New soon to be owner of a BK4

So I just bought a BK4 from another member here, I haven't received it yet. I have been wanting a Kukri for some time, I was actually sold on getting a Condor up until I saw this BK4 for sale. Since I love my Beckers, BK2, BK5, BK7 (my sons), BK9, I couldn't resist picking up the BK4. Previous owner says it is unused but he did strip the coating on the blade which is fine with me, I have considered this with the others as well, so if I like the stripped coating, I may strip my others as well.

Anyways, I am just excited on the new knife, and can't wait to use it.

awesome, great knife! But don't be disappointed when it comes out of the box smaller than you are expecting(most everybody says that lol). It's way different than a kukri. If you learn to use the wrist and make snap cuts it's amazingly efficient.

Congrats. The 4 is just a hell of a good blade. Not much you can't accomplish with the 4.

Yeah, I'm already thinking it is going to be smaller than I am anticipating but I hope I like it. I'll settle for kukri-like object, lol
I got rid of my 1st BK4, because I thought it was too small. Never even tried it out. Got another later, and loved it. Don't let the size fool you, it's a very versatile blade. Very packable too.

If I going bigger than the BK9 or BK4, I'll simply go with a machete, I can't imagine needing a blade bigger than my BK9 for a big knife task. After that, I'm looking to machetes/axes not knives.

Yep, the 9 rules all.

If I going bigger than the BK9 or BK4, I'll simply go with a machete, I can't imagine needing a blade bigger than my BK9 for a big knife task. After that, I'm looking to machetes/axes not knives.
Not much the 9 or 4 can't handle for sure :thumbsup: but the larger Beckers have a little more destructiveness to them :D

Hopefully it arrives before the weekend, I'm working out of town, so if the seller ships tomorrow, I will hopefully have it by Saturday delivery.

The 20 and 21 are great choppers, but the 21 just out does them all!
Not in my experience. The 20 I have kicked the 21 I hads ass, haha.

Not in my experience. The 20 I have kicked the 21 I hads ass, haha.

My experience has been the opposite. Forward kukri shaped blade, in combination with more weigh behind the edge, makes for a devastating strike with a lot energy behind it! You do have to be more disciplined in keeping the blade in a straight plane throughout the swing, or else it will not sink deep. I found that once you've chopped halfway through a log, it's easy to sort of slap the side of the 21 against the notch you just chopped. So instead of all the energy going into the apex of the edge, it's absorbed by the wood by a miscalculated swing. This gives the impression that the blade isn't sinking very deep in the wood. But with that being said, my bk21 and bk9 are the top of favorite large fixed blades!

Don't have to worry about a sweet spot on a straight blade. Why I like them better I guess.

The bk9 is a "do it all" one knife option for me. If I could only grab one blade to head into the woods, it would be my 9. I used my 9 to clear lanes a few months back, but the 21 does it faster and cuts bigger branches with less strikes. Apples to oranges between the 9 and 21! I like them both for different uses! :)

qipRYNZ.jpg

gsRaFpB.jpg

Back