New ZT?

0640 Emerson

Yep.

746-C15-EF-3-E94-43-E5-9-C85-E5-B8-A710-F7-BD.jpg

The ZT 0640 will be hard pass for me as well... If It was the ZT version of the Emerson Sheepdog I would be very interested.

Yellow carbon fiber alone is a dealbreaker;not the most attractive carbon fiber out there......

Looks ugly to me. Good news is I can use the saved money on a ZT 0920 or 0804 that I hesitated to pull trigger on.

It's going to be amusing when a ZT with better materials and build quality (by significant margins) comes in priced lower than an actual Emerson knife.

If you knew what actual Vipers go for, it's going to be far more than "significant". LOL

If you knew what actual Vipers go for, it's going to be far more than "significant". LOL

I know what Vipers go for (big #s!), don't think this is anything related to those.

Many people (myself included) speculated that part of why they disco'd the 0620/30 was that they were significantly better knives than actual Emersons and were causing unintended competition to the originals.

No one who knows anything about knives will look at a current ZT and a current Emerson side by side and say the Emerson is superior in build, that includes customs (though to a lesser extent).

I know what Vipers go for (big #s!), don't think this is anything related to those.

Many people (myself included) speculated that part of why they disco'd the 0620/30 was that they were significantly better knives than actual Emersons and were causing unintended competition to the originals.

No one who knows anything about knives will look at a current ZT and a current Emerson side by side and say the Emerson is superior in build, that includes customs (though to a lesser extent).

As someone who is on both main Emerson FB pages, as well as a lurker over on the USN, I can tell you that those speculations were just that, speculation. Also, they are incorrect. Emerson sells all the knives he can make. When he releases a limited run of something, it often sells out in minutes. Trust me when I tell you that ZT selling a couple models in no way threatened Emerson's profit stream. Most Emerson fan like knives on the larger side, which is something the ZT models most objectively did not offer. As for fit and finish, I don't disagree, although I've never had the issues with any of the 24 I've owned that many come in to talk about whenever Emerson is brought up.

Back