New here--At 75 do I still need to carry a knife?

drawkcaB

Gold Member
Hello fellow BF members, a retired engineer and architect here.

I have carried various folding knives during my working years (Schrade, Smith & Wesson, and Buck).

Now we live in a retirement community and my wife and I have a kitchen and garage replete with cutting implements.

So I’m asking myself “Do I still need to carry a knife?”

Well the answer for me is “Yes, I do, one that is light weight, light-duty, and easy to operate aged-handed”.

So I recently acquired two new Spyderco knives: a Dragonfly 2 and a Para 3 (both LW) that meet my requirements nicely.

However, even though my “requirements are met”, I’m about ready to click the order button on a Manix 2 LW.

Maybe a Native 5 also…

And our Focus ST really needs a Spyderco Rescue Assist (Orange) for his console box…

And then there’s the Mazda, feeling left out…

Oh, and we do live by a big lake, might need some Salt versions too…

I have carried various folding knives during my working years (Schrade, Smith & Wesson, and Buck).

Now we live in a retirement community and my wife and I have a kitchen and garage replete with cutting implements.

Well the answer for me is “Yes, I do, one that is light weight, light-duty, and easy to operate aged-handed”.

So I recently acquired two new Spyderco knives: a Dragonfly 2 and a Para 3 (both LW) that meet my requirements nicely.

However, even though my “requirements are met”, I’m about ready to click the order button on a Manix 2 LW.

Maybe a Native 5 also…

And our Focus ST really needs a Spyderco Rescue Assist (Orange) for his console box…

I mean, these are all excellent points. Sounds to me like you know very well what the answer is! Welcome to the Board.

Thanks! I seem to be a Spydie hole fanatic at the moment :)
Well, that's completely understandable. You mentioned "Aged-handed" in your post, and that makes a lot of sense. The Spyder-Hole is one of the best implementations for easy-opening of a folding knife, and backlocks are pretty easy to manipulate as well*, so they make great knives for those who might not have the manual dexterity they used to. And it doesn't hurt that they cut VERY well!

* Sit down, Cold Steel, not you. LOL

My pop was out for a visit. Long time Buck knife fan, and knocking on the door of 75 years old. He picked up one of my Spydercos - a PM2 - and while he was put off by the size, his eyebrows went up when he saw how easy it was to open.

He ultimately said it was too easy to open. Flicking it put his thumb uncomfortably close to the cutting edge. Years of hard work with hand tools and carpal tunnel issues have compromised his grip and dexterity. The instant-open scared him. He tried to slow roll it a fer times and liked that, but then fumbled with the compression lock. So the PM2 was not for him.

Welcome, by the way.

Keep carrying long as you can and set the standard for us as you do.

Yes, you still need a knife ! At 77 (1st knife at 6) I still carry my beloved Victorinox Tinker plus a simple thumbstud for heavier work (which I open one handed, but close with two hands). Once a knife guy always a knife guy. Welcome aboard.
Rich

Last edited:

Maybe a Native 5 also…

75 is the new 50.

So off course you still need a pocketknife!!

:cool: :thumbsup:

well, at 82 i generally carry a nice folder, a fixed blade scout-carry and a 9mm.
i live in a nice subdivision also, with several golf courses but no 'big" lake.
there are various reasons to carry a knife.
the fabric of this country is in peril from without as well as within. be safe; be prepared.

My pop was out for a visit. Long time Buck knife fan, and knocking on the door of 75 years old. He picked up one of my Spydercos - a PM2 - and while he was put off by the size, his eyebrows went up when he saw how easy it was to open.

He ultimately said it was too easy to open. Flicking it put his thumb uncomfortably close to the cutting edge. Years of hard work with hand tools and carpal tunnel issues have compromised his grip and dexterity. The instant-open scared him. He tried to slow roll it a fer times and liked that, but then fumbled with the compression lock. So the PM2 was not for him.

Welcome, by the way.

Keep carrying long as you can and set the standard for us as you do.
A manix 2 would be perfect for him then. Easy to open slow, but can flick it fast too.

drawkcaB drawkcaB

While I have never owned nor handled the LW Manix 2, the regular is a great knife. I like to customize my Spydies, so the LW are not a big draw to me because you can't customize. Anyway, here are a few pics of my Spydies. I also have arthritis, and find the thumbstuds to be the most difficult to open.

I agree about the Manix, except sometimes the spring is so strong that disassembly is needed to snip off a revolution or two from the spring. So not a pinned construction, just models with screws.
Nice specimen on that photo BTW.

Thanks to you all for your kind welcome :)

To answer some questions posed:

I have a couple of older assisted-opening knives (Kershaw and CRKT) in my drawer.

They would work ergonomically for me if I decided to EDC them, but some of my elderly neighbors here would faint-on-sight!

Push button is a good idea too, I have a ceramic bladed one that is my go-to for mail opening.

And yes, it’s a good idea to have more than one knife in case I forget which pocket it’s in, or which pants I have on…

Speaking of pants, that’s why I’m going with LW, so I don’t need suspenders :)

Thanks K.O.D. for your inspiring Spydie pics, I have lots of tools and like to tinker…

Last edited:
Back