New hatchet from the surplus store!

I like anything Canadian made and if I can't get Canadian made I look for American made. I sometimes end up with "Made in China" things but most of my tools are American made. Apparently my axe is Swiss and that's awesome too. I love military surplus from all over the world to be honest...

In that "An Axe to grind" he mentioned a tool call a four in the hand (I think) and it was two rasps and two files in one tool. Something about that makes me think it would be a good pack tool for maintaining my axe as the file would let me get it at least roughly sharp and the rasp would help if I was ever forced to replace the handle in the woods. I actually originally wanted a Tomahawk because it seemed like it would be easier to replace the handle in the field but when I seen the axe I remembered I wasn't afraid of a challenge.
A 4 in hand is for shaping wood, and wouldn't be suitable for maintaining an axe edge.
You could try a little 2$ hobby file, it has been mentioned that the steel on you're ace is on the softer side so the cheapo hobby file should hold up fine for occasional touch up work if it turns out to be good ( for what they often cost you just have to try one and see if it's any good )
I had one that lasted me a year of frequent use on all kinds of blades and it was only 1$.

Oh, well, that's good to know because it was like 30 bucks here for one of them 4 in hand things but the Nicholson Axe file is only 9.49 so I think I'll just stick to that and the puck. Thanks for the heads up, I was about to buy a 4 in hand today when I went to home depot, I would have been disappointed if it didn't work.

Oh, well, that's good to know because it was like 30 bucks here for one of them 4 in hand things but the Nicholson Axe file is only 9.49 so I think I'll just stick to that and the puck. Thanks for the heads up, I was about to buy a 4 in hand today when I went to home depot, I would have been disappointed if it didn't work.

Are you close to a Princess Auto?

They have cheap 4 in hands that are probably made in the same Chinese factory as the Home Depot stuff.

Just checked, $4.99 on sale until the 6th, reg. $11.99. They refer to it as a 4-in-1 rasp file.

Are you close to a Princess Auto?

They have cheap 4 in hands that are probably made in the same Chinese factory as the Home Depot stuff.

Just checked, $4.99 on sale until the 6th, reg. $11.99. They refer to it as a 4-in-1 rasp file.
Princess Auto is a wonderful source for many things inexpensive but not when it comes to quality. A $5 no-name file from them won't even last through the end of one job. Buy something decent and it'll last for many years and also not frustrate you from the get-go.

Princess Auto is a wonderful source for many things inexpensive but not when it comes to quality. A $5 no-name file from them won't even last through the end of one job. Buy something decent and it'll last for many years and also not frustrate you from the get-go.
You don't think one might last a little bit if only used on wood ? I've had experienced with the cheapo made in Japan 4 in hands that I have still work ok for being over 20 years old, but files from the same set certainly don't work well on metal.

Nicholson Axe file is only 9.49 so I think I'll just stick to that and the puck.
Another name for them is "Farmers File". Its a flat file with stamped handle about 10"x 3/4" wide, with medium & fine cut, one each side.
"Shoe Rasp" another name what those 4 in 1 files are called.

I don't have a Princess Auto near me, nearest one is over an hour away. I've got Home Hardware, Home Depot, Rona and Canadian Tire near me though. Canadian Tire didn't have the puck or axe file (At least on their website) which I find odd, as they almost always have that kind of stuff..

Can't disagree with you about PA and quality vs. price but like Hickory n steel suggested a wood rasp probably isn't going to be too bad and for five bucks you can see if it is a tool you would actually have a use for.

Something meant to work on hardened steel would be another matter all together and you should just go pay for quality at the outset.

Back