1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

New Rambo Knife!!

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by OBX351, May 31, 2019.

1. Twindog

Twindog Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 6, 2004
    I can't believe that Stalone would want a Randall. The Charmin-soft steel the company uses would never take Rambo-level abuse.

2. jceckrosh

jceckrosh KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 2, 2016
    A. I don't think it's unreasonable for a movie/movie star to ask for a knife. Even free. Although I think paying for it is better. The benefit to some knifemakers/brands would be huge. And there are always 10,000 other makers/manufacturers to ask if Maker A does not want to do it.
    B. Some custom makers already and perpetually have full books, so more business doesn't help, so I can see why some would say no.
    C. A company that does production knives could reap the benefits. Make a custom, then make the production version.
    D. I'm not a knifemaker, but if I was and Stallone asked me to make him a knife for free to be used in a Rambo movie I'd do it.

YMWV.

BITEME and Twindog like this.
  3. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Stallone was almost a nobody before the first Rambo movie. However he did have the first Rocky movie on his resume by the time First Blood was made. Just being an actor who happens to be in a movie with a knife does not necessarily quality the actor (movie company) a free knife in my opinion. The cost is pennies in the overall budget for a movie these days.

4. eveled

eveled Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2016
    Looking back. Who could have imagined the impact that knife would have. Knives had been in a million tv shows and movies before that. None of them became icons.

The original Rambo knife became a character in the movie. Similar to the General Lee in Dukes of Hazard.

5. JParanee

JParanee Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Product ambassadors is big business these days be it watches or knives

With Stallone going the Hibbing route after the Lile knife I’m sure mass marketing was on their mind

Gil had his connections with cheap manufacturing etc

I for one am glad to see him going to a more custom oriented maker in the Pohl knife even if I’m not crazy about it

I know of a young action star that is very popular these days think super hero that is having a knife made by a great artist and I’ve even seen it but can’t speak details yet :)

6. John A. Larsen

John A. Larsen

Jan 15, 2001
    Dieter Pohl is a well known and respected knife designer. I would imagine he was approached to make a knife that would have visual appeal in a movie, not a knife that was the ultimate in performance, which may be why he went with the sub hilt. As far as Randall/Busse and "Charmin Soft Steel' there is more than one review on BF where a Randall out performed a similar Busse. John

eveled likes this.
  7. jceckrosh

jceckrosh KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 2, 2016
    Initials JM?

8. JParanee

JParanee Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 2006

I’m sworn to keep my big mouth shut

But it’s a great maker a great actor and a great knife :)

BITEME likes this.
  9. GIRLYmann

GIRLYmann

Nov 7, 2005
    Anything "used" in a movie would.be considered as a movie production "prop".
    So it stands to reason that props are being filmed in movies for dramatic visual effects;
    and not necessarily something which
    "actually works" in the real world.
    Even though the knives may appear
    to have carried out incredible feats of action,
    nobody would question the praticalities
    of just such a knife's design or its wonderous added features but knife folks.
    Lighten up! :)
    Perhaps.the legandary late moran probably didn't belive or see any such worth in having to creatie a make believe knife for just a couple of movie takes then?

10. riversidedep

riversidedep Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 27, 2007
    I wouldn't say he was a nobody. He'd already done Rocky 1, 2, & 3, though 3 might not have been out yet when he was looking for a knife for Rambo. He had also done Nighthawks and Victory. All of these movies were pretty popular and he had a starring role in each.

11. katanas

katanas

Jan 6, 2012
    WoW! I had completely forgotten Nighthawks. :eek: Now I'm going to have to find it and watch it again. :cool:

12. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    ;) Don't miss this treasure :

Mitchell Knives and katanas like this.
  13. Dr Heelhook

Dr Heelhook Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 24, 2007
    I don’t blame Bill Moran for refusing to give Stallone a knife, at the same time, if he had, I’m pretty sure he would have gotten that money back one way or another.

14. afishhunter

afishhunter

Oct 21, 2014
    First one was functional. It may not have been particularly practical but it was/is functional. You could/can for example use it to whittle a tent stake and a stick to cook a (eww ... ick ... gross) hotdog (((gag))) over the camp fire or if you're into that kind of thing, to stick a pig and/or boar.

15. gazz98

gazz98 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Where do you keep your sewing kit for when you need to stitch yourself up?

Not a subhilt fan. I like the blade design tho.

16. TAH

TAH Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 3, 2001
    Can't wait for the movie, however I wish Stallone would have gone more old school and used his father's knife (perhaps a well used, stag handle Bowie) and rifle (Winchester) that he found at the ranch - then relied on his skills to collect additional firepower from dispatched cartel along the way. Early on, Stallone suggested that Rambo V would have a "gritty Western"/"No Country For Old Men" vibe, which I thought was a great idea and fitting for his age.

eveled likes this.
  17. Shotgun

Shotgun

Feb 3, 2006
    LOL...K.

Am I the only one who grew out of these films? I loved ‘em when I was 12 but now they’re just dumb AF.

18. TAH

TAH Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 3, 2001
    I see your point, because the endless superhero/comic book movies for today's 12 year-olds are so realistic. ;)

JD Mandrell likes this.
  19. ridnovir

ridnovir Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Why did Stallone come back to acting with the face like that :confused:
    He had his day why ruin his legacy now?

20. GIRLYmann

GIRLYmann

Nov 7, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2019