New TNK offerings

blackend

Gold Member
I missed the last batch of limited addition Gunhammers. Kind of glad I did, I really like the new offerings. I picked up the Torpedo blade. Guess it's the new bowie. It should be here Monday. The new copper handles are sweet!
Review to follow.

I think I just drooled all over myself. I am kinda kicking myself for not getting a bowie blade earlier; I am seriously doubting that I'll ever carry another folding knife, at least until I get a custom Gun Hammer.

The FedEX box of happiness has arrived. Inside is the usual HTM box, which always brings a grin to my face.

2011-10-13125223.jpg

HTM, unlike any other maker that I've dealt with, includes a nice cushioned nylon case with the DDR logo on it in leather. It's beautiful, although unnecessary for me because I carry my DDR's as my EDC folders. It's still a great touch, and now that I'll be carrying this one instead of my Radian blade version, that one can live in it's case.

2011-10-13125244.jpg

The baby emerges from it's cushioned womb:

2011-10-13125308.jpg

2011-10-13125318.jpg

Looks great! I like the handle design because you get a wide blade and yet a low profile knife. It's lightweight and doesn't take up too much room, but you get a LOT of knife. A side view reveals that the blade has been rounded a bit at the bottom so there's no protruding sharp edges to cut your finger if you should happen to push too hard when you're using the flipper, as happened earlier. It's nice to see a company fix an issue like that.

2011-10-13125347.jpg

I love how thick the spine is; this is one heck of a durable folding knife!

2011-10-13125358.jpg

Time to pop it open!

2011-10-13125419.jpg

Wow! This one has more kick than my other GH! When I opened it for the first time, I had it in a loose grip, and I'm afraid I dropped it onto the carpet! Wow, that's got some recoil. I'm not sure why, but this knife literally flies open.

2011-10-13125419.jpg

2011-10-13125440.jpg

This one has a nice jimped thumb ramp as well, just like the original GH Bowie:

2011-10-13125454.jpg

However, you may have noticed that it lacks the swedge. I can't say as how I care, because the balance is great; right over the first finger, which is where I want the balance on a folder. And it came SHARP. First knife I've ever had that was literally hair-whittling sharp out of the box. Look at that edge!

2011-10-13125521.jpg

It push cuts cardboard like there's no tomorrow, and the aggressive tip profile gives it good penetration on a thrust as well. This knife can cut amazingly.

I'm working on a brief video. It's nothing amazing, and I repeat myself a lot, so I may have to re-record it. But I'm impressed. I can't imagine carrying another knife, at least until Darrel comes out with a version with a lock that's similar to an AXIS lock...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsnMjBr6190

Last edited:
Very nice pix and review. Just a couple questions tho. Is the copper colored handle true to your pictures, or is the handle actually shiny? Also how strong is the detent? I know the SAO system helps keep it closed, but I may remove the spring assist and need a strong detent!

Sweet pics and review! I'm inching closer and closer to picking up one of those TNK Gunhammers myself.

Very nice pix and review. Just a couple questions tho. Is the copper colored handle true to your pictures, or is the handle actually shiny? Also how strong is the detent? I know the SAO system helps keep it closed, but I may remove the spring assist and need a strong detent!

It's true to the pictures. There's a bit of a sheen, but it's not shiny. I don't really know about the detent. Not sure how to go about testing it independent of the SAO, since I don't plan on removing it.

Neuron, it's a great knife. If you like the looks of it, I think you'll be really happy with it.

This isn't really a review, just some first impressions. I'll work on a real review at some point here.

My TNK Copper Radian is scheduled to arrive Friday before 10:30am. My b'day gift to myself. I loved the blade and almost bought one of the Hi Q models.

Joe

Alright, I gave in last night and ordered a pair of TNK HTM Torpedo Gunhammers. Should go well with the other HTM Torpedo Gunhammers I have on order, and with my DDR custom Gunhammer. :D

Good job neuron! Way to give in! Does that put you over the bubble into the next level of crew badge? Cause I count 5 there, and you only need one other to step up to the next level!

Good job neuron! Way to give in! Does that put you over the bubble into the next level of crew badge? Cause I count 5 there, and you only need one other to step up to the next level!
Haha, yeah, I think it does. At least one of the HTM Gunhammers I ordered direct from HTM is on backorder while they make more, so I might have to wait until that arrives until I "officially" request the next badge level. Right now, the DDR knives I have in hand or on order (and paid for) are as follows, for a total of 6:

HTM: 2 TNK Copper/DLC Torpedo Gunhammers, 1 Black/Satin Torpedo Gunhammer (unassisted), 1 Black/DLC Torpedo Gunhammer (assisted)
DDR custom: 1 Madd Maxx 5.5, 1 Torpedo Gunhammer

(Yeah, I love the Torpedo blade -- spear points in general are easily my favorite blade shape. :D)

Pictures please! Let's see those customs especially!
Haha, I knew a request for pics would be coming as soon as I posted that. I think I'll wait until all (or at least more) of the knives I've ordered have arrived and then post a picture thread. :)

So I received my Torpedo Gunhammer the other day, and I really like it overall. I wanted the SAO version just to have the option available in case I wanted to remove the spring for manual carry. Once I removed the spring I found that the ball detent to keep the blade closed did not work at all. Disappointed to say the least. So I contacted Virgil at HTM and he said send it to him to fix, no charge. So great customer service, though again, for a $300+ folder, I would have thought product control would be tighter. I understand that the SAO system helps keep the blade closed, but I like the detent to be there just for back up retention.

The crew at HTM seem to be an upstanding group that does care about their products. I have complete faith that this matter will be taken care of! As for the rest of the knife; fit, finish, and ergos are excellent! I love the overall size of this knife. Just a bit shorter in handle and blade length than my large Sebenza 21. The dark matte finish of the SS blasted S30v blade is very cool!
utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTExMDE3LTAwMDc0LmpwZw.jpg

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTExMDE3LTAwMDc1LmpwZw.jpg

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTExMDE3LTAwMDczLmpwZw.jpg

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTExMDE3LTAwMDc3LmpwZw.jpg

Pretty sure they media blasted the finish before applying the copper anno. That gives it a bit more grip since the finish isn't as smooth as if it were polished.

My Gunny is an earlier revision in black mil type III hard anno. It's slicker in feel than the copper one. I much prefer the copper feel.

Pretty sure they media blasted the finish before applying the copper anno. That gives it a bit more grip since the finish isn't as smooth as if it were polished.

My Gunny is an earlier revision in black mil type III hard anno. It's slicker in feel than the copper one. I much prefer the copper feel.

Interesting. With as much texturing as the Gun Hammer has with its 3D machining I would expect the benefits of media blasting to be negligible.

I wonder what titanium will feel like with an ETAC grip. I imagine a bead-blasted or stonewashed ETAC handle would be nice and grippy (not to mention incredibly eye-catching). Darrel seems to love putting a satin finish on titanium. That would look a bit flashy on ETAC (with all of the nooks and subsurfaces) so he'll probably choose a different finish.

These copper GHs look fantastic, though. I would get one of these if I didn't already have my eye on the 4-incher as my first true DR.

Back