New XM-18 4th Gen

When you reach my age, you need a high fiber diet.

"True That" (as my teenagers say)...... We should send an email, perhaps our Major Medical will kick in for the sake of good health. ;)

I have a lot of Ti (in my body) and I didn't even ask! :p

Nice Gen 4! I noticed the pond scum scale matches the laser marks too. Also found a couple other items that match, gotta accessorize! :D

pondscum.jpg

That's a heck-of-a nice setup! Pond scum is one of my favorites...well behind translucent green!:D

i cant wait to get mine, its my goal to buy one this year! its so hard not to buy the 0560, but i want to wait and afford the xm-18

i cant wait to get mine, its my goal to buy one this year! its so hard not to buy the 0560, but i want to wait and afford the xm-18

A little discipline will pay off in the "end". There are a handful of knives a "knife enthusiast" must experience / own and the XM-18 is certainly among them.

Like the photos in the forum lately, I've been unusually busy so my contributions are fewer...I'll fix that soon.

The blue-black looks more dynamic upon seeing it juxtaposed to the orange and pond. I'll have to opt for this scale on the next XM. I wonder, do most owners of the 3.5" XM-18 usually prefer to move up to the XM-24 or down to a 3" XM-18 on a subsequent purchase?

The blue-black looks more dynamic upon seeing it juxtaposed to the orange and pond. I'll have to opt for this scale on the next XM. I wonder, do most owners of the 3.5" XM-18 usually prefer to move up to the XM-24 or down to a 3" XM-18 on a subsequent purchase?

I agree with you...I was amazed how good the Blue/Black looked when I installed it yesterday. The layering is very unique and gives the knife a very cool look, especially in person. To answer your other question, I started with a 3" and then moved to the 3.5". After seeing/feeling the size/weight difference between these two, I am fairly certain that the XM-24 would be way to large/heavy for my purposes. The XM-24 is a real beast, and for the right person...I am sure it is perfect, but that person isn't me :)

The difference between the two is much larger than it appears in these pics. I consider the 3" to be the perfect pocket-size EDC for most of my daily tasks.

XMBoth2Web.jpg

XMTopViewWeb.jpg

XMCloseBWeb.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder, do most owners of the 3.5" XM-18 usually prefer to move up to the XM-24 or down to a 3" XM-18 on a subsequent purchase?

Depends on how they come to you. For example, my first was picked from a lottery win and my second was a lucky find from an authorized retailer. That said; in a lottery win, the rarer the knife, the more attractive; so my bronze 24 was the one. The retailer one was a 3.5. Since then it's been more 3.5s, a 3" and some additional 24s.

My first 2 Hinderers were 3.5", my third was an XM-24. Only then did I decide to try a 3". I still alternate between getting rid of all my 3"s, then getting new ones and loving the size, then getting rid of them again.

It was time to make my XM-18 a lanyard companion. The first lanyard in the top 4 photos was too long for my tastes and I forgot to put a diamond knot on the other side of the bead. I decided to replace it with a shorter lanyard and double diamond. I also touched up the blade on my Spyderco Sharp Maker. What do you think?

IMG_2114_zps88cfff25.jpg

IMG_2112_zps9f0a5a26.jpg

IMG_2117_zpsf3ac2d31.jpg

IMG_2115_zps8aca16ca.jpg

Replaced with a double diamond lanyard:

IMG_2118_zpsfbba6a61.jpg

IMG_2119_zps2054ce7a.jpg

IMG_2120_zps23f476ad.jpg

Sharpmaker with diamond & ultra fine stones results:

IMG_2122_zpsd61bd25f.jpg

IMG_2125_zps41f8983c.jpg

I had an another frequent encounter with a diamondback while handling business on the clock. The Hinderer did a good job of finishing the job and cleaning up the mess.

Snake_zps1e348b54.png

IMG_2142_zpsa6a73ade.jpg

IMG_2140_zpsd02342dd.jpg

IMG_2141_zps3ce18ed9.jpg

Whoa that thing was practically invisible! Did it warn you? And hope it didn't eat your lanyard bead!

Back