New Kershaw Knives Website!

Wouldn't call it an improvement over the old site, it's still slightly annoying just in a different way. View all (even if only within the catagories) would make it easier to use, the current 5 knife limit makes for too much waiting for pages (I'm not on a slow connection either). Larger images (ala Benchmade) would be nice. The ability to browse items indiscriminately should not be overlooked, I often find things I wasn't looking for (or didn't even know exsisted) simply because they were there to be seen along with most everything else. Don't mean this in a harsh way, I own a number of Kershaw knives & can't wait for the new Random Leek to go on sale, just never liked the website much.

Anyone know if you can buy parts for the Leek? I've love to be able to put Ti scales on a Random blade & no I'm not interested in buying a ZDP just to get the scales.

This site is awful! Most important - it break my browser, which never happened before. And website wich make my browser to collapse is last thing I will visit again.

But in general it seems like it is way overdesigned demonstrates all this flash or whatever cool features so it is clear from the first look that developers are really cool. It makes it slow, it makes it hard to browse, because amount of information presented to viewer very limited or hidden behind all this cool interface elements - buttons, menues, scrollbars etc.

I think website should provide information first as many as someone who browsing web may absorb. It better looks cool, but first should be availability of content - information. I think website should looks like magazine or printed catalog not like ATM machine.

Thanks, Vassili

and Randomly blinking background is just unacceptable - I guess it may provoke epilepsy attack.

P.S. To be absolutely honest majority of manufacturers sites are like this. Simple becaus ethey do not care too much. To see good site - chech one which really depends on visitors - for example BladeForms...

A great improvement on the old site and _very_ fast for me on broadband.

I noticed 'desinger <sic> bios' too.

Also agree a 'Show All' or 10 to a page would be better.

Seems to a be a much larger range of kitchen knives than I remember?

I especially liked the "desinger bios":D

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

It's a big improvement over the old site. I don't like that kershawknives.com takes you to KAI USA instead of directly to Kershaw. I know it's the same company but it's kind of annoying.

The new Kershaw website is up and running!
"Crawling" would be a more accurate word for it than "running." :grumpy:

What do you think?
It's as unusable for me as the old site, just in a different way. I go to the new site, click on the "Kershaw" link on the front page, I get to a page that causes my browser to slam one of my CPUs to 100% utilization, screen graphics turn molasses slow, and nothing on the page appears to work.

What do you think? Comments, suggestions?
Yeah: Kershaw needs to fire whomever they're using for web designers and hire someone competent.

Great to see the site being more accessible at least to me.
We're sure helping Kershaw to improve here with our threads, and maybe get a forum going.
I particularly like the bio section:
"Select a designer" - Ken Onion.
Gosh, has ever one designer been so central to a company (other than his own)?

I wonder why some people are having trouble with CPU speed? We have a three computer "network" at my house and the Kershaw site loads quickly and nvigates quickly on both desktops and our laptop computer. We have a 3MB cable speed.

My only suggestion for the website would be more graphic design. The old Kershaw site had better artwork and showed off the knives better. I don't like the plain white background.

It's a big improvement over the old site. I don't like that kershawknives.com takes you to KAI USA instead of directly to Kershaw. I know it's the same company but it's kind of annoying.

You never get 'taken' to 'Kai USA', that is just the page name that the designer has given it. The web address never moves from within the domain www.kershawknives.com. I can find any page that leaves the domain.

Perhaps tt would be better named 'Kershaw USA - a wholly owned subsidiary of Kai Japan'. :)

For those of you who are having problems, are you using browsers other than Microsoft?

Sounds like software incompatabilities to me. I am running a fairly new installation (March 2006) of XP Pro with IE7 on a 1 mbps broadband telephone connection. Every page takes less than a half second to load.

My CPU useage does zip up to 99% on the products page, but only for the instant that the page loads, and then it drops back to 5 - 12%, and this is on an old, but well made P111 - 850, custom build with 256 Mb RAM.

some of you need to get new computers.

...you should all know by now that they become "bricks" after 9 months :jerkit:

other than the site being a bit square'ish, its cool. :thumbup:

Right, I'll lay out hundreds, or even thousands of dollars, and spend God knows how many hours of installation and configuration time, on a new computer and software because Kershaw/Kai can not or will not hire competent web designers. *snort* I don't think so, Tim.

I don't have such problems with Spyderco's site. I don't have such problems with Benchmade's site. In fact: The only knife manufacturer's/maker's/seller's site I've ever had a problem with, other than minor formatting issues, has been Kershaw's.

It doesn't really matter all that much to me. I can usually find what I want at a Kershaw/Kai reseller's site. It's more a minor irritation than anything else.

You never get 'taken' to 'Kai USA', that is just the page name that the designer has given it. The web address never moves from within the domain www.kershawknives.com. I can find any page that leaves the domain.

Perhaps tt would be better named 'Kershaw USA - a wholly owned subsidiary of Kai Japan'. :)

I was refering more to the content of the page rather than the domain name or the name of the page. To put it another way... when you type in pontiac.com you want to see Pontiacs, not a page with Chevy, Buick, Hummer blah blah.... :)

Right, I'll lay out hundreds, or even thousands of dollars, and spend God knows how many hours of installation and configuration time, on a new computer and software because Kershaw/Kai can not or will not hire competent web designers. *snort* I don't think so, Tim.

It doesn't really matter all that much to me. I can usually find what I want at a Kershaw/Kai reseller's site. It's more a minor irritation than anything else.

If it doesn't really matter that much to you, then why do you personally attack Kershaw's web designers? That is uncalled for. You've made it clear you don't like the site, so why make it a personal attack? Just don't go to the site.

o why make it a personal attack? Just don't go to the site

We were asked to give our opinion, now you don't want them?

The site suffers from the "new wave" of web design, using flash and other gimmicky features instead of careful thoughtful web design. But that's want some people want.
Personally I agree it could be improved quite a bit, firing the web designer might just a bit harsh.

i also vote for termination of the web designer-my goodness that is a rotten design-

if they guy doesnt get fired at least demote him to janitor,he made such a crappy web design maybe he is good at cleaning that stuff up also

We were asked to give our opinion, now you don't want them?

Opinions about the web site are fine, attack all you want. But why call someone you don't know incompetent? My wife is a web designer/computer engineer and she does what she is told. If a company wants a web page designed a certain way, she does it. Do you think she would tell an employer that they are stupid for wanting a web page designed a certain way? No, she wants the work and needs the money.

employer that they are stupid for wanting a web page designed a certain way

You're right and I allude to that in my comments. But we don't really know if management wanted it that way or just approved a design they where given.

<shrug>

If it doesn't really matter that much to you, then why do you personally attack Kershaw's web designers?
Oh, I dunno... somebody asked for opinions, mebbe?

That is uncalled for.
Why is it "uncalled-for?"

You've made it clear you don't like the site,
No, I made it quite clear I think the site was designed and implemented poorly. There's a difference.

so why make it a personal attack?
There was no "personal" attack. I expressed the opinion that whomever is responsible for that site's design and implementation should be fired and competent designers hired. If you want to see personal attacks, just follow your current course for a bit and I'm sure you'll see lots ;)

Just don't go to the site.
Well, doh! :rolleyes:

Opinions about the web site are fine, attack all you want. But why call someone you don't know incompetent?
You're right! It was probably Kershaw's decision to create bloated content that is difficult to maneuver, apparently has browser (version) incompatibilities so severe it seizes some browser/OS combinations, sends CPU utilization through the roof on others, and crashes still others. I'm also confident that the web designer(s) told Kershaw "Look, we're not going to make the content valid HTML/XHTML, we're not going to make it sight-impaired-friendly, and we're sure you won't mind that your home page, alone, will contain 41 HTML validation errors."

Yes, I'm sure Kershaw's just fine with all that.

Damn good thing for us Kershaw's product quality is a damn sight better, eh?

My wife is a web designer/computer engineer
No offense intended, nygiantsfan3342, but so-called "web designers" are a dime a dozen. Good web designers, OTOH, are not. You'll have to define "computer engineer" for me, as everybody and their sibling with so little as an MCSE is calling themselves a "computer engineer" these days.

and she does what she is told. If a company wants a web page designed a certain way, she does it. Do you think she would tell an employer that they are stupid for wanting a web page designed a certain way?
If she informs said employer of the implications of what they're demanding and they require it anyway: She's done her job. But if she fails to inform, she's not. Snideness aside: I find it hard to believe Kershaw is aware of just how poor, from both a technical and usability perspective, their new site design is.

Or, at least, they didn't ;)

Back