New Zealand DIY Free Range Hunt of a Lifetime!! (Busse Content)

I love it here. You're going to have a blast on your bear hunt I'll wager. Will you bait, spot-and-stalk or try to harvest with the aid of hounds?

Hmmm....I was going to PM you a link to a thread you might enjoy but I'll try your Visitor Messages instead and see if they are turned on.

I will be going for spot and stalk. My friend likes the idea of cooking up some 'bear crack' too so we will see how it goes. I bought a new bow which I will bring, so if the bear crack cooking thing works, I might get to pull out the bow.

If it doesn't work, email it mate ammonwilkes@hotmail.com

Thanks for the write up mate. I have enjoyed it greatly as I pack, unpack and repack my gear....not to mention sticking my honking big pack on and going walking here, you have provided some great inspiration. You probably found out just how much a part of the culture hunting is in NZ. I could easily jump the pond for good if given the chance !!

Which airline did you fly over with ?
Glad I could get you some inspiration for the trip. They are big into hunting and it is amazing how accepted you feel for something so natural. I could live there in a heart beat too! The wife would put up a fight though...

Honestly don't remember which airline but maybe Air NZ.

IMG_0338_zpss86gigvt.jpg

Got anymore pics of the Boss Jack, looks exactly like one I had years ago that got carried extensively in the field.

Awesome pics and story, makes me jealous that I have not gotten out to hunt in far too long due to circumstance… cheers!

Love the CABS! Skeletonize the handle and round off the butt and it would be the greatest knife ever created.

That was a great read. You are an excellent writer.

Whole trip can be summed up as EPIC. The writing and the location. The gear and the blades (CABS and the mammoth tooth ASH 1 from page 1. Just wow.) The pictures of the meat had me salivating. Not to mention your pics remind me of Bjorn from Vikings. And your friend looks like a viking as well!

What a trip. Thank you for sharing.

Wilkes, thanks so much for your time, narration, and pictures of the hunt, awesome in every manner of speaking!!

That was a great read. You are an excellent writer.

Whole trip can be summed up as EPIC. The writing and the location. The gear and the blades (CABS and the mammoth tooth ASH 1 from page 1. Just wow.) The pictures of the meat had me salivating. Not to mention your pics remind me of Bjorn from Vikings. And your friend looks like a viking as well!

What a trip. Thank you for sharing.

Extremely kind words brother, I really appreciate them. Good eye on the mammoth tooth ASH 1. It's a much bigger knife in person than I expected. Once we finally got first meat I felt like the character from the book 'The Hatchet' where he is stranded in the Alaskan wilderness and finally catches his first animal. There is Viking blood running in our veins!!

Wilkes, thanks so much for your time, narration, and pictures of the hunt, awesome in every manner of speaking!!

I really enjoyed writing it. I might need to consider sending submissions to hunting magazines or contributing to online hunting websites. It's fun.

Also, if anyone reading this had an MBC or SAR 3 for sale, please let me know! Prefer the MBC and don't mind if it's a user. Likely be my hunting knife for the upcoming adventure.

Hey Wilkes, having used both the SAR3 & the MBC, I would opt for the SAR3. Great blade shape for game with an awesome handle yet still thick/strong enough to baton kindling if need be. The MBC is a little lighter but feels more fragile and is realistically suited for children's large or women's extra small sized hands like my wife has.

If weight is the most important factor, the lightest Busse(kin) I have used on game are the elmax HACK warden & the Scrapmax 340. Both kept edges very well and are strong enough for an adventure if you support/reinforce them in kydex for pocket carry.

I sold my CABS because the handle wasn't to my liking as you mentioned and I did not wish to modify an otherwise great blade.

Thanks Tim! Missed a great price on a user SAR3 by 20 mins today...

Pretty interesting that we both had the same opinion of the CABS. SAR 3 Looks about right but I'm worried the handle might still be too much for me. We will see.

I just finished working an all-nighter......

I'm wiped out and ready for bed.....

...and then I read your latest installment!!!:eek:

(shakes fist at sky and screams!). WHY????!!!!!

Now I have to drink in order to get to sleep!:thumbup:

See what you've done?

You've driven me to drink!:eek:

Those who know me will tell you how difficult it is to get me to drink.....

Right guys???

Anyone?:confused:

Is this thing on?:confused:

Let's drink!:thumbup:

Jerry:D

I think I can say confidently right now that I have no idea what you are talking about…. but I think I get what you're saying… ;) :eek:

If anything, I would think the SAR 3 handle may be too small.

Here's a pic off the internet that has the SAR 3, CABS and others if this helps.

DSC_4897_resize.jpg

Thanks Tim! Missed a great price on a user SAR3 by 20 mins today...

Pretty interesting that we both had the same opinion of the CABS. SAR 3 Looks about right but I'm worried the handle might still be too much for me. We will see.

You will likely encounter this 'issue' (subjective) with any smaller Busse blades, excepting anything with a skeletonized handle…. finding yourself one of those would be my strong recommendation - then have a knife maker fit a set of handle slabs for you.

Thanks for the comparison photo - Looks like a SAR 3 would go really nicely with what I'm after. Good size in general.

Still really keen on an MBC for a gentleman's EDC.

The MBC is a sweet little blade mate, you would not go wrong. I think I mentioned it in your other thread but my B4 has served me very well breaking down and skinning game. What I would love is a HRLM in INFI !!

Thanks for the comparison photo - Looks like a SAR 3 would go really nicely with what I'm after. Good size in general.

Still really keen on an MBC for a gentleman's EDC.

I like the SAR 3 personally. I worded my previous response a bit misleading. What I should have said is I definitely don't think it will be too big of a handle.

I'll get some better pics up tomorrow.

Back