new spyderco matriarch

looks like these are selling out pretty fast. the ones on ebay are all overpriced and dont seem to last long either. is this knife really in that high demand??

obviously ill buy both SE and plain edge if i can, but if you could only get one version which would you guys prefer?

looks be darned, they cut beautifully. :p

Exactly, serrated for me. Also it's not a karambit, rather a reverse S. The difference is that there is a belly in the middle of the curve (double recurve). the knife is not a utility knife either, I wonder how many broken ones will be around when people attempt to do utility work with it. :D :D :D

Exactly, serrated for me. Also it's not a karambit, rather a reverse S. The difference is that there is a belly in the middle of the curve (double recurve). the knife is not a utility knife either, I wonder how many broken ones will be around when people attempt to do utility work with it. :D :D :D

I have a plain edge on preorder here, may get a spyderedge down the road to go with it.
They claim it to be a utility version of the civillian:
The female leader of a herd of elephants is called a Matriarch. The Spyderco Matriarch came about in the 1990s after a South African distributor requested a lightweight folder similar to the Spyderco Civilian.

He wanted the attributes of the Civilian with its tremendous cutting effort but in a smaller size and thicker at the tip of the blade for general use. We made him the Matriarch which eventually was discontinued but is being revived for a limited time during the summer of 2010 as a Sprint Run.

The Matriarch handle in coco-brown features the Volcano Grip FRN handle to ensure solid grip performance while cutting.

Shaped like a backward “S” and full at the belly, the VG-10 blade is available with a SpyderEdge or PlainEdge. With the curving thick tip, both edge configurations are highly effective when cutting using just the tip or when using a full arm motion. A left/right hand clip affixes the folder to carry tip-up in a pocket.

The Matriarch is a highly refined and coveted design we believe will offer years of serviceable use.

The tip on the new one is still very thin. I don't think it would hold up to much torture. But.....it's excellent (I'm sure) for it's intended self-defense purpose.

if you want a hawbill knife for utility buy a harpy or one of the salt hawkbills. those are actually made for utlity and have stronger tips. the matriarch and civilian are for self defense only.

I think that the matriarch sprint is just a novelty item with not much practical applications for EDC. I'm not even sure that it will do well in it's designed role as SD carry for people with no knife training.

if you want a hawbill knife for utility buy a harpy or one of the salt hawkbills. those are actually made for utlity and have stronger tips. the matriarch and civilian are for self defense only.

Thinking about it the other way, how would the salt hawkbills rate for self defense?

Thinking about it the other way, how would the salt hawkbills rate for self defense?

The salt hawkbills are quite capable knives. In the hands of anyone who knows what they're doing, I think they are more than sufficient.

Assuming, of course, that you can't carry a better weapon.

sal actually posted once a long time ago about how the harpy and salt hawkbills arent suitable for self defense. i forgot the exact reason he stated, maybe someone else knows? i do have the harpy though, and i do feel confident carrying it for self defense.

I seriously considered buying one, but a liner-less design is a bit scary for my tastes.

Back