New HK Axis Knife, but Not by Benchmade?!

Don't like these, but I hope this makes other companies realize they too can/should come out with Axis lock models

Yeah. I kinda wonder if this will open the floodgates.

I was thinking everyone was kind of nervous to be the first company to do it because they were worried about drawing the ire of the knifebuying community. If there is no backlash against Hogue I have a feeling we will be seeing it alot more.

Also shouldn’t Benchmade in a way be happy? I thought they paid royalties to McHenry William for the lock anyway.

Not impressed with these Hogue Axis Lock knives. Won't be buying one. Especially at the asking prices.

Hogue quality is superior to Benchmade and it will be interesting to see if the "pivot lock" suffers from the Axis lock blade play/centering issues.

I'm guessing the steel is CPM-154 based on the latest Hogue knives.

Street pricing will determine sales and normal Hogue MAP is 15% off MSRP.

IMG_3433-e1516632243930-600x255.png

Last edited:
I made some inquiries to HK Knives and here’s what they said:

“We use 154CM stainless steel which takes and holds a keen edge.

HK Knives will be available through Hogue, Inc. dealers and distributors and they may be available at a reduced cost.

We have availability now and you can order directly through the HK Knives website.”​

Hogue quality is superior to Benchmade and it will be interesting to see if the "pivot lock" suffers from the Axis lock blade play/centering issues.

I'm guessing the steel is CPM-154 based on the latest Hogue knives.

Street pricing will determine sales and normal Hogue MAP is 15% off MSRP.

IMG_3433-e1516632243930-600x255.png
If they're sticking to the 15% off I can do without. If, however, they follow Benchmade's model on the H&K line and run them without MAP (which seems very possible, as I assume that decision rests with H&K not Hogue), then I may end up with some in my collection.

I like the Exemplar and curious to see how the “pivot lock” compares to Benchmade’s Axis lock.

However, the street price is key. The thumbled blade with black G-10 has a MSRP of $149.95 and at 15% off it’ll be $127.45 which is not too bad but it’ll affect sales.

Comparing Exemplar to Benchmade Axis folders with 154CM/G-10 shows that Exemplar is more affordable. Pardue is the cheapest at $136, 300 Axis flipper is $153 and Rift is $170.

You can see the new H&K Knives made by Hogue Knives starting at the 9:00 time mark in the following video. There'll be lower cost options with polymer instead of G-10.

Last edited:
Of all the Hogue knives the Exemplar is the one that interests me the most.

The HK Exemplar Pivot Lock folder with a 3.25" stonewash 154CM blade and black G-10 is in stock at BladeHQ for $127.46.

HK-Exemplar-Pivot-Lock-Black-G-10-SW-54156-BHQ-80680-jr.jpg

HK-Exemplar-Pivot-Lock-Black-G-10-SW-54156-BHQ-80680-jr-spine.jpg

HK-Exemplar-Pivot-Lock-Black-G-10-SW-54156-BHQ-80680-jr-side.jpg

By looking at the Exemplar and the torx scale screw closest to the pivot.It looks like it will be a G-10 handle with partial s/s liner like a BM Griptilian

Boy, they've managed to make that G-10 look an awful lot like plastic.
Hogue manages that in a weird way. The Gmascus on my EX-01 honestly looks a little cheesy (IMO), but feels great in the hand. And apparently they are coming out with a GFN/FRN variant of the Exemplar, so I think it's safe to say this one is the real deal.

I saw that the Sig version of the Ex01 comes with a deep carry clip. I gotta get Hogue to send me one of those because my ex01 came with that dumb spoon clip. Imho that spoon clip totally ruins the aesthetic of an otherwise awesome knife.

Apparently, there will be more Exemplar models with G-10 and polymer handles and different blade lengths. I’m waiting on a G-10 model with a 3” blade.

Back