New Umnumzaan Pivot

mongomondo

SUPPRESSING FIRE
Look what I saw today.

3akIw.jpg

Edit: removed pic of other side because I think it's from a different older Umnum

Last edited:
hmmmmm, I wonder if this also carries the new style washers??

Also, I like uniformity...that would bug me, slightly.

Chris told me at Blade they would be changing to this standard pivot.(right when I showed him my Umnumzaan tools :p) I'm surprised it's not a total change over though ? That might have to do with a cross over in parts already made. I like it much more than the original pivot my self, it's makes the knife a lot cleaner looking and matches the rest of the screws perfectly....on one side.

Moving to a standard tool for takedown from a nonstandard one is a beneficial change IMO, but my pivot spins unless I use a tool on each side, so if it is asymmetrical like that, you'll still need the four-prong tool :(

Moving to a standard tool for takedown from a nonstandard one is a beneficial change IMO, but my pivot spins unless I use a tool on each side, so if it is asymmetrical like that, you'll still need the four-prong tool :(

My old style pivot only requires one tool, it grabs the frame enough that its a non issue.

Eh, eh, well...I don't know that I dig it. I like the "I'm gonna take your lunch money and your gonna like it" look of the current pivot. It's just meatier and goes better with the knife.

The tool isn't an issue in terms of difficulty. I was surprised at how easy disassembly and reassembly was, even with lock tight. My only issue with the tool is it being plastic, no matter how high tech the stuff is, I'm still missing a peg on one.

Anyway, I don't like it, but I know Chris will do what he will do so this'll be the extent of my whining about it:D

I just wish he would use the bushing on the 21 on all of his knives, and I really don't understand why he did away with it on the Umnum and the 25. I could care less about the pivot, I just love the fact that I can tighten the pivot on my Sebenza all the way down and still have it open smooth as can be.

That's pretty funky looking, i like the previous version more, and with the old jimping. I don't mind the lbs though, i kind of like it actually. CRK probably put that new pivot because it is the same one the sebenza 25 will use (at least it looks like it to me) and it probably means less work manufacturing the other pivot end for the umnumzaan. Also i guess to be able to take it apart easier.

It's the same pivot used on the Ti-lock and 25. I like it and it's a step in the right direction IMO, back to uniformety and simplicity. None of this sperate pivot and/or tool for every different knife.

interesting upgrade, you can now take it apart but it looks as said non symmetric
the front remained the same and that's a good thing!

I have to say that the old one I have (large jimping, S30V, no lbs, old pivot, idaho stamp) is my favourite knife probably but this new one is very interesting and worth a try
it's good to see improvements (may they be economical or useful)

wow, interesting. it seems likely it'll change to what the 25 is maybe after old parts have been used up. this configuration will be easier for people to take down for sure if they can't do it with one tool. I wonder if anyone will have the full umnumzaan set with all of these changes.

Well, I can honestly say that the new jimping and pivot style have ruined the Umnum for me. Glad I have two pre-change examples.

Does anyone else see this as cost cutting? A lot of the changes that have been made lately seemingly eliminate a lot of extra steps that CRK used to take.......

Well, I can honestly say that the new jimping and pivot style have ruined the Umnum for me. Glad I have two pre-change examples.

Does anyone else see this as cost cutting? A lot of the changes that have been made lately seemingly eliminate a lot of extra steps that CRK used to take.......

well yes, I said it and the idea came to my mind after seeing some initial changes (lbs, pivot, no bushing...)
less parts, less steps, less errors

Absolutely!

I don't own one so I feel a bit off-topic but examine the changes from the Sebenza 21 to the 25:

How many Sebenzas has Chris & crew had to tune up to fix stiffness caused mostly, by the bushing & washer system? Loads and by eliminating the bushing in the 25, it's like any other folder now that "you" dial in yourself and use lock-tite or plumber's tape to hold it in place where you like it. Returns for stiff opening & closing are slashed.

In return he gives a beefier looking new style of blade (which I don't know if it's any longer, thicker etc.) than the current 21. That's cost cutting big time.

On the Umnumzaan, you're trading off the symmetry of the lock side pivot "look" but he's tossed a stabilizer in there - (very cool to me anyway). But uglified with the torx screw side yes/no?

I think CRK has been moving toward cutting cost and labor in the switch to the 25 Sebenza so it would appear in the Umnumzaan that he'd follow suit. It's good business and if the knife stays up to par in quality (unknown) then well done IMO. :)

Maybe I’m weird, but to my eye it cleaned up the cluttered look on the lockside. I much prefer the look of the early Umnumzaan; but since the addition of the lock stop, or whatever you call it, there was too much going on back there for me.

My old style pivot only requires one tool, it grabs the frame enough that its a non issue.

I wish mine was like that. Somehow I managed to misplace one of the pivot tools (seriously, how does that happen -- idiocy, that's how :p) and couldn't get it apart. Tried it closed, open, with the back screw out, and I got it loosened slightly but not apart. Ended up buying another tool set.

For me, both the pivot (if it is switched to torx on both sides) and jimping are welcome changes.

I liked the umnum the way it was when it first came out. All of these changes...ie, jimping, over travel stop, new pivot..Im not too sure now what will be the difference between the new 25 and the umnum other than the blade shape? Thoughts?

I agree 100%...didnt see this post until after I initially posted. Ford motor Co did this sort of thing a while back, and every vehicle shared identical parts/looks...really unattractive/uncreative

Back