New member saying hello. Looking for trout knife.

Hey!

I’ve been lurking here a while and have learnt a lot so thanks to all you existing members :) if anyone has a suggestion for a bird and trout style knife, let me know! I would use it for cleaning fish rather than game and am looking at the Fallkniven f2(z), but it’s a little expensive. I get by with my Marttiini, but wouldn’t mind something a little smaller so it can fit better in a pocket.

D7D2568C-AC9D-4599-A6FF-9EBF0F1DC597.jpg

Lost a lot of folders over the years, but here is my current collection starting from left to right.

Old Solingen straight.

Fallkniven f1 - primary camping knife I just bought a few months ago based on good reviews on here and a good deal at the local sports store.

Gerber drop point gator - salt water knife. Knife to lend out.

Marttiini filleting knife - old faithful. seems to require frequent sharpening.

Helle Oyo - EDC

Gerber shark belly - EDC

Cheers,

Dan

About the same price and size is the Spyderco Waterway. Has rustproof LC200N blade, designed by a member here as a multi use blade for salt water. He uses it to fillet fish among other things.

Check out Spyderco/Wilson Sprig. It was designed for what you are looking for, deboning small game and fish. S90V steel is highly corrosion resistant against blood and guts as well.

spyderco-sprig-fixed-blade-knife-s90v_1_13bda0735a68e7f4e35c2045b0a2fc65.jpg

Thanks everyone! I’ll check out those options :) hopefully they’re not too modern/tactical looking, forgot to mention that and I guess it was hard to see or know as my picture wasn’t working... I posted images like this on another thread before without issue and it loads for me here now even so I’m not sure what’s new up. Hopefully it’ll resolve itself.

Haha, did all the Spyderco guys flock to this thread just now or do they just make some of the best trout knives?!

About the same price and size is the Spyderco Waterway. Has rustproof LC200N blade, designed by a member here as a multi use blade for salt water. He uses it to fillet fish among other things.

Nice looking knife! Cheers for the tip :) the Sprig 91bravo mentioned as well is about what I’m after.

Perhaps the White River Small Game knife. It is a fairly new offering from WR. Pretty good edc too I would think. It is one of the few fixed blades I am actually considering now since looking at them at Blade in June.

Thanks everyone! I’ll check out those options :) hopefully they’re not too modern/tactical looking, forgot to mention that and I guess it was hard to see or know as my picture wasn’t working... I posted images like this on another thread before without issue and it loads for me here now even so I’m not sure what’s new up. Hopefully it’ll resolve itself.
If you uploaded your picture to your media page, then inserted into the thread, make sure your album isn't set to private. I made that mistake when I first became a member.

If you have to, make a new album and make sure it's set to public. Then inserting into a thread, the pictures will show up.

Here is a knife I tend to forget about. Very small thin fixed blade I bought a couple years back pictured with my Dan Eastland Kephart. The little one was made by David Pitt (CA knife maker). It would make a great trout knife! (~6 cm blade and ~14 cm overall length), 154CM steel, flat ground RC 61/62, maple handles with orange spacer. I was digging back in my records and I purchased it in 2011. (FYI The blade on the Kephart is 5 inches long more or less (~10 cm).
IMG_5169ed.jpg

Another small fixed blade that I am enamored with is the Condor Mayflower with it's 3" blade. I got mine at Blade with micarta handles which is not the standard Mayflower. Picture posted a couple posts down. The Eastland Kephart also was purchased at Blade 2019.

Added the metric lengths since learning the OP is in Norway.

Last edited:
Perhaps the White River Small Game knife. It is a fairly new offering from WR. Pretty good edc too I would think. It is one of the few fixed blades I am actually considering now since looking at them at Blade in June.

This too! White River make some very nice pieces that are affordable and very quality made.

Since I'm in the picture posting mood. Here is another shot with the Dan Eastland Kephart (Dogwood Custom Knives). (I have since waxed the Kephart and those whitish zones are gone now.) The Mayflower is below it. The bottom folder is the LionSteel single blade Best Man. That was essentially my summary photo I posted after the Blade Show this year on new acquisitions.
IMG_5122ed.jpg

since you said you would use it for fish not game ... if you are looking for a dedicated fillet knife Mora makes one ... crazy inexpensive I believe it's still offered in Sandvik 12c27 ... takes a nice edge and sharpens easily.

Filet knife.... I just it depends if you might use the knife for other stuff while fishing. I am not a big filet knife person as I catch & release my trout. Back when I hunted small game, I always wished I could catch & release them as I really didn't want the meat. Knife choice may depend on just how large a trout you're talking about. ;) In all honesty, SAKs work just fine for me as long as you don't mind cleaning it afterwards.

I have used a great filet knife made by Victorinox Fibrox for many years. This is a fine handling, affordable, commercial grade knife that comes in various styles. It doesn't gunk up like some and is easy to clean. Their boning knife is also a good knife for larger fish. It is stiffer than the filet knife.

I use clippers for the line. Knives take more effort and harder to cut the line close to the knot with one unless you sort of cut the line like you might cut something on a cutting board. That is slower than I like to do things fishing. Time wasted = less trout.

Back