New member saying hello. Looking for trout knife.

mora seems like a good idea.
thought i'ld chip in.
got this prc made buck
which is supposedly ti-ni coated.
not entirely flexible for filleting
but which would make
it equally ideal for even cutting roast :)
hey! its a long knife and that has its advantages over a shorter blade sometimes :)

Most of my fishing knife duties are handled by either my Rapala filet knife, or a slick little promotional tackle store knife that I picked up used at a gun show. (I gotta start posting some pictures.) Years ago, I used an Anza fixed blade that was the perfect shape and size, but, honestly, too thick for it's length.

One knife that has me intrigued, but I've never used or even held, is CRKT's Mossback Bird and Trout. AG Russell has 'em in stock. So does BladeHQ. Looks great. Report back to us.

I use clippers for the line. Knives take more effort and harder to cut the line close to the knot with one unless you sort of cut the line like you might cut something on a cutting board. That is slower than I like to do things fishing. Time wasted = less trout.
What sort of line are you using?

Generally prefer Original blue Stren monofilament over braided or fluorocarbon lines for trout fishing. Been a couple years since I have used braided line though and haven't tried anything newer. I generally buy my stren in large spools and have quite a bit to replace the line every few outings.

Last edited:
I use clippers for the line. Knives take more effort and harder to cut the line close to the knot with one unless you sort of cut the line like you might cut something on a cutting board. That is slower than I like to do things fishing. Time wasted = less trout.

Same here. I always carry two knives with me when I fish, Pac Salt clipped to my PFD and a Native 5 Salt or DF2 Salt clipped to my pocket. I don't ever use them to cut line though. For that task these are awesome, and cheap too. I keep them clipped to my PFD while kayak fishing.

https://www.boomerangtool.com/colle...roducts/the-original-snip-fishing-line-cutter

I keep the Gerber River Shorty attached to my PFD when using my kayak with another knife in my pocket. I don't really use a knife often fishing, so usually just carry whatever I use as an edc fishing in my pocket. I generally don't care for real fishy tasting fish.

Most of my fishing knife duties are handled by either my Rapala filet knife, or a slick little promotional tackle store knife that I picked up used at a gun show. (I gotta start posting some pictures.) Years ago, I used an Anza fixed blade that was the perfect shape and size, but, honestly, too thick for it's length.

One knife that has me intrigued, but I've never used or even held, is CRKT's Mossback Bird and Trout. AG Russell has 'em in stock. So does BladeHQ. Looks great. Report back to us.

I've had my eye on one of those too! will write up a review if I get my hands on one :)

ABC1DA3D-1FFB-4AD4-B327-976E7264A3F0.jpeg What about a Helle?
Ive used this a bunch and doesnt even look like it. Sharp as sharp too!

View attachment 1195618 What about a Helle?
Ive used this a bunch and doesnt even look like it. Sharp as sharp too!

I’m in Norway actually so Helle is the easiest brand to come by :) finally figured out the picture thing I think, you’ll see a smaller Helle knife there that I have on me or in my bag most days.

http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_d7c8c80e-2df0-41d0-a35b-688c7a4fc60e.jpeg

I’m not a fan of their current fishing model though. The cork handle doesn’t do it for me and I don’t fillet on small boats so don’t need anything that floats really. Would also like something smaller and more versatile like a bird n trout shape

So how about the Casstrom Safari or the Enzo (Brisa) Bobtail?

My Safari has done hundreds of ducks and geese. Amazing little blade.

Also, the helle in my picture is a curly birch handle. Not sure if you realized that.

Keep ‘em Sharp

So how about the Casstrom Safari or the Enzo (Brisa) Bobtail?

My Safari has done hundreds of ducks and geese. Amazing little blade.

Also, the helle in my picture is a curly birch handle. Not sure if you realized that.

Keep ‘em Sharp

Will check those models out. Saw that, but I guess that model is older? The ones I’ve seen around now have a cork handle...

Arno Bernard makes a number of different smaller B&T designs with different scale materials. I have a "fin and feather" which is a very nice knife. The Pro Hunter is a nice design. Arno knives are carried by a number of online dealers.

I use my Havalon Baracuta Z for many different tasks. These things are true scalpels. They want to sell you replacement blades (which do come in handy) but they can be re-sharpened the quickest on the Spyderco sharpmaker to laser sharpness. I can precision fillet and cut birds quickly and cleanly with the Z knife. Have to be careful with this one. After telling a friend of mine how sharp (and pointed) these are he proceeded to put a bad cut on his finger.

Last edited:
Arno Bernard makes a number of different smaller B&T designs with different scale materials. I have a "fin and feather" which is a very nice knife. The Pro Hunter is a nice design. Arno knives are carried by a number of online dealers.

I use my Havalon Baracuta Z for many different tasks. These things are true scalpels. They want to sell you replacement blades (which do come in handy) but they can be re-sharpened the quickest on the Spyderco sharpmaker to laser sharpness. I can precision fillet and cut birds quickly and cleanly with the Z knife. Have to be careful with this one. After telling a friend of mine how sharp (and pointed) these are he proceeded to put a bad cut on his finger.

Nice looking blades! Not a fan of those handles though. I think Ill end up with a fallkniven f2z or the Spyderco waterway. The spyderco is impossible to find in Norway unfortunately so I may be waiting a while before I find one that will ship internationally at an ok price. Import tax here is rough :/

Nice looking blades! Not a fan of those handles though. I think Ill end up with a fallkniven f2z or the Spyderco waterway. The spyderco is impossible to find in Norway unfortunately so I may be waiting a while before I find one that will ship internationally at an ok price. Import tax here is rough :/
How does the import tax work? If a knife is shipped from the US, does it go to customs or something and you get a bill or does the shipper have to pay the tax up front to allow the knife to pass through customs and whatever taxing agency is involved?

I understand leaning toward Fallkniven. There is a limit for me as to just how much effort I am willing to make to buy a knife when I can get something locally or in-country without all the hassle and be just about as good from a practical perspective.

There's a site that sells Knives And Tools that doesn't add shipping, so you'd only have to deal with whatever percentage the import tax is.

How does the import tax work? If a knife is shipped from the US, does it go to customs or something and you get a bill or does the shipper have to pay the tax up front to allow the knife to pass through customs and whatever taxing agency is involved?

I understand leaning toward Fallkniven. There is a limit for me as to just how much effort I am willing to make to buy a knife when I can get something locally or in-country without all the hassle and be just about as good from a practical perspective.

We ship often to Norway. They have a VAT tax and customs collects from the recipient. We don't as the shipper pay it. If I recall correctly its around 30 percent of value.

We ship often to Norway. They have a VAT tax and customs collects from the recipient. We don't as the shipper pay it. If I recall correctly its around 30 percent of value.
I get some things shipped from Australia and Germany off and on. They often list the value somewhat below what I paid and my thinking is that it reflects their cost. Would the same apply to knives?

Thanks for posting that link! I remember when reading it that it brought back a TON of memories of me being out in the woods. I had a Western brand bird and trout, which couldn't be told from the CASE back in the mid 60s, and it went with me every time I hit the woods as a kiddo. No so many trout down here in S. Texas, but plenty of crappie and catfish in the creeks and rivers at that time. Plenty for youngster with a Zebco set up and a metal lunch box with astronauts on it as a tackle box to have a blast.

No telling how many fish and how much small game that thing cleaned, and when I got older I carried it out when hunting bigger game, too. I kept it as my scalpel to clean up quail and for the finer aspects of cleaning up bigger game.

Soooooo much utility is a well made B&T knife. Looking at that post makes me think I need another one of those!

Robert

Back