New member saying hello. Looking for trout knife.

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by crumpet8, Sep 12, 2019.

1. crumpet8

crumpet8

Aug 31, 2019
    Hey!

I’ve been lurking here a while and have learnt a lot so thanks to all you existing members :) if anyone has a suggestion for a bird and trout style knife, let me know! I would use it for cleaning fish rather than game and am looking at the Fallkniven f2(z), but it’s a little expensive. I get by with my Marttiini, but wouldn’t mind something a little smaller so it can fit better in a pocket.

[​IMG]

Lost a lot of folders over the years, but here is my current collection starting from left to right.

Old Solingen straight.

Fallkniven f1 - primary camping knife I just bought a few months ago based on good reviews on here and a good deal at the local sports store.

Gerber drop point gator - salt water knife. Knife to lend out.

Marttiini filleting knife - old faithful. seems to require frequent sharpening.

Helle Oyo - EDC

Gerber shark belly - EDC

Cheers,

Dan

2. Rykjeklut

Rykjeklut Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

May 23, 2018
    Murphjd25 likes this.
  3. K.O.D.

K.O.D. Sanity Not Included Platinum Member

Aug 21, 2013
    About the same price and size is the Spyderco Waterway. Has rustproof LC200N blade, designed by a member here as a multi use blade for salt water. He uses it to fillet fish among other things.

Murphjd25 and Rykjeklut like this.
  4. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Check out Spyderco/Wilson Sprig. It was designed for what you are looking for, deboning small game and fish. S90V steel is highly corrosion resistant against blood and guts as well.

[​IMG]

Hard Knocks and Murphjd25 like this.
  5. Murphjd25

Murphjd25 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2016
    I used my Spyderco Bow River for a Coho and trout a couple of weekends ago and it worked just fine, plus they are only $32 to boot!

woodysone, Hard Knocks and 91bravo like this.
  6. crumpet8

crumpet8

Aug 31, 2019
    Thanks everyone! I’ll check out those options :) hopefully they’re not too modern/tactical looking, forgot to mention that and I guess it was hard to see or know as my picture wasn’t working... I posted images like this on another thread before without issue and it loads for me here now even so I’m not sure what’s new up. Hopefully it’ll resolve itself.

7. crumpet8

crumpet8

Aug 31, 2019
    Haha, did all the Spyderco guys flock to this thread just now or do they just make some of the best trout knives?!

8. crumpet8

crumpet8

Aug 31, 2019
    Nice looking knife! Cheers for the tip :) the Sprig 91bravo mentioned as well is about what I’m after.

9. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Perhaps the White River Small Game knife. It is a fairly new offering from WR. Pretty good edc too I would think. It is one of the few fixed blades I am actually considering now since looking at them at Blade in June.

RoachBelly44, 91bravo and crumpet8 like this.
  10. J-RAY1989

J-RAY1989 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 14, 2019
    If you uploaded your picture to your media page, then inserted into the thread, make sure your album isn't set to private. I made that mistake when I first became a member.

If you have to, make a new album and make sure it's set to public. Then inserting into a thread, the pictures will show up.

11. 22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    Here is a knife I tend to forget about. Very small thin fixed blade I bought a couple years back pictured with my Dan Eastland Kephart. The little one was made by David Pitt (CA knife maker). It would make a great trout knife! (~6 cm blade and ~14 cm overall length), 154CM steel, flat ground RC 61/62, maple handles with orange spacer. I was digging back in my records and I purchased it in 2011. (FYI The blade on the Kephart is 5 inches long more or less (~10 cm).
    IMG_5169ed.jpg

Another small fixed blade that I am enamored with is the Condor Mayflower with it's 3" blade. I got mine at Blade with micarta handles which is not the standard Mayflower. Picture posted a couple posts down. The Eastland Kephart also was purchased at Blade 2019.

Added the metric lengths since learning the OP is in Norway.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    dogwood dan, crumpet8 and 91bravo like this.
  12. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    This too! White River make some very nice pieces that are affordable and very quality made.

13. 22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    Since I'm in the picture posting mood. Here is another shot with the Dan Eastland Kephart (Dogwood Custom Knives). (I have since waxed the Kephart and those whitish zones are gone now.) The Mayflower is below it. The bottom folder is the LionSteel single blade Best Man. That was essentially my summary photo I posted after the Blade Show this year on new acquisitions.
    IMG_5122ed.jpg

dogwood dan and crumpet8 like this.
  14. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    since you said you would use it for fish not game ... if you are looking for a dedicated fillet knife Mora makes one ... crazy inexpensive I believe it's still offered in Sandvik 12c27 ... takes a nice edge and sharpens easily.

LastRodeo and crumpet8 like this.
  15. 22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    Filet knife.... I just it depends if you might use the knife for other stuff while fishing. I am not a big filet knife person as I catch & release my trout. Back when I hunted small game, I always wished I could catch & release them as I really didn't want the meat. Knife choice may depend on just how large a trout you're talking about. ;) In all honesty, SAKs work just fine for me as long as you don't mind cleaning it afterwards.

16. crumpet8

crumpet8

Aug 31, 2019
    My buddy used his Swiss army for a long while :) mainly for line more than fish though

17. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
  18. GatorFlash1

GatorFlash1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2012
    I have used a great filet knife made by Victorinox Fibrox for many years. This is a fine handling, affordable, commercial grade knife that comes in various styles. It doesn't gunk up like some and is easy to clean. Their boning knife is also a good knife for larger fish. It is stiffer than the filet knife.

crumpet8 likes this.
  19. 22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    I use clippers for the line. Knives take more effort and harder to cut the line close to the knot with one unless you sort of cut the line like you might cut something on a cutting board. That is slower than I like to do things fishing. Time wasted = less trout.

crumpet8 and Cscotttsss like this.