New Hybrid Viper EO Teardrop

That's good news for me, Paul. I'm hoping GEC rebirths the Maher & Grosh swell center canoe (also called surveyor or railsplitter). I also expressed that interest to the current owner of the Maher & Grosh brand name. The knife that was passed around may be one from his collection.

The melon tester with the pocket clip was made by Ulster in the USA. I've also seen some branded Linder and Henckels. Those had clips that didn't look like little melon ballers. I think the clip on the Ulster was just a common style of pocket clips back then. I think I've seen something similar on pencils.

Alrighty! Hopefully should have a couple of these to try by next weekend or so!

This looks like a fun new design, I hope they don't disappoint. I dig the open back design, but have gotten pretty used to a backspring on this kind of knife.

Good eye, Taylor. I see that the reservations are closed now. Did that happen recently?

I'm just on "Notify" status for a Carbon Fiber so I won't get any notifications unless there are still some left. Pretty sure I'm gonna snatch one up but time will tell if I like it or not.

I'm a little on the fence about the lack of a backspring too. It might not have a whole heck of a lot of snap but ironically, that's the main reason that I want one. I want to see what the action is all about.

Good eye, Taylor. I see that the reservations are closed now. Did that happen recently?

I'm just on "Notify" status for a Carbon Fiber so I won't get any notifications unless there are still some left. Pretty sure I'm gonna snatch one up but time will tell if I like it or not.

I'm a little on the fence about the lack of a backspring too. It might not have a whole heck of a lot of snap but ironically, that's the main reason that I want one. I want to see what the action is all about.
Yep, Rick, I noticed they were closed pretty recently and got my "sure" notification earlier this afternoon.

I'm eager to try one, for some reason, I expect the action to be similar to the BM Proper, which I also really like.

Same here. I have to experience it before I even hazard a guess! I am optimistic!:thumbsup:
I bet you get an email soon for 'notify'.

Same here. I have to experience it before I even hazard a guess! I am optimistic!:thumbsup:
I bet you get an email soon for 'notify'.

I just paid for my maple burl, and I’m looking forward to trying out the action myself.

Last edited:
I’m excited! I received my email today for my guaranteed reserve maple Burl model.

I think the detention system will be good. I have a non-traditional Spyderco Sage 1 with the detent system (no half stop) and its a great knife.

Plus, I’m excited for my first shadow pattern until my new 71’s arrive.

Paid for my bocote this afternoon. Mike usually gets them out pretty quickly, so it shouldn't be too long before I have it in hand.

I wish I had seen this thread earlier. Curious things about the whole ‘is it or is it not traditional’. My own answer would probably lie somewhere in the middle. The knives in my photos are definitely traditional handle and blade styles, but the construction is definitely modern. The Viper DAN was mentioned some pages back and I would say that is 100% modern because it’s not based on a traditional pattern.

Having owned and used several of the Viper knives with the ‘action stopper’ detent system, maybe I can answer a few questions....

The pivot screws on mine are fairly tight, creating a stiff resistance to opening. When the detent ball finds its home, there’s an audible snap sound. There definitely isn’t any ‘flipping’ or gravity knife action on any of mine. I’ve carried the Gobbo styled knife a fair amount in the last 3 years I’ve owned it and I haven’t noticed the detent lightening up at all. In fact, that particular knife has a quite stiff opening with very good detent snap. I would consider it as reliable as a SAK in terms of spring strength.

The following knives are all traditional Italian styles unique to particular regions. The Gobbo is my favorite although somewhat elusive in my search for a handmade old world one. Unfortunately, these knives were only available in Europe. I’m a sucker for paying international shipping costs. I put the Roundhead Barlow there to show relative size. The main drawback is the 440A steel. :rolleyes:

acsmr6.jpg

a4u2hw.jpg

Just got my notices and paid for my two examples of the CK tear drop today. Looking forward to that M390!

I just got me email today to notify me that the CollectorKnives Viper EZ Open is available and I just ordered the Canvas Micarta and am looking forward to it. Who else thinks these things look great and has ordered one and if so which one?

Ordered CF. Really tempted by the bocote. Sad I missed the Burl. That looks amazing.

I had to give up my reservation for the Maple Burl. Hopefully that will allow one of you on standby to score one. I will look forward to everyone's thoughts on this pattern, I am genuinely curious about it.

Back