!

SLOsmokin and varga49 like this.
  10. SLOsmokin

SLOsmokin Gold Member Basic Member Gold Member

Feb 20, 2018
    Ladyfinger was my first too! In fact it’s in my pocket right now. Great all around tool. enjoy checking out other models, I just got a Osage duke in the mail today.
    Tom

11. got2hav1

got2hav1 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Awesome Fiddleback, Congrats !

varga49 likes this.
  12. ndmiller

ndmiller Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Beauty for sure, jus break the seal and cut up some potatoes, bacon and veggies for some hash. I grab a lot of my FF off the user market so I don't have to be the one to ruin the beauty per se, but I'm pretty much over that after a couple years.

Congrats, and welcome.

varga49 and Whiskey_n_wine like this.
  13. varga49

varga49 Gold Member Gold Member

May 1, 2016
    That is absolutely One Sweet Ladyfinger. I absolutely understand having difficulty using it..I mean any one of them are such beauties to behold. It took me awhile to overcome the urge to polish and/or just stare at it daily, from ever imaginable angle for sure. Not to mention the pictures :rolleyes:. I started using mine [FF 3/32 Shank] almost every day awhile back and watched it develop a respectable patina and a few scars [very minor]! It Is an entirely new relationship with that blade now. One that is infinitely more fulfilling I might add! Congratulations on your First Fiddleback and Welcome to your new [Fiddleback Forge] family.

Whiskey_n_wine and NoRest like this.
  14. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Congratulations, what steel is it?

15. Whiskey_n_wine

Whiskey_n_wine

Jan 2, 2019
    A2 steel.

16. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    Congratulations and Welcome aboard as other have stated. Post more pics of it in "Action":thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

17. Warrior108

Warrior108 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Wow, nice Ladyfinger!!

Don't be sceered to use it. Whatever you do, just don't loan it to @Bmurray :D

18. LostViking

LostViking Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2009
    @Whiskey_n_wine
    Beautiful knife!

Make yourself use it.
    Otherwise, what’s the sense?

Break it in as follows.
    Adhere strictly to the guide lines, or the knife will be ruined.

Drag it through a stick of warm butter length ways. To help slide the new the new off of it.

Next slice and and sauté some bacon to both rust proof and flavor it.

Then thinly slice some onions and add them to the bacon when it’s almost done.
    They will mask your scent and make you a great hunter,

Now, scramble 3 Rhode Island Red eggs, and swirl the blade in the mixture. The protien will bond with the blade and make it impervious to solar flares.

Dice up the bacon nice and small. Add the RIRs
    Heat the mixture outside, over an open wood fire. The fire should consist only of seasoned cherry wood. The pan should be cast iron. Prefferably older than you are.
    [​IMG]

While that is heating. Thinly slice Vermont Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese into long thin slices. Cabot Hunter’s Cheese will work in a pinch.

It is imperative that the label on the cheese wrapper be oriented north to south. You don’t want East/West Cheese. Bad JuJu!

Once the eggs are almost set.
    Say the Magic Words while sprinkling the cheese over the eggs with your left hand.

At the same time, hold your knife inverted, blade facing down and out, in your right hand. Moving it in a slow stabbing motion three times, while simultaneously uttering the words “Big Deal” “Big Deal” “Big Deal” to match each downward thrust. You may see some lightning, that’s normal.

Do not even attempt this unless you are committed. There is no reversal spell.
    [​IMG]

If you did everything right. Your new Old School Lady Finger is now ready to take on the world!

There is an alternative method. But it’s dangerous, and not for the faint of heart.

It involves fire and beef,
    [​IMG]

A “Witch Doctor from Helsinki” and copious amounts of alcohol!
    [​IMG]

***But it still comes down to the cheese in the end.
    You have to properly orient the cheese man!

North to South. There is no other way!
    [​IMG]

Welcome to the Hotel Fiddleback!
    You can check out, but you can never leave.

Good Luck,
    LV,

19. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    good stuff LV

i like "liked" it on the inside much more than the button can reflect:D

LostViking, Aias and Nbrackett like this.
  20. Nbrackett

Nbrackett Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 19, 2015
    I’ve been sprinkling the cheese with my right hand this whole time. Now I know what I was doing wrong.