New Ontario Knives (2015 Lineup)

The two new bushcraft knives I like a lot......What are the blade lengths on those ?

[video=youtube;qRfk4rQMomk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRfk4rQMomk[/video]

The Chimera looks like a bruiser! The folder is nice too. I like the design, but not a fan of safeties on knives.

The big bushcrafter sounds like it's just a fancier looking RTAK-II with a slimmed down handle. But damn if it doesn't look good.

The big bushcrafter sounds like it's just a fancier looking RTAK-II with a slimmed down handle. But damn if it doesn't look good.

It has a similar use, but the handle is actually wider and thicker. So more of a beefed up blade. But yeah, a lot of people use the RTAK-II for chopping and batoning, but this one is a little more specialized to that use.

I hope the Bushcraft Series is a success for Ontario.

Obviously Bushcraft is a growing segment in the knife industry. It is the new Tactical. While that segment has seen extreme success. It has always puzzled me. I get that everybody wants to be Rambo. But many of the knives, for me at least are just too single purpose in design.

I'm really liking the thought process behind the Bushcraft Series. A very clean, well thought out, set of knives. For most of my applications, I like bare, uncoated blades. Lower friction coefficient, no food issues, and a host of other reasons. Not having to stalk sentries at this point in my life, means glare is not an issue.
Being able to use my knife as a signaling device if needed has some merit also.

Then they take and bolt a piece of a good old american tree to it. Micarta, G10, Kraton, and other modern handle materials have the cool factor. But personally, I'll take the wood. It's the knife version of Wool. Natural, comfortable, durable, beautiful, it just plain works.

I spend a fair amount of time on this forum and others like it. I constantly hear the talk of why a knife needs to be a durable, tough, piece of equipment, impervious to the elements. The debate over super steels and high tech handle materials rages on. Then I see the pictures. Many of these knives have never left the house, let alone the yard.

I think Ontario is taking a huge risk with the Bushcraft Series. Because they are trying to build, market, and sell, a series of knives that will stand on their own merits. No claims of Tier 1 operator involvement, no tactical coatings, no miracle steels. Just a solid, striaght forward, knife.

A knife that in reality, will do 90 to 95% of all the tasks most users will ever do with a knife, and do it very well. Probably better than most of the wiz-bang, modern gizmo knives would.

The knife and gun industry for better or worse, has been tied to hollywood since filming began. If people will take the time to seperate real life from Hollywood. These knives make perfect sense. A clean, well thought out, field maintainable design that will serve its owner well for many years to come.

I am going to put my money where my mouth is soon. And pony up for a Bushcraft Field Knife. Because you see. I am just like those folks I described above. I get caught up in the hype too. I have been looking at a new small to medium sixed fixed blade for everyday carry.

A knife that will fill many roles.

Utility work, like rope and cardboard, and other general yard stuff.

Some Bushcrafty stuff, wood processing, trap making, pot hangers, lean-tos and other woods related tasks.

Cooking, yes cooking. Yeah, I know, surrender your "Man Card". But guess what, Rambo had to eat too. For me, food processing is a huge part of owning a knife. A knife may have to protect you on rare ocassions, but you have to eat every day!

I have been looking at higher end knives myself. Ranging anywhere from $150.00 to $600.00. For all the reasons I listed above. But in reality, I can't come up with anything they can do, that the Bushcraft Field Knife can't. Other than perhaps lighten my wallet.

These knives are bucking the tide. They are not tactical. They don't have that magic grind that will instantly turn you into Daniel Boone. No coatings, no super steel. Elegant in it's simplicity.

For those with the courage to actually try one. I see it becoming a well used favorite, at home and at camp. You know the one I mean. The one at camp at camp that everyone wants to borrow, because their "Cosmic Defender" is too much trouble.

***Ontario, If you are reading this. I would very much like to see a leather sheath option for these knives.
Steal, wood and leather just belong together.

Last edited:
I would really like to see a Rat 3 in a stainless steel. A 440c, 12c27, aus8 or something similar in a simple stainless. I actually like it more for bushcraft type of things as well as EDC. I've had knives made out of super stainless steels and to be honest I would rather have a plain simple stainless any day of the week. A little touch up here and there on a strop is no big deal to me. So if Ontario does a Rat 3 in stainless I'll sign up for 4 knives right off the bat.

Depending on what the initial impressions are, I may get that bigger Bushcrafter for a bowie knife, and bypass the RTAK-II entirely.

Yeah, I have an SP50 too, nice all purpose big knife. I'm hoping the big Bushcraft Woodsman takes it to the next level, maybe comparable to the RTAK II but even more badass, yet more refined, and more versatile. Can't wait to handle one.

Haven't been on here in a while. I am really liking their new stuff. That big bushcrafter chopper will be in my stable one day for sure. :D

Last edited:
I'll take a knife made from plain Jane carbon steels and stainless steels over CPM steels anyday.

Finally some fantastic knifes from Ontario! Any clue guys,when will these blades be available for sale??? I like very much 5160,the large blade seem absolutely wicked! I think they set also reasonable price for that, very much interesting and surely solid knife....love it already

It has a similar use, but the handle is actually wider and thicker. So more of a beefed up blade. But yeah, a lot of people use the RTAK-II for chopping and batoning, but this one is a little more specialized to that use.

May i ask please,when will be new series up for sale? Or it already is?

Thanks for reply

That big Bushcrafter one looks great. The 5160 is PERFECT for a big blade like that.

Come to think of it, its perfect for the little one too. Little knives tend to get pushed hard when messing with wood. I like tough little knives.

I want one of each, when do they ship?

That big Bushcrafter one looks great. The 5160 is PERFECT for a big blade like that.

Come to think of it, its perfect for the little one too. Little knives tend to get pushed hard when messing with wood. I like tough little knives.

I want one of each, when do they ship?

Not much activity here i guess....I love these new line too,also waiting for some relevant response here,the day will come..Checked few webs,didnt see any of them for sale yet.

Back