New member saying hello. Looking for trout knife.

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by crumpet8, Sep 12, 2019.

1. GIRLYmann

GIRLYmann

Nov 7, 2005
    mora seems like a good idea.
    thought i'ld chip in.
    got this prc made buck

which is supposedly ti-ni coated.
    not entirely flexible for filleting
    but which would make
    it equally ideal for even cutting roast :)
    hey! its a long knife and that has its advantages over a shorter blade sometimes :)

crumpet8 likes this.
  2. number9

number9 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Most of my fishing knife duties are handled by either my Rapala filet knife, or a slick little promotional tackle store knife that I picked up used at a gun show. (I gotta start posting some pictures.) Years ago, I used an Anza fixed blade that was the perfect shape and size, but, honestly, too thick for it's length.

One knife that has me intrigued, but I've never used or even held, is CRKT's Mossback Bird and Trout. AG Russell has 'em in stock. So does BladeHQ. Looks great. Report back to us.

3. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    crumpet8 likes this.
  4. Rykjeklut

Rykjeklut Basic Member Basic Member

May 23, 2018
    What sort of line are you using?

5. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Generally prefer Original blue Stren monofilament over braided or fluorocarbon lines for trout fishing. Been a couple years since I have used braided line though and haven't tried anything newer. I generally buy my stren in large spools and have quite a bit to replace the line every few outings.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  6. Cscotttsss

Cscotttsss Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Same here. I always carry two knives with me when I fish, Pac Salt clipped to my PFD and a Native 5 Salt or DF2 Salt clipped to my pocket. I don't ever use them to cut line though. For that task these are awesome, and cheap too. I keep them clipped to my PFD while kayak fishing.

https://www.boomerangtool.com/colle...roducts/the-original-snip-fishing-line-cutter

22-rimfire likes this.
  7. 22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    I keep the Gerber River Shorty attached to my PFD when using my kayak with another knife in my pocket. I don't really use a knife often fishing, so usually just carry whatever I use as an edc fishing in my pocket. I generally don't care for real fishy tasting fish.

8. crumpet8

crumpet8

Aug 31, 2019
    I've had my eye on one of those too! will write up a review if I get my hands on one :)

9. Sharp & Fiery

Sharp & Fiery Always Embellish Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 14, 2012
    ABC1DA3D-1FFB-4AD4-B327-976E7264A3F0.jpeg What about a Helle?
    Ive used this a bunch and doesnt even look like it. Sharp as sharp too!

10. crumpet8

crumpet8

Aug 31, 2019
    I’m in Norway actually so Helle is the easiest brand to come by :) finally figured out the picture thing I think, you’ll see a smaller Helle knife there that I have on me or in my bag most days.

http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_d7c8c80e-2df0-41d0-a35b-688c7a4fc60e.jpeg

I’m not a fan of their current fishing model though. The cork handle doesn’t do it for me and I don’t fillet on small boats so don’t need anything that floats really. Would also like something smaller and more versatile like a bird n trout shape

Rykjeklut likes this.
  11. Sharp & Fiery

May 14, 2012
    So how about the Casstrom Safari or the Enzo (Brisa) Bobtail?

My Safari has done hundreds of ducks and geese. Amazing little blade.

Also, the helle in my picture is a curly birch handle. Not sure if you realized that.

Keep ‘em Sharp

12. crumpet8

crumpet8

Aug 31, 2019

Will check those models out. Saw that, but I guess that model is older? The ones I’ve seen around now have a cork handle...

Sharp & Fiery likes this.
  13. Sharp & Fiery

May 14, 2012
    Ya. Cork doesnt “float my boat” either. Lol.

crumpet8 likes this.
  14. TDOG1

TDOG1

Jan 11, 2009
    Arno Bernard makes a number of different smaller B&T designs with different scale materials. I have a "fin and feather" which is a very nice knife. The Pro Hunter is a nice design. Arno knives are carried by a number of online dealers.

I use my Havalon Baracuta Z for many different tasks. These things are true scalpels. They want to sell you replacement blades (which do come in handy) but they can be re-sharpened the quickest on the Spyderco sharpmaker to laser sharpness. I can precision fillet and cut birds quickly and cleanly with the Z knife. Have to be careful with this one. After telling a friend of mine how sharp (and pointed) these are he proceeded to put a bad cut on his finger.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  15. crumpet8

crumpet8

Aug 31, 2019
    Nice looking blades! Not a fan of those handles though. I think Ill end up with a fallkniven f2z or the Spyderco waterway. The spyderco is impossible to find in Norway unfortunately so I may be waiting a while before I find one that will ship internationally at an ok price. Import tax here is rough :/

16. 22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    How does the import tax work? If a knife is shipped from the US, does it go to customs or something and you get a bill or does the shipper have to pay the tax up front to allow the knife to pass through customs and whatever taxing agency is involved?

I understand leaning toward Fallkniven. There is a limit for me as to just how much effort I am willing to make to buy a knife when I can get something locally or in-country without all the hassle and be just about as good from a practical perspective.

17. Rykjeklut

Rykjeklut Basic Member Basic Member

May 23, 2018
    There's a site that sells Knives And Tools that doesn't add shipping, so you'd only have to deal with whatever percentage the import tax is.

crumpet8 likes this.
  18. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    We ship often to Norway. They have a VAT tax and customs collects from the recipient. We don't as the shipper pay it. If I recall correctly its around 30 percent of value.

crumpet8 and 22-rimfire like this.
  19. 22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    I get some things shipped from Australia and Germany off and on. They often list the value somewhat below what I paid and my thinking is that it reflects their cost. Would the same apply to knives?

20. midnight flyer

midnight flyer Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Thanks for posting that link! I remember when reading it that it brought back a TON of memories of me being out in the woods. I had a Western brand bird and trout, which couldn't be told from the CASE back in the mid 60s, and it went with me every time I hit the woods as a kiddo. No so many trout down here in S. Texas, but plenty of crappie and catfish in the creeks and rivers at that time. Plenty for youngster with a Zebco set up and a metal lunch box with astronauts on it as a tackle box to have a blast.

No telling how many fish and how much small game that thing cleaned, and when I got older I carried it out when hunting bigger game, too. I kept it as my scalpel to clean up quail and for the finer aspects of cleaning up bigger game.

Soooooo much utility is a well made B&T knife. Looking at that post makes me think I need another one of those!

Robert

Sharp & Fiery and Horsewright like this.