*New stock* Schrade LB7 <$15 at Sportsman's Warehouse

I moved to the Denver area from Austin this past May and I'm still trying to find time (and funding) to visit all the knife retailers in my area.

Today, I visited Sportsman's Warehouse (a chain I'd never encountered in Texas) and was astounded to find new (Taylor) production Schrade LB7 models on sale for $14.99 (plus tax). I'd been wanting to pick up a new Taylor Schrade to check QC and fit-and-finish, and I figured for $15, I'd take the leap.

I previously owned a Schrade folding hunter (6OT) with Delrin scales, but never an LB7 with wooden scales. The fit and finish on this new Chinese-made LB7 is very good - I'd say 3.5 out of 5 stars, maybe 4/5 if you disregard the blade (see below).

The wooden scales are smoothly finished and tight on the frame; there's no gap between scales and bolsters, and the bolsters are well-machined and gleaming. The lockback is rather stiff and the blade pivot feels gritty, but one gets that even with high-end knives (or at least I do).

The blade locks up tight with no play in any direction and was not-quite-shaving sharp out of the packaging. My only slam against this knife is the blade profile. The hollow grind and edge seem competently done for a knife at this price point (my Buck 110s and Spydercos have all been better-ground out of the box, but they cost more, too). However, the 'arc' of the blade -- the outline of the edge, not the edge itself -- is not smooth and uniform. In other words, if you imagine that the belly of a clip-point blade forms part of an imaginary arc, the belly of this LB7's blade is ragged and uneven.

Sorry, the blade thing is hard to explain. I can post a pic later if there's interest. But, for $15, I'd say this LB7 seems like a good beater. We'll see how it 'cleans up' after a few passes on my Sharpmaker and some cleaning and oiling.

PS - The only clearly crappy part of the deal was the leather sheath. The leather itself is clearly bottom-of-the-barrel quality and the sheath is too wide so the LB7 rattles around inside when the flap is shut. Still, for $15...

Well, I just received in the mail a mint, USA made Schrade LB7. Here's a report on it:

Solid knife all around. It's a hunk of a knife with excellent fit and finish. Locks up like a tank. In contrast to a Buck 110, the brass bolsters on this one appear "brushed" instead of polished smooth. Not quite as attractive in my eyes, but the design is at least consistent with the lines on the sawcut delrin scales. I polished the bolsters up nicely with some Brasso. This one took a good edge on a Spyderco Sharpmaker, but nothing yet to report on edge holding. The sheath was a decent leather model (that my 16 month-old has taken quite a liking to... he's been carrying it around everywhere). However, I actually prefer nylon sheaths for working knives, and I was able to pick up an original LB7 nylon sheath on eBay for $3.99 and shipping.

Paid $20 shipped for the knife/original sheath and about $7.50 total for the nylon sheath. A good overall package for $27.50.

Words fail me.

Thanks for your response, Guyon.

Mg... treat yourself. Buy the real thing.

textoothpk said:
Mg... treat yourself. Buy the real thing.

Oh, I own several USA-made Schrades. I just wanted to try out a China-made model to see if it was anywhere near to old stock quality, and it's not. So, I confirmed what I already suspected and have a new beater blade. ;)

Guyon said:
In contrast to a Buck 110, the brass bolsters on this one appear "brushed" instead of polished smooth. Not quite as attractive in my eyes, but the design is at least consistent with the lines on the sawcut delrin scales.

Did you receive a 7OT or a LB7? It sounds like you're describing a 7OT, the bolsters of LB7's are polished and do not have saw-cut Delrin scales.

My apologies, MG. The China/Taylor/Schrade subject makes me a little nutty.

On the topic of Taylor/Schrade's, I picked up a 129OT Schrade Classics Sowbelly with Sheep Horn scales last week, and ti's actually a decent knife, good constructiona nd fit and finish, razor sharp blades good tight blades and strong backsprings.

So far I like it, anyone else tried this one?

Schrade-129OT-1.jpg

redshanks said:
Did you receive a 7OT or a LB7? It sounds like you're describing a 7OT, the bolsters of LB7's are polished and do not have saw-cut Delrin scales.
You nailed it. I must have been brain dead when I posted that last response. 7OT it is. The LB7 is a lot more similar to a Buck 110, huh? Polished bolsters and wood scales.

One of my christmas presents is a Taylor LB7.I took it out of the sheath and two of the pins fell out of the scales.The brass was green and the wood looked as if it had been run over by a truck.It was new but if this is what they are selling they wo'nt be around long.

Last Confederate... the only thing 'Schrade' about the knife you show us is the name. Schrade never made a knife of that pattern, of that model number or with that handle. Your knife has kinship only with the Chinese offerings currently sold marked Marbles, Winchester, Remington--- same stuff, fantasy pieces, no relationship at all to the great American firms whose names were whored out by some cheap pimp.

Worst example I've seen lately is a copy of the George Schrade sports folder sold marked as a Marbles. The knife is an insult to the memory of both manufacturers.

Once more, this particular subject makes me nutty. I've tried to offer a more thought out response to Conferate's post than I did to MBs.

TLC, I think your post was on topic and I'm not adverse to learning more about Schrade knives, even the Taylor-made knives, but if you did a little reading here, you'd have a better understanding of the comments that were made. I'm new to this forum, but before I ever posted here, I did a lot of reading and learned a little of the history of how it came into being.

This forum is an offshoot of the old original Schrade Manufacturers forum that went South when the company closed its doors. It was resurrected in its current guise for collectors of the old Schrade brands that were made in the USA, to meet and share information.

Stick around and you'll learn a lot from a great group of guys. Given your interest in knives, I expect to learn much from you too.

Back