New Spyderco-Exclusive Steel CPM SPY27

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Larrin, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Larrin

Larrin KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 17, 2004
    Psy223, Mecha, gotgoat and 15 others like this.
  2. madcap_magician

madcap_magician Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2005
    Thanks! I saw it in the Reveal and was all... that's new...

GotSteel and Larrin like this.
  3. dirc

dirc

Jan 31, 2018
    very interesting @Larrin - that is an interesting custom spydy steel, ... I would have preferred the carbon down around 0.9% or 1%

4. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    So basically slightly different S35VN?

marrenmiller likes this.
  5. DeadboxHero

DeadboxHero KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 22, 2014
    Closer to SG2, but finer carbides and more stability on paper with similar wear resistance to super gold but high obtainable hardness.

Bigfattyt, Dangerously and d762nato like this.
  6. Twindog

Twindog Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 6, 2004
    To get its own steel formula and persuade Crucible to make a commitment to a new steel, Spyderco must plan to use a lot of it. And I suppose they have some reason to see it as an improvement over S30V/S35VN. So it's probably a decent knife steel.

But the cynic in me sees it as mostly a marketing ploy.

nivs, SavageSick, jacksterp and 11 others like this.
  7. DeadboxHero

DeadboxHero KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 22, 2014
    Well, ya liked the Vanax more that those steels eh? There is a lot of room for improvement over S30V/s35vn.

It's 2020 now. Time to start applying new knowledge and improve things.

Finer Carbides are always a plus

Will be interesting to see what hardness they use. Hopefully up to +62rc to take advantage of it.

Dangerously likes this.
  8. ScooterG

ScooterG You mean Ireland? Yeah, it’s mine. Platinum Member

Mar 15, 2016
    Thanks for the article. After reading the conclusions paragraph (leaving out composition) and just looking at predicted results, it sounds like CPM-154.

9. tyyreaun

tyyreaun Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 26, 2017
    Or cost reduction. In theory, fewer carbides = easier to machine = fewer man-hours and belts spent per blade.

eon blue apocalypse likes this.
  10. ScooterG

ScooterG You mean Ireland? Yeah, it’s mine. Platinum Member

Mar 15, 2016
    I believe it’s replacing BD1N in the Para3 LW and Manix2 LW, based on Spydercos Reveal they just published. I would also bet they are adding volume to their total spend with Crucible and getting a better cost to them. Not sure if it is easier to tool vs BD1N.

tyyreaun likes this.
  11. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse

Apr 9, 2019
    Depressing. It's inferior to S30V and S35VN for wear resistance and is probably what will replace S30V as Spyderco's defacto steel in the future.

Revolverrodger and hardheart like this.
  12. insta9ves

insta9ves

Apr 3, 2007
    Wear resistance is not be all end all.

13. Cscotttsss

Cscotttsss Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Larrin likes this.
  14. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    If its similar to cpm-154 and inferior to s30v/s35vn in terms of wear resistence, I am not impressed UNLESS the knife prices will be lower.

Ben Dover likes this.
  15. Ben Dover

Ben Dover Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 2, 2006
    No., wear resistance isn't the be all, end all. But it comes close. Damned close! I wouldn't want a knife that I had to resharpen every few weeks.

Larrin, thanks for the analysis, sir. Excellent,as usual!

tyyreaun and Larrin like this.
  16. dirc

dirc

Jan 31, 2018
    overall, if it really is an improvement over s35vn, this will be great, as it's the most common of high end steels

personally, I'd keep my cpm-m4 gb2 over this, but a ffg pm3 lw in spy27 sounds really nice = p

Larrin likes this.
  17. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse

Apr 9, 2019
    Check out the article. It's inferior to S35VN. It's basically on par with CPM-154 for edge retention.

18. dirc

dirc

Jan 31, 2018
    I've read the article, and those are predictions based on fairly decent software. I know enough of spyderco history to expect they wouldn't be doing this unless it's an improvement. It will be interesting to see how well they really turn out.

19. DeadboxHero

Mar 22, 2014
    I feel thats the wrong way to look at it.

There are advantages to this as well.

If we had the steel available for a Micrograph we would see finer Carbides than CPM154, Sg2 and S35VN.

This SPY27 is also capable of higher hardness.

The idea with finer Carbides and lower volume is in most cases it leads to superior edge Stability if the heat treatment and Geometry is correct.
    All this meaning in use the user will experience less chipping and rolling and a wider audience can use thinner edge geometry to enhance the edge holding rather than just carbides. Another benifit is folks that don't believe they need diamond for super steel will not have as much detriment to edge performance using a wider range of abrasives.

What we may see is that in real world folks will experience More edge holding with this steel over s35vn do to being able to make the edge sharper to start with and more stability.

Lee D, steff27, BMCGear and 9 others like this.
  20. Alberta Ed

Alberta Ed

Jun 29, 1999
    Dang... another super steel means another knife. Can't wait.