Newbie - Pocket Knife With Toddler - Lock Closed

Have an example of one currently for sale? Pretty rare to hear tale of something I wasn't already familiar with in the knife world. I'd like to check one out. The trick/novelty slippie that is. The Christies have been around forever.

I was pretty sure there was a current copy available through BudK or something but didn't turn anything up.

People seem to want too much for the imperials on eBay these days, as high as $100 for a knife that originally costed around 10¢ and was still under $5 when they were last made.

Never assume that a toddler can't do something.....thats how bad things happen.
I never thought a 2 year old could open a Northwoods Norfolk whittler but he did...you might be surprised at what a kid can figure out.
1- You need to take responsibility. Keep dangerous stuff away from kids and teach them not to touch things...
2- If a kid can reach it, he will take it and hide it somewhere.

Have an example of one currently for sale? Pretty rare to hear tale of something I wasn't already familiar with in the knife world. I'd like to check one out. The trick/novelty slippie that is. The Christies have been around forever.
I have one of those around somewhere, they have been around for years. They look like a small pen knife. There is a locking bar in the bolster that rolls in a slot when you tip the knife, allowing you to open it.
A smart kid will have this figured out in minutes.....

I've got a couple of slippies that I can barely open without breaking a nail lol.
Thing is that toddlers emulate what we do, that's how they figure things out.
The more they see you opening a particular knife the more apt they are to overcome any safety lock, especially on a modern folder.
Once that lock is released there is little to no resistance getting the blade to swing open.
Maybe get yourself a basket or something for pocket dumps and place it out of reach. Only takes a few times to get in the habit.

Petunia D. Feeble Petunia D. Feeble The Trick Knife, or Mystery knife, was put out by Imperial. It's cool as hell.

Imperial-Mystery-Trick-Knife.jpg

i would go with an opinel with the collar lock.
for even without the collar, i figure only a baby kong could manage pry it open with out the savoyard’s tap...
https://www.opinel.com/en/opinel-and-me/tips/improve-the-blade-opening

then there's the buck redpoint, which has
a slidelock that locks both open and close.
the spring slide has to be continually held in disengaged position to operate.
there is no resistance what so ever to the blade revolving on its pivot though...
0750BKX-B.jpg

https://www.buckknives.com/product/750-redpoint-knife/0750FAM01/

When mine were that young I always made sure my knives were always on me or out of reach. Also like my parents did for me, I made sure there were consequences if they tried to get to dangerous tools.

Never assume that a toddler can't do something.....thats how bad things happen.
I never thought a 2 year old could open a Northwoods Norfolk whittler but he did...you might be surprised at what a kid can figure out.
1- You need to take responsibility. Keep dangerous stuff away from kids and teach them not to touch things...
2- If a kid can reach it, he will take it and hide it somewhere.

I have one of those around somewhere, they have been around for years. They look like a small pen knife. There is a locking bar in the bolster that rolls in a slot when you tip the knife, allowing you to open it.
A smart kid will have this figured out in minutes.....

^^^ This and this ^^^

You have a toddler, nothing should ever be within their reach that you don’t want them touching. Knives, guns, tools, fine china, your collection of vintage glass garden gnomes... welcome to parenthood.

Best bet, buy whatever knife you fancy, and leave it in your pocket and not on a dresser, table, or counter. There is no such thing as a childproof knife. They’ll figure out how to open it long before you can stop them.

There's the WE Knives Helix I forgot about.
High quality knife that locks closed automatically.
I just sold one...:rolleyes:

Yeah I think a lock isn't the answer. Locks aren't designed to inhibit access. They are designed to combat accidental opening in your pocket. Once that is disengaged the knife will open easily. I would think a stiff spring on a slip joint would be safer.

Here's how I handled access to dangerous things with my daughter:

Infant to toddler, no access. My job was to keep dangerous things away from her. Knives in my pockets or out of reach in a stiff drawer/high shelf Firearms unloaded and locked away or kept in a biometric safe. Same thing as keeping locks on the cabinets and receptacles blocked with safety plugs.

When she got a little older around 3 or 4, I would talk to her about what I was using my knife to do. She would watch me cut open a new toy or use my multitool to repair a broken one. She knew that dad used them and she wasn't allowed. When she was 4 or 5, I would send her to go fetch me a multitool or pocket knife if I needed one in the middle of a project. She never tried to open them, but she liked getting stuff for her dad.

Knives have never been a taboo thing to hide from my kid. She has seen me carry and use one all of her life. She's 9 and a half now, and not at all interested in knives or firearms (but we do enjoy shooting slingshots together). However, if she ever wants to start using them, I'm more than happy to teach her. She just has never shown any interest in it at all. She's content to let me do the cutting;)

I've got a couple of slippies that I can barely open without breaking a nail lol.
Thing is that toddlers emulate what we do, that's how they figure things out.
The more they see you opening a particular knife the more apt they are to overcome any safety lock, especially on a modern folder.
Once that lock is released there is little to no resistance getting the blade to swing open.
Maybe get yourself a basket or something for pocket dumps and place it out of reach. Only takes a few times to get in the habit.
Good call.
If you ever wonder why you know how to do something that you don't remember ever being taught, you probably just watched your parents do it as a toddler.

A bowl or a high shelf or some other way if keeping it inaccessible is probably the best bet.
I know my niece's and nephews will go for anything they can get to.

I take all my knives in my pocket for the day directly to my room and safe every night when I get home from work. I do this because my two year old son once grabbed my Hinderer off the counter, he actually clipped it into his pocket, and ran off and I could not find where it went until he came up laughing at me and pointing to his pocket. Thank god he didn’t try to open it, even though I don’t think he could have anyways.

For a cheap knife with a lock that I can think immediately off the top of my head for light edc use I would suggest the Kershaw Leek, as has been mentioned.

Kershaw Leek has a slide lock. :thumbsup:

It does, but you have to remember to slide it close everytime you close the knife. Besides, it is an assisted knife with a needle thin tip, which could be much more dangerous if letf unlocked than any non-assited knife.

Anyway, to the OP. I don't own any guns, but I read a lot here about gun safety, procedures, teaching kids what to do / what not to do, etc. Knives are not different and, in a way, you should be carefull with where you leave them and who can grab them. Also, teaching your kids about knives and that they are sharp, is the best investment in safety you could get.

Right now I have a 5 year old daugther that is very veeeeeeeeeeeery familiar with knives. We live in an urban environment, so it is not that she had been arround a farm chopping chicken heads off for her whole life. BUT once she got curious about kitchen duty, cooking, etc. I introduced her to knives. She chops veggies, peels potatoes, dices fruits for her oatmeal, etc. She has cut herself a couple times (superficial) so she knows it hurts and is carefull. She sometimes asks me about my pockets knives (she is used to me always having one in the pocket) and I let her fondle them, always warning them that they are sharp. She doesn't pay much attention to them because it is not a novelty or something forbidden, even if they have bright colors.

Mikel

I would suggest the Kizer Feist, or perhaps any front flipper. I know guys who can't even figure out how to open it, and it can't be pinched open. I can't speak to other front flippers since this is my only one, but I imagine one with good detent would be hard for a child to open.

Another vote for WE Double Helix, but I thoroughly agree with Steely_Gunz on the subject matter. I have a toddler myself, and no amount of explaining or teaching is going to make much sense to him right now. Though I don't hide any of my toys from him intentionally, he was taught to stay away and not to touch them.

Get one of the old GEC elephant toe nails. Even you will struggle to open them! :D also get slippie opener for it.

Hey guys, awesome suggestions. Thanks a ton. With the toddler, I have 4 boys, so I know the drill. Obviously, I'd do my best with precautions, etc, to keep it out of the reach of the toddler. It's more of a last line of defense when trying to decide on the pros/cons of an EDC. Again, awesome job on all these options. This is a great forum.. I really appreciate it!

image.jpeg The CRKT Michael Walker Bladelock model locks open and shut. It has been out production for awhile, but pops up on the bay now and then.

Back