new tactical gladius design - ongoing WIP

Reworked the temp handle a bit to see which I like. The texturing is grippy and aggressive, but might not be as comfortable. I think it looks cooler, particularly on the bocote, but final rendition will probably be a smooth handle, or wide textured.

2012-07-15191101.jpg
2012-07-15191115.jpg

2012-07-15191045.jpg

I think the angles you used for the bevel terminations work very well with your integral guard.

That looks real nice. I think you said it was about 2 pounds which doesn't seem overly heavy. Even with that weight I would be inclined to use a metal spacer in the handle to shift the balance further down to the handle; even if it adds just a bit more weight it may result in better handling.

I'm not sure I WANT the balance too much closer to the handle. I envision this as mostly a thrusting weapon, with slicing power being in the forward third of the blade, and in my experience, I find a slight forward balance to be better for such a weapon, so you can make use of the momentum of the blade to help effect the damage. Also, I want to keep the hilt as light as possible, since as a thrusting weapon, on some moves the hilt may see more movement than the tip.

I also am thinking I might name it the Sword of Argurios, after one of my favorite characters from a book.

I appreciate the input, and will consider it. The other advantage to liners is that I can do more interesting filework if I get some liners. Probably nickel silver or something.

definitely not neutral. Somewhere between 1 and 2 inches above the handle.

keeps the blade lively but gives you a nice solid weight in your swing.

how's the project progressing? have you done anything new?

Nope, it's still out at Darrin's getting heat treated. I can't WAIT to get her back. I did get the mosaic pins to fill the holes in the guard, so I don't trespass on the Busse Talon hole. Also got some equipment for kydexing it up, if I decide to go that route instead of leather.

-edit-

Also, once I finalize the design on this one and get it to something I really like, I'm planning a 3V and a damascus one. That will give me a budget one, a race grade monosteel one, and a wall-hanger one.

At some point will need to grind out the companion dagger as well. Got the pattern for that drawn up.

did you get the long winded email i sent you about the kukri. Darrin does some SERIOUSLY awesome HT. I've been pounding the heck out of that thing and it's still pretty dang sharp after my first convexing.

The pins in the guards are gonna look COOL!! i can't wait to see what that looks like

I sure did! I've been really happy with Darrin's heat treat too. I haven't tried side-loads, but you can't beat the edge it will take and hold. I can't wait to see what he can do with 3V. He triple tempers and everything, and at a bargain price.

3v impresses the heck out of me... especially the CPM version.

You ought to sell that first run at a bargain to your best customer ;)

We shall see... At the very least I might do a passaround. Although, I'd probably be more likely to make you one with a black/blue G10 handle at a bargain price, Chris. Would want it to match your kukri, after all.

llcarter, hope you stay tuned. I'll certainly be making more of these for sale once I make sure I like the design and handling. Will probably be charging around 200-250 tops for a 5160 version with sheath.

OOOOOO... nice idea! I do have a blue/black g10 thing going these days... all my Busses are gonna have that pattern to match my Kukri.

you kinda set the tone for the rest of my collection

personally, i think the 5160 is great if you plan to do more with it than put it in a closet and play with it. I like to do things like hack up trees and toasters. 5160 does that stuff really well

Yeah, I like 5160, and it's like 10 times cheaper than the CPM 3V. 3V is almost as expensive as damascus steel.

I'd be interested to play with it, but I don't think Darrin knows how to heat treat it and all. I figure 3V is probably plenty good.

s7... that's all i'm sayin

it's the non-jerry man's INFI, and actually better in a few categories (although not in all)

s7... that's all i'm sayin

it's the non-jerry man's INFI, and actually better in a few categories (although not in all)

I dunno about that though. S7 has great toughness, but 3V is supposed to have much better wear resistance. I'm more a fan of wear resistance than I am of toughness, and 3V is supposed to be very tough.

Back