Newbie - Pocket Knife With Toddler - Lock Closed

Hello, I'm new to the forum. I'm looking for a pocket knife, but I have a toddler and I really want it to be safe because sometimes I empty my pockets on the kitchen table and he grabs my keys, etc.

Are there any knives that lock closed. I'm not worried about opening it in a hurry, it's more for opening boxes, utility, etc. I'd rather have it locked and only an adult can open it. I've seen knives with safety locks, but none of them automatically locked. You would have to remember to lock the safety. If you didn't, a child could open it w/out any safety precautions. It would be great if when you closed it, the safety went on.

Any help would be awesome. Thanks!

I can’t help with auto locking knives.
Do you think your toddler has enough dexterity to open a slip joint?

It seems like a slip joint could work. That's like a Swiss Army Knife right? I would feel safer w/a auto engaging safety on close, but I could see how this would work. Thanks for the response!

The Benchmade 495/496 Vector has the closest to an "auto lock" that you describe. It has a sliding safety on the spine that you slide back to open the knife, you can then slide it forward while the knife is open, and it will lock the blade once you close it. It still requires the user to slide it back and forth though.

That being said, knife locks are best thought of as operating the same as a safety on a firearm. They are not fool proof, or child proof for that matter. Just as you should always treat a firearm as if it is loaded, treat the knife as if it could be opened and cut with at any time.

Your best option is to lock away the knife in a secure drawer or case if you are worried about your child playing with it.

ETA: Don't rely on just one safety method here, a knife safety is a last line of defense against an accident, it shouldn't be the only line of defense.

Last edited:
Approaching your need from another angle - The CRKT Snap Lock is essentially the equivalent of a childproof bottle - it locks closed, in a way.

The strength and dexterity required to push down the locking mechanism and open the knife are much higher than a child possesses. The CRKT Daktyl is similar but slightly easier.

It seems like a slip joint could work. That's like a Swiss Army Knife right? I would feel safer w/a auto engaging safety on close, but I could see how this would work. Thanks for the response!
Yes and you're welcome.

Checking the knives you suggested now..

What do you guys think of this?

NEW! Schrade SC90B Safety Lock, Tactical Folding Knife - Full Fine Edge

Thanks for all the responses!

I bought a set at Lowe’s that hadn’t utility knife and a button lock folder. That knife locked when closed. It was very annoying. But, would work in your situation.

BC7B3176-6902-4EB2-B1D2-E40AA4B3E4E4.jpeg

Last edited:
Just got a sec to check everything out. Great suggestions. I looked a lot of this week and didn't find what you suggested. Great job.. Thanks!

Check out the Christy companion , they have other models but they're all just the same knife available In different finishes.

You push the slider over and open the blade to one of 4 positions, like a cross between a box cutter and regular pocket knife but it predates the disposable utility knife blade by a long shot if I'm not mistaken.

It cuts like a lazer and I doubt your boy will have the dexterity to operate it.
Now they're only a $20 knife, but since the shipping is $10 you might as well buy two so you can give him the other when he's old enough ;)

Last edited:
Hello, I'm new to the forum. I'm looking for a pocket knife, but I have a toddler and I really want it to be safe because sometimes I empty my pockets on the kitchen table and he grabs my keys, etc.

Are there any knives that lock closed. I'm not worried about opening it in a hurry, it's more for opening boxes, utility, etc. I'd rather have it locked and only an adult can open it. I've seen knives with safety locks, but none of them automatically locked. You would have to remember to lock the safety. If you didn't, a child could open it w/out any safety precautions. It would be great if when you closed it, the safety went on.

Any help would be awesome. Thanks!

If autos are legal in your area something like a Microtech Ultratech would work. It doesn't really lock closed, but the actuator takes a fair amount of hand strength to use. My wife couldn't open the last one I owned, so it would be impossible for a toddler.

microtech-ultratech-SE-CC-sw-121-10CC-BHQ-51426-jr-1.jpg

They come in a huge variety of colors, blade shapes, lengths, etc. A little pricey, like most OTFs, but well made from premium materials. (Even if the owner is a bit of a *****)

Last edited:
One thing I forgot to mention is that these knives can even be trouble for an adult who has never had one and isn't paying enough attention.
When I first got mine I completely forgot how the lock on these operates and didn't notice the little arrow so I kept trying to push it in o_O
You slide it downward to open the knife.

Btw another choice which might actually be just about full proof would be the old novelty trick knives.
They're a slipjoint that locks closed and cannot be opened till you hold the knife in just the right orientation and push in on the blade.
They're a real knife that cuts well, they just have that novelty feature built in that might be advantageous to your situation.

Probably the safest solution is a slipjoint with a strong spring (GEC is a good bet) that a toddler simply won't have enough finger strength to open. Knives that lock closed all can be unlocked by fiddling with them, and toddlers love to fiddle!

Probably the safest solution is a slipjoint with a strong spring (GEC is a good bet) that a toddler simply won't have enough finger strength to open. Knives that lock closed all can be unlocked by fiddling with them, and toddlers love to fiddle!
Depends on the toddler. One of my earliest memories is getting into trouble for playing with my grandpa's slipjoint I swiped from his toolbox when I was 3. Kids are often stronger than we give them credit for.

There's ZERO chance I could've fired a D/A OTF when I was 3 though. Hell, I have trouble with some of them now.

One thing I forgot to mention is that these knives can even be trouble for an adult who has never had one and isn't paying enough attention.
When I first got mine I completely forgot how the lock on these operates and didn't notice the little arrow so I kept trying to push it in o_O
You slide it downward to open the knife.

Btw another choice which might actually be just about full proof would be the old novelty trick knives.
They're a slipjoint that locks closed and cannot be opened till you hold the knife in just the right orientation and push in on the blade.
They're a real knife that cuts well, they just have that novelty feature built in that might be advantageous to your situation.

Have an example of one currently for sale? Pretty rare to hear tale of something I wasn't already familiar with in the knife world. I'd like to check one out. The trick/novelty slippie that is. The Christies have been around forever.

When mine were that young I always made sure my knives were always on me or out of reach. Also like my parents did for me, I made sure there were consequences if they tried to get to dangerous tools.

Back