Recommendation? New Member, "EDC" recommendation

My current knife is a Spyderco (delica I think) that's about 15 years old - AUS-6. I REALLY don't like how much of pain it is to sharpen.

The frustration has more to do with the bolster than the blade shape or steel.

The blade curvature where it meets the bolster.

I've been happy with the frame lock on my Spyderco, but would be open to a liner lock.

Just to make sure we're on the same page, can you post a photo of this knife of yours? The Delica has not a bolster or a frame lock.

I was going to suggest the Hogue Ritter RSK Mk1-G2; but that's probably a little too big.
Watch the exchange for a Southern Grind Spider Monkey or Spyderco Sage 2 :thumbsup:
(admittedly, I don't carry my Sage2...but I should start, it's a great knife.)
View attachment 1199709

If you look at the lanyard hole of the Spider Monkey, you'll see that it has green liners (courtesy of USAmadeblades)…I usually carry my copper one; but the carbon fiber is lighter so I can carry it at work.
L8g0BjL.jpg

Bollocks. I forgot about the Spider Monkey. Compared to the others, this might be the best suggestion, so far.

Bollocks. I forgot about the Spider Monkey. Compared to the others, this might be the best suggestion, so far.

I'd probably go for a Ti scaled Benchmade Bugout based on what you've stated so far. Nice, classy, understated knife that carries easy.

Benchmade-Bugout-Flytanium-Ti-Scales-BHQ-97070-jr.jpg

Perhaps take a look at the Doug Ritter RSK. Great knife made with premium materials and will only set you back about $160.

You all aren’t kidding when you said there are a lot of options out there!!

I’m not that well versed in the specific terminology, so apologies if my posts on my current knife were confusing. My Spydeco is a back lock, not a frame lock. As far as a bolster, I’m not sure what other term you use when the edge is not fully ground at the heel (plunge line?). Whatever the proper term is, I’d prefer not to have it.

That unsharpened portion of the blade is the ricasso or heel, depending on the style. As was mentioned before, a small sharpening choil (see the knife in post 23) will eliminate the problem.
A bolster, when there, is on the handle
View attachment 1199976
ie, the silver colored part on the black handle above

Last edited:
I agree with others that a fixed blade would be better for some of your outside chores. Honestly, I'd take your "under $250" budget and split it into two knives. With a budget of around $100 for each, you can get yourself a very nice EDC folder and a good fixed blade for outdoors.

Even dropping down to around a hundred for each, you'll still have a ton of choices. I'd recommend checking out a retail site with advanced search functions like Blade HQ. (If you do cost X to Y at Blade HQ, you can manually change the range numbers in the address line of your browser.) Dedicate some time to window shopping. If you see something you like, feel free to ask here or search the knife reviews on YouTube. If nothing else, it will help you narrow down the choices.

You all aren’t kidding when you said there are a lot of options out there!!

I’m not that well versed in the specific terminology, so apologies if my posts on my current knife were confusing. My Spydeco is a back lock, not a frame lock. As far as a bolster, I’m not sure what other term you use when the edge is not fully ground at the heel (plunge line?). Whatever the proper term is, I’d prefer not to have it.

Whenever you receive your new knife feel free to send that old Spyderco to me for sharpening. I can add a choil too if you'd like.

You have tons of good options with your budget. Make sure you include money for sharpening supplies.

A Spyderco sharpmaker and a $150 knife would be great.

Just to make sure we're on the same page, can you post a photo of this knife of yours? The Delica has not a bolster or a frame lock.

FWIW, (I didn't think they used aus-6) - but it seems they did back in 'gen2' days 1996+
http://www.spydiewiki.com/index.php?title=C11_Delica

my delica is about the same age as yours, and it is definitely vg10, which is great
(maybe yours is older than 15? : )

Last edited:
Southern Grind Spider Monkey is a solid performer, a great carry and a pleasure to own. Get one at USA Made Blade, and you can grab one with some really cool anodized liners in various colors.

The Benchmade Bugout occupies my pocket nowadays. If I were to get a different one, I'd get the one over at BladeHQ with the Flytanium carbon fiber or titanium scales.

If you want a smaller piece, then the Spyderco Baby Jess Horn sprint run hits way above its weight class, is easy to sharpen with Spyderco's VG-10, and makes the coolest money clip I ever used.

You've got a lot to choose from in your price range, so you should do just fine.

Back