New Spyderco-Exclusive Steel CPM SPY27

very interesting Larrin Larrin - that is an interesting custom spydy steel, ... I would have preferred the carbon down around 0.9% or 1%

To get its own steel formula and persuade Crucible to make a commitment to a new steel, Spyderco must plan to use a lot of it. And I suppose they have some reason to see it as an improvement over S30V/S35VN. So it's probably a decent knife steel.

But the cynic in me sees it as mostly a marketing ploy.

Well, ya liked the Vanax more that those steels eh? There is a lot of room for improvement over S30V/s35vn.

It's 2020 now. Time to start applying new knowledge and improve things.

Finer Carbides are always a plus

Will be interesting to see what hardness they use. Hopefully up to +62rc to take advantage of it.

To get its own steel formula and persuade Crucible to make a commitment to a new steel, Spyderco must plan to use a lot of it. And I suppose they have some reason to see it as an improvement over S30V/S35VN. So it's probably a decent knife steel.

I believe it’s replacing BD1N in the Para3 LW and Manix2 LW, based on Spydercos Reveal they just published. I would also bet they are adding volume to their total spend with Crucible and getting a better cost to them. Not sure if it is easier to tool vs BD1N.

If its similar to cpm-154 and inferior to s30v/s35vn in terms of wear resistence, I am not impressed UNLESS the knife prices will be lower.

No., wear resistance isn't the be all, end all. But it comes close. Damned close! I wouldn't want a knife that I had to resharpen every few weeks.

Larrin, thanks for the analysis, sir. Excellent,as usual!

overall, if it really is an improvement over s35vn, this will be great, as it's the most common of high end steels

personally, I'd keep my cpm-m4 gb2 over this, but a ffg pm3 lw in spy27 sounds really nice = p

overall, if it really is an improvement over s35vn, this will be great, as it's the most common of high end steels

personally, I'd keep my cpm-m4 gb2 over this, but a ffg pm3 lw in spy27 sounds really nice = p
Check out the article. It's inferior to S35VN. It's basically on par with CPM-154 for edge retention.

Check out the article. It's inferior to S35VN. It's basically on par with CPM-154 for edge retention.

I've read the article, and those are predictions based on fairly decent software. I know enough of spyderco history to expect they wouldn't be doing this unless it's an improvement. It will be interesting to see how well they really turn out.

I feel thats the wrong way to look at it.

There are advantages to this as well.

If we had the steel available for a Micrograph we would see finer Carbides than CPM154, Sg2 and S35VN.

This SPY27 is also capable of higher hardness.

The idea with finer Carbides and lower volume is in most cases it leads to superior edge Stability if the heat treatment and Geometry is correct.
All this meaning in use the user will experience less chipping and rolling and a wider audience can use thinner edge geometry to enhance the edge holding rather than just carbides. Another benifit is folks that don't believe they need diamond for super steel will not have as much detriment to edge performance using a wider range of abrasives.

What we may see is that in real world folks will experience More edge holding with this steel over s35vn do to being able to make the edge sharper to start with and more stability.

Back