New SAK Advice

Ok guys, my anniversary is coming up in about a month, and my wife has been onto me to tell her what I want. So, after reading all the great SAK threads lately, and realizing that a good SAK is missing from my collection (the only one I have is the little Classic on my keychain), I've decided to tell her to get me a SAK. The only problem is, which one? Now, I'm not exactly McGuyver, so I probably won't need something as big as the SwissChamp, and it looks a little bulky to carry anway. So what do you guys recommend? What type of SAK should I get?

How do you plan on using it?

The best carry model of the ones I have is the Alox model with spear and pen blades. Very thin but good strong, sharp blades. You can carry that no matter what kind of clothes you are in.

Not planning on any heavy use. Just something to have if I happen to need a bottle opener or a screwdriver or something like that. Basically I'm just looking for a good SAK to take with me when I travel or for everyday light use.

An Alox Farmer is a nice choice if you can find one.

thumbnail.aspx
or
thumbnail.aspx

I also like the Soldier and Cadet alox models, and carry them often. I am also a big fan of the Deluxe Tinker...
53481.jpg

and the Timekeeper
product_image.jpg

The little pliers on the DT come in very handy, and the timekeeper is good for me because I hate to wear a watch.

Take a look at Felinevet's shop as he has good pics, as well as a 'selector' tool. the selector lets you choose combinations of tools, and it will show you which models have the combinations.

I like the look of that Farmer model. :thumbup: I'm also a fan of that Deluxe Tinker after seeing it. One question, how sturdy are the little pliers?

I think the alox sak's are the best ones. I used to carry a tinker or a pioneer for many years, and the alox ones are built like a tank, but a very trim tank. The two layer alox like a soldier or Wenger Standard Issue, are thinner and nicer in the pocket than the two layer red plastic handle ones. With more rugged construction and thinner profile, the only thing you give up are the tweezers and toothpock. If you have a classic on the keyring, you will still have them, plus the sissors.

Of late I've been carrying a cadet 2, and it's bumped the other red sak's out of my pocket. I'm going to donate my red plastic sak's to Tim/Felinevet to benifit some animals in need. Nothing but alox for me from now on!:thumbup:

Well, looks like one thing most agree on is that Alox is the way to go. So, that narrows it down a little.

Look at the Smoky Mountain Knifeoworks site, they have a good selection of alox. The alox bantam is a knife so flat it just disappears in the pocket. And the nail file blade on the regular cadet will handle small to medium phillips screws well.

Alox can be addictive!:eek:

The main blade on the Vic Soldier is thicker at the spine and tang than other models. It has a nice flat grind to a great cutting edge, but is stronger. Don't know if this is true of the Standard Issue or not.

-- Sam

Ok guys, after taking Jackknife's advice and checking out SMKW, I think I've narrowed it down to two I really like, the Alox Farmer or the Alox Cadet. So who owns both and can give me a good review?

Oh great, just when I thihnk I've got it narrowed down, someone mentions a Spartan and I have to add another one to the list. :D

Ok guys, after taking Jackknife's advice and checking out SMKW, I think I've narrowed it down to two I really like, the Alox Farmer or the Alox Cadet. So who owns both and can give me a good review?

I don't have a Farmer, but I do have a cadet (copper alox, she is a beauty). The saw is a good addition, and it cuts better than it looks like it should. I don't use the fingernail file much, so I would personally go for the Farmer. But then, of course, you'll have to get a Swiss Clipper for the fingernail duty... it never ends.

Another vote for the Victorinox Spartan, best SAK ever made.

The Alox SAKs are certainly solid pieces but I prefer the Cellidor models due to the thinner main blade and because many offer a big and little blade. Some prefer Alox because of the thicker blade. It all depends what you're looking for. The cellidor will ding and scratch but I think it gives the knife character. You have to get a red Cellidor SAK. MacGuyver never carried Alox!

I also have to add that you can get a pre-owned Spartan delivered from sosak online for $5. I bought one for a modification project and it looked brand new.

My favs are the Alox Soldier, Alox Pioneer (basically a Soldier w/ lanyard loop...I give this one as gifts often since it has the engraving panel), and the Alox Electrician (basically a Soldier with a mod. sheapsfoot blade instead of the can opener). I don't own a Farmer, but I do have a few Campers (e.g., a Spartan + Saw blade).

FYI: Amazon.com has a good sale on SAKs now (Save $10.00 when you spend $50.00 or more on Swiss Army products offered by Amazon.com)

ALso, take a look at the Alox Soldier. It is the same "base size" as the Farmer...which makes them both larger than the Cadet. Personally, I'd rather have a bigger man blade and an extra opener/driver or blade (say, with the Alox Electrician) vs. the nail file offered in that place on the Cadet.

YMMV.

ALso, take a look at the Alox Soldier. It is the same "base size" as the Farmer...which makes them both larger than the Cadet. Personally, I'd rather have a bigger man blade and an extra opener/driver or blade (say, with the Alox Electrician) vs. the nail file offered in that place on the Cadet.

YMMV.

I was actually looking at the electrician just a few moments ago. I like the look of the modified sheepsfoot style blade for some reason. Every time I think I get a good idea on what I want, another great style pops up. At this rate, I could spend the next five years just collecting all the different SAKs I want to try out.

Yep.

You might want to consider this deal on Amazon right now:

Camper (black) $14.18
Alox Electrician $18.25
Alox Farmer $26.40
*minus $10 for their special…

You get all 3 for $48.83 & FREE shipping.
(be sure you only select the ones sold through Amazon.com - they will say "Eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping.")

Back