New rifle suggestions

K.O.D.

Manatee Of Death
Platinum Member
So I have wanted a lever action rifle/carbine for some time, and have been on the verge of pulling the trigger. However, now with this 1000% tax bill being entered into congress on AR-15's, I'm wondering if I should buy an AR instead. I had considered an AK, but after handling several yesterday at the range, it just isn't for me. They have a Winchester 1892 in .44mag that was of much interest to me. I don't know, I know they are two totally different creatures. Comparing apples to orangutans, but still. I already have a fancy whizbang .556 IWI Tavor, and don't really need another "tactical" type rifle, I have my 1944 Underwood M1 carbine as backup. Oh and I blasphemed and put a rail with red dot on my M1 so technically I have two tactical rifles.

Opinions? Yes my want for a lever action was rekindled by watching the first season of the rifleman recently.

Well I would check out the Henry line of lever actions. Good quality with nice walnut and brass or blued receivers. Also those I know Uberti also makes some real nice levers and offer models of the old Winchester line. Sure like the Model 1873 myself.

The biggest selling regret I have was selling a near mint Browning B92 in .44mag.

Now that that’s out of the way. Since you love your Tavor an AeroPrecision AR10 would be a great compliment to a M1 (M1a I’m assuming).

At the last gun show I was at, I noticed the prices of nice lever actions creeping up. I reckon that will be all guns soon.

I've been looking at carbines in 38/357 mag due to the lower cost of feeding. Haven't pulled the trigger yet because I'm still looking at the Ruger 77/357 (bolt action)

Decisions, Decisions! :)

So I have wanted a lever action rifle/carbine for some time, and have been on the verge of pulling the trigger. However, now with this 1000% tax bill being entered into congress on AR-15's, I'm wondering if I should buy an AR instead. I had considered an AK, but after handling several yesterday at the range, it just isn't for me. They have a Winchester 1892 in .44mag that was of much interest to me. I don't know, I know they are two totally different creatures. Comparing apples to orangutans, but still. I already have a fancy whizbang .556 IWI Tavor, and don't really need another "tactical" type rifle, I have my 1944 Underwood M1 carbine as backup. Oh and I blasphemed and put a rail with red dot on my M1 so technically I have two tactical rifles.

Opinions? Yes my want for a lever action was rekindled by watching the first season of the rifleman recently.

If you don't have an AR, get an AR. If you do have an AR, get another.

You could always invest in a lower now and pick up a upper later on
I have a few stripped lowers that I have put away and I can build out into rifles when ever the time comes.

Am I showing my age or do manufacturers still make 30-30's? Maybe not super accurate (well, mine wasn't) but a whole lot of fun.

Am I showing my age or do manufacturers still make 30-30's? Maybe not super accurate (well, mine wasn't) but a whole lot of fun.
They are still making them. For a hot minute I was considering .45-70, but availability and cost, plus small capacity.

I should probably mention I'm lefty

The biggest selling regret I have was selling a near mint Browning B92 in .44mag.

Now that that’s out of the way. Since you love your Tavor an AeroPrecision AR10 would be a great compliment to a M1 (M1a I’m assuming).
Say it ain't so!

Levers are big deals in these parts. Love em. Don't underestimate the tactical uses of a lever either. They've been keeping homesteads secure for a minute or two. Fun read but this was an actual deal, not a made up what if kinda thing:

The wife's .22:

2bVnNQd.jpg

JM marked Marlin in .45LC:

xRYx8rk.jpg

zUDUuZA.jpg

Browning BLR top in .243 and Browning copy of Winchester 1895 bottom in.30-06:

GKKdBbF.jpg

The BLR:

xvLntXY.jpg

PwTp6MH.jpg

Winchester 1894 in .30-30:

azDmhue.jpg

I call the 1895 the Big Boomer:

4t7LeuG.jpg

Kinda tricky to reload until ya figure it out

krVZLGz.jpg

The round goes under some lips, slide it back and then rotate it forward and down snapping it into the mag:

46QBV6K.jpg

Course in .357 there is the Ubertti, an 1873:

BW8D1T8.jpg

mCA14Ax.jpg

Yeah don't think much of levers on this outfit:

46yaAKZ.jpg

Getcha one!

I've always liked a 44 mag lever action.

Savage 99's too, just to add more confusion.

Class three stuff holds it's value and it's fun.

AKs may have made sense a decade ago, but no longer. AR vs. AK? The AR has won that argument decisively.

Get yourself a quality AR, you can get a lever action later. What's your budget? You can keep it simple with a Colt 6920 or you can go hog wild with a KAC SR-15, with a myriad of options in between. If you are only going to buy one, get the best you can afford. The cost of 5.56 ammo will quickly exceed the initial purchase price of your AR.

What do you want to do with it? Plink? Hunt? (If so, what game and at what range?) Home defense? What calibers do you currently have/keep, and do you reload?

I'm a huge fan of Marlins in the full range of calibers. I've got a 39M in .22LR, an 1894 in .45 Colt, and an 1895 in .45-70.

The Winchester 1892 design is a great option for pistol calibers if you won't ever want to put a scope on it. Nice light rifle with a quick action. The Browning copy is fantastic, but getting pretty pricey these days. Rossi makes a pretty good copy for the money.

The aesthetics of Henrys leaves me cold, but they seem to make pretty good guns at a good price.

.22LR is great for plinking or small game.

.38/.357 is great for plinking, home defense, or hunting of smaller deer at closer ranges. It's also easier to find and usually less expensive.

.44 Mag would be a great option if you don't reload, already have a gun in that caliber, or want a good selection of (somewhat) less expensive factory options. Can also use .44 Special if you want lighter loads.

.45 Colt is an all-around cartridge if you reload, but can be pricey if you don't. If you do reload you can roll your own in the full range from mild plinkers to heavy-duty loads.

.30-30 is the classic American deer rifle. You can always find ammo, and it does a fine job on deer.

.35 Rem can be found, is great for game larger than deer, but can be more expensive.

.45-70 depends on the rifle you use, but can be loaded pretty hot in modern Marlins and other stronger actions. It can be used for anything in N. America depending on the loading.

There is a full range of modern cartridges in Browning BLRs, Savage 99s, or other lever actions with box magazines.

I'd be looking into a top shelf .22LR bolt rifle. So much fun and so much class.

Back