New (larger) Gunhammer in the works

Is it $500 worth of comfortable? :p

Not as comfortable as an XM-18 or XM-24 or a Strider even though I don't like them. I thought once you had the initial settings down for CNC - reproduction time goes down as one's just making copies. Good luck on this one. I suppose I wanted to get a Darrel Ralph it would have to be a Madd Maxx, cuz that's just crazy high for that tiny bit of extra reach - negligible. With all due respect for Darrel.

Not as comfortable as an XM-18 or XM-24 or a Strider even though I don't like them. I thought once you had the initial settings down for CNC - reproduction time goes down as one's just making copies. Good luck on this one. I suppose I wanted to get a Darrel Ralph it would have to be a Madd Maxx, cuz that's just crazy high for that tiny bit of extra reach - negligible. With all due respect for Darrel.

Well, we don't even know that this will be the final price, or that the handle is the cause of the price difference. All we can do is speculate to subside our anticipation until Hark gets back to us.

I hope the price doesn't end up being so steep. I really want to get a Gun Hammer.

Well, we don't even know that this will be the final price, or that the handle is the cause of the price difference. All we can do is speculate to subside our anticipation until Hark gets back to us.

I hope the price doesn't end up being so steep. I really want to get a Gun Hammer.

Me too bro, I was the first one that started bugging Darrel for it.

Kinda makes me glad that the legal limit here is 3.5" and I can't have one of those.

What state do you live in, Falcon?

Me too bro, I was the first one that started bugging Darrel for it.

Prayers are answered...in the order in which they were received. :rolleyes:

This thing is so awesome I can almost taste the jpeg. Wanty wanty.

ghb2_medium.jpg

That would be Colorado, as opposed to Ohio. I honestly don't even care any more though. I got my TNK copper handled one, and it's like a dream come true. There's very little that could make this knife more perfect to me.

That would be Colorado, as opposed to Ohio. I honestly don't even care any more though. I got my TNK copper handled one, and it's like a dream come true. There's very little that could make this knife more perfect to me.

I watched your video review of the "Copperhead" Gun Hammer - well done. I like to see every angle of the knife, and I like to see it opened and closed multiple times to really get a sense of how it feels. You should do more reviews.

I know I want to get a Gun Hammer: I've got a fat wad of cash ready to drop on one. The only question is: how much will this 4-incher cost? FSM, the suspense is murder.

Can you hear us, Hark? :D

I know I want to get a Gun Hammer: I've got a fat wad of cash ready to drop on one. The only question is: how much will this 4-incher cost? FSM, the suspense is murder.
Depending on just how fat that wad of cash is, you could always just pick up that sweet DDR custom Gunhammer Radian that Neil added to the TNK site within the last 24 hours or so. :D

Depending on just how fat that wad of cash is, you could always just pick up that sweet DDR custom Gunhammer Radian that Neil added to the TNK site within the last 24 hours or so. :D

Heh, it's not that fat. Certainly sizable enough to get me a 3.5" Gun Hammer, or a 4" if the price is right.

I've really been looking into a lot of DR's other designs as well. I picked up a Camillus Heat in a trade recently, and I currently have a Camillus Aftermath in my sights. DR's interpretation of the Bowie blade is gorgeous, and I want to get my hands on every example I can find.

Alright guys, I got some more info about why the 4 inch Gunhammer is 5-600 bucks. The whole frame is titanium. Darrel tells me the build time takes 4 times as long as an aluminum frame. Keep in mind that the 600 dollar price tag is probably for the damascus bladed 4 inch Gunny. I'd say 500 bucks for a full ti framed knife is not a bad price for a mid-tech. There are other makers with midtechs in that price range.

And about the s30v versus s35vn bit, I've talked to many knife owners that have used both steels extensively. Most have said that the difference is almost imperceptible.

Alright guys, I got some more info about why the 4 inch Gunhammer is 5-600 bucks. The whole frame is titanium. Darrel tells me the build time takes 4 times as long as an aluminum frame. Keep in mind that the 600 dollar price tag is probably for the damascus bladed 4 inch Gunny. I'd say 500 bucks for a full ti framed knife is not a bad price for a mid-tech. There are other makers with midtechs in that price range.

And about the s30v versus s35vn bit, I've talked to many knife owners that have used both steels extensively. Most have said that the difference is almost imperceptible.

Boom, that's what I thought. Darrel doesn't strike me as being a maniac. :D

I have to say, I'm both excited and heart-broken at this news. A titanium-framed Bowie Gun Hammer sounds absolutely perfect. The fact that it costs so much hurts because I won't be able to get it for awhile longer, but I am in no way deterred. I will save up for this knife and make my first Darrel Ralph a doozy. Thanks for the news, Hark!

Now the question is, what kinds of handle styles will be available? 3D machined titanium? Flat with type-III military coating? Seeing the variations and choices is going to be rad.

Boom, that's what I thought. Darrel doesn't strike me as being a maniac. :D

I have to say, I'm both excited and heart-broken at this news. A titanium-framed Bowie Gun Hammer sounds absolutely perfect. The fact that it costs so much hurts because I won't be able to get it for awhile longer, but I am in no way deterred. I will save up for this knife and make my first Darrel Ralph a doozy. Thanks for the news, Hark!

Now the question is, what kinds of handle styles will be available? 3D machined titanium? Flat with type-III military coating? Seeing the variations and choices is going to be rad.

Yea, Darrel is a mad scientist, but he's always methodical. There's always a method to his madness as the saying goes.

I'll ask about the grip options, though I'm almost positive they are the 3d machined ETAC type. Type III ano is only for aluminum if I'm not mistaken. Anodizing aluminum basically puts "rust" on the aluminum. The difference between rust on steel and rust on aluminum is that aluminum oxide actually actually acts as a sealer. I believe the alu oxide also makes the surface physically harder. Titanium is not subject to rusting so doesn't need Type III ano or any ano for that matter. With that said, I'm guessing the ti will be available in different colors, which is what ano-ing ti is usually done for.

I'm out unless the mad scientist comes down to earth on this one. :(

Awesome! I knew there had to be some significant change like a shift to Ti handles to explain the price difference. Totally makes sense given the time and tooling that doing an ETAC titanium frame will involve. :thumbup:

Also, the two 3.5" HTM Gunhammers I ordered from TNK arrived earlier today. They're awesome and feel very good in the hand, but I definitely prefer the size and feel of the slightly larger DDR custom Gunhammer I have. So like the custom, the 4" HTM Gunhammer should be a great fit for me in terms of size and feel. I'm definitely in for (at least) one with a torpedo blade! :D

Yea, Darrel is a mad scientist, but he's always methodical. There's always a method to his madness as the saying goes.

I'll ask about the grip options, though I'm almost positive they are the 3d machined ETAC type. Type III ano is only for aluminum if I'm not mistaken. Anodizing aluminum basically puts "rust" on the aluminum. The difference between rust on steel and rust on aluminum is that aluminum oxide actually actually acts as a sealer. I believe the alu oxide also makes the surface physically harder. Titanium is not subject to rusting so doesn't need Type III ano or any ano for that matter. With that said, I'm guessing the ti will be available in different colors, which is what ano-ing ti is usually done for.

Great info. I'll do more research and educate myself on the properties of aluminium and titanium when used as tool handles. Redox is an interesting process and can certainly have varying effects depending on the material being affected.

There is method to Darrel's madness yes -- or madness to his method, depending on which quality one prefers to prioritize. ;)

It's interesting: when you spend enough time collecting knives you notice the distinct tiers of workmanship and quality -- quantifiably, those tiers are usually distinguishable based on price point. A $500-600 estimate would place this new Gun Hammer on the order of a Chris Reeve or a Rick Hinderer; at the top of the food chain and just before true handmade customs. I haven't ventured into that realm of price-points yet, though I have held a Sebenza and I could feel the quality the moment I picked it up.

If I am to venture into the territory of top tier knives, I am willing to step off the more-common path and buy a DR as an alternative to a CRK or Hinderer. As I've said before, I like what I've seen so far -- not just from pictures and hearsay, but from the behaviour and attitude of Mr. Ralph himself here on the forums. A man's reputation is his most valuable asset.

The way I see it, you're better off spending a greater amount of money once on a single, high-quality item than you are on something that will need to be repaired or replaced frequently. I'm going to look at as many DR designs as I can and decide on which one best suits my needs, desires, and demeanour.

I love this forum. HTM is slowly becoming my new favourite company.

I'm out unless the mad scientist comes down to earth on this one. :(

What would be your ideal price, cziv?

Oh man... Ti ETAC? Durn you state law... Would be nice to see a less expensive aluminum version though. But thats very cool. Makes me wonder if damascus etac would be possible on a custom...

A large Sebenza is over 400 dollars with a 3.6 inch blade and flat titanium scales. Small Sebenzas with graphics cost around 480 bucks. Just an example and definitely not meant to belittle the Sebenza.

The 4 inch HTM Gunny will have machined titanium scales. I know it's more than many people here can spend right now especially in this economy, but I just want to let it be known that the price is reasonable for something with that kind of intricate machining.

There will be handle inlay options but these will cost extra because they come from the custom shop.

Last edited:
Back