New (larger) Gunhammer in the works

Is it going to be a liner lock or frame lock?

That's a good question.

I just assumed it was a framelock because the handles were being made of titanium. But if the form is going to be maintained, then they might end up being scales.

Hark, can you ask DR if the 4-inch is going to be a liner lock or a framelock?

That's a good question.

I just assumed it was a framelock because the handles were being made of titanium. But if the form is going to be maintained, then they might end up being scales.

Hark, can you ask DR if the 4-inch is going to be a liner lock or a framelock?
I'd be really surprised if it ended up being a liner lock. Like you implied, it'd be kinda strange to go to the trouble and expense of making the switch to titanium scales and not making it a framelock like the full custom Gunhammer.

The 4 inch titanium HTM Gunhammer is a framelock only.

Though my custom is a linerlock (or will be whenever it's finished).

Last edited:
It's a framelock only.

Cool! All the custom Gunhammers I've seen have been framelocks, so I'll be eager to see what a liner lock version looks like.

The 4 inch titanium HTM Gunhammer is a framelock only.

Assisted opening. Bowie-style 4-inch blade in S30V. Titanium frame lock. Textured handling. This will be the perfect knife.

Any idea when orders will be accepted? Or when the knife itself will be available? Christmas is coming up! :D

I will ask.

Best mod ever. We've gotta get you a fruit basket or something.

I just got my first DR-designed knife today - an old Camillus Heat. :D It's an inexpensive beater, but the ergos on the knife really give you a sense of DR's overall design insight.

I think I've figured out why a lot of Darrel's knives have so much appeal (at least for me). When you look at some of their handle profiles, you notice a subtle "hourglass" figure, with the knife thickest at its pivot and butt, and thinnest near the middle. It gives the knife the form of an attractive woman, and it gives you a tight little waist to hold on to, with the broader parts on either side keeping your hand locked tightly.

Great design and aesthetics. I know that the ti-GH will be a winner.

Next year, early summer is the tentative time frame, but the project is a bit behind so it may be after. No preorders. DDR does not usually offer preorders. My best guess is, once the dealers get wind of the 4 inch ti framelock HTM Gunnies, they'll offer preorders.

The custom version can be ordered now though, and by custom I mean not HTM.

Last edited:
Next year, early summer is the tentative time frame, but the project is a bit behind so it may be after. No preorders. DDR does not usually offer preorders. My best guess is, once the dealers get wind of the 4 inch ti framelock HTM Gunnies, they'll offer preorders.

The custom version can be ordered now though, and by custom I mean not HTM.

That makes sense.

You know, considering how close the price estimates are between the HTMs and the customs, I think I may just wait and save up to get a custom Gunny instead. By the time the HTM 4-inch GH comes out I should have enough to afford a custom anyways.

Waiting sucks, but I'll carry my Camillus Heat in the meantime to stave off the DDR cravings. :) Thanks again for the info, Hark.

Best mod ever. We've gotta get you a fruit basket or something.

I just got my first DR-designed knife today - an old Camillus Heat. :D It's an inexpensive beater, but the ergos on the knife really give you a sense of DR's overall design insight.

I think I've figured out why a lot of Darrel's knives have so much appeal (at least for me). When you look at some of their handle profiles, you notice a subtle "hourglass" figure, with the knife thickest at its pivot and butt, and thinnest near the middle. It gives the knife the form of an attractive woman, and it gives you a tight little waist to hold on to, with the broader parts on either side keeping your hand locked tightly.

Great design and aesthetics. I know that the ti-GH will be a winner.

BE,
Your right.
The hourglass figure is the Divine shape. :>)))))))))
It also works well in the hand!

Thanks for the observation.

That's a fair point. The cost of CNC machining the longer aluminum handle might be substantially higher. But if that's the case, DR should consider changing the handle on the larger version to reduce cost. Most people (like myself) are only going to see the difference in blade length and get confused by the price discrepancy.

My thoughts exactly.

The new 4 inch will be a TI handle.
The time to make and build the knife is 5 times more than a aluminum handle.
The point is to make a limited run if TI Knives with the fascinating 3D sculpted handles that this knife has. One of the other points that we try to achieve as designers is too, design and make a knife that is as close to impossible for others to make as we can. Hark commented that certain designers having a style of their own. This is the reason that some are recognizable and some are not at the first glance. We strive to produce original designs that can be tagged as our style and creation, thus giving the collectors like you a reason to have one. We pride ourselves in our collectors who follow our ideas and believe that they are solid, ahead of time and because of their originality and other features.
on another note.....It is also a frame lock!!!! LOL

There may be a aluminum version after the limited run... who knows?

The point is to make a limited run if TI Knives with the fascinating 3D sculpted handles that this knife has. One of the other points that we try to achieve as designers is too, design and make a knife that is as close to impossible for others to make as we can. Hark commented that certain designers having a style of their own. This is the reason that some are recognizable and some are not at the first glance. We strive to produce original designs that can be tagged as our style and creation, thus giving the collectors like you a reason to have one. We pride ourselves in our collectors who follow our ideas and believe that they are solid, ahead of time and because of their originality and other features.

Okay Darrel so if I understand, the HTM 4" bladed Gunhammer will be a "limited run" (numbered?) and have an "exposed framelock" a la CRk, Strider, Hinderer right? The non-locking side (I hope) will be either thin ss or ti lined with g-10 (I hope) overlay and not aluminum (hate it)?

No harm in asking right? And I may be dealing myself back into the game depending on the response that I hope I get. ;)

Thank you for that clarification, Darrel.

And now that I think about it, that makes perfect sense. The calibre of your knives is well beyond the consideration of the average consumer, so things like handle differentiation and material are geared towards a collector's interests.

Well, collector's item or not, I'm going to use that ti-Gun Hammer. Knives are made to be used, and considering how much of your time will go into machining that titanium, I won't do your efforts disservice by just leaving the knife on a shelf. :D

If you ever get to talk to Darrel at length at a knife show about design philosophy eventually you'll hear about his quest to want to improve designs all the time and keep moving his products forward in evolution.

backlr.jpg
Okay Darrel so if I understand, the HTM 4" bladed Gunhammer will be a "limited run" (numbered?) and have an "exposed framelock" a la CRk, Strider, Hinderer right? The non-locking side (I hope) will be either thin ss or ti lined with g-10 (I hope) overlay and not aluminum (hate it)?

No harm in asking right? And I may be dealing myself back into the game depending on the response that I hope I get. ;)

CZIV,
We have been making frame locks since 1996. We are grateful for the CRK company. They were the forerunner in the industry. We came after that and are very grateful for their leading design idea.
This knife will be a frame lock knife.
Here is a pic of one of the custom Gun Hammers. We do knives like this in MAXX and Gun Hammers every day. Our locks have been touted as one of the best designed on the market because it is easy to use and has very few failures.
I hope this answers your question.
Now Hark is ready to give you guys the GH4 CONTEST RULES!

ENJOY and thanks for wanting the answers.
http://
gallery3ralphc0801copy.jpg

gallery3ralphc0801copy.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time to reply Darrel. I love the look of the exposed frame lock side. Very cool to me. I'm back on track for the 4" blade HTM when she's (he's) ready. :thumbup:

Hark has a cool post coming up.. Keep your eyes open.

For the record ....The inlaid lock on the aluminum frame is as thick as many frame locks, to be clear. I am an advocate of frame locks, inlaid locks, or liner locks as long as they are build right so that they will stand up to everyday working man's situation, whether that be, military, police, fire fighter or a good people like all of us that work for a living every day. Knives are tools first.
We are glad that you feel better but you really had nothing to worry about. The Gun Hammer aluminum is a strong knife that works for a living.

DDR

2011-10-08121545.jpg

Here's a side by side of several common linerlocks. The Ti-lock on the HTM Gun Hammer is definitely hefty, and I like that it's actually shorter than most linerlocks.

The pictured knives are Ka-bar Phat Bob, ZT0350, and the Gun Hammer.

Ok YOU ASKED FOR IT!!!!!!!
Here is a proto of a similar knife to the HTM coming out with a Damascus blade. We will make this knife in the Torpedo and Bowie Styles. The Bowie is shown.The knife shown is a custom version. PLEASE NOTE!!!! THE FRAME LOCK AND THE THICK LOCK BAR

377223_10150355819101765_607411764_8496908_2046884230_n.jpg

377223_10150355819086765_607411764_8496906_1070357272_n.jpg

377223_10150355819096765_607411764_8496907_2123482536_n.jpg

This is Similar to the Contest knife only with a S35VN blade.

YOWCH! *crosses fingers and hopes entry meets the approval of the HTM gods...

That's a fine set of pictures. Just mind blowing. The Damascus is so unique as well; kinda has the appearance of a puzzle or maze to my eye. Is the handle material naturally blue, or did that take some special doing?

Back