Newest forum member

Hi,everyone.I'd like to introduce myself as the newest member.Just recieved my first HI khukuri about 2 hours ago,and am still grinning.It's the 18 inch Sirupati by Sher,and it is nice,very nice indeed.I'm looking forward to getting out with it.Today was the perfect day for it to arrive;I'm a teacher,and I have all next week off for spring break.
A word about my handle. I came up with it because one of my main interests is watching owls,especially Barred Owls,and down here in the Deep South, that means thick woods.Way back in the 80's I got tired of lugging a machete around. At that time Atlanta Cutlery was only khuk source.That was the first step.
Here's the best part,though.When I handed my wife the Sirupati,she smiled and said "OOOH...",and that is a good sign.
I'm already thinking about my next one.First symptom of HIKV?

WoodOwl

You're way past the first stages, and a smiling "OOOOOooo" indicates a serious consideration of double orders - "Uncle, please Super Size that". Welcome to the Cantina, all. BTW, the barn owls here have already started talking at night. In a couple of weeks, they will make so much racket it will be hard to sleep with the window open :D

Originally posted by WoodOwl
Hi,everyone.I'd like to introduce myself as the newest member.Just recieved my first HI khukuri about 2 hours ago,and am still grinning.

First symptom of HIKV?

WoodOwl

Yep you're a goner. A Sirupati was my first, about 2 weeks ago. I got my second this week. The only bad thing for me is that I'm no longer as interested in other types of knives. All I can think about is Khuks. I'll order another one as soon as Uncle Bill stocks up. Off to the woods tomorrow with my new Chiruwa AK.

Enjoy the disease!

Steve Ferguson :D

Welcome to the Cantina WoodOwl
owl.gif

Welcome to the Cantina!!!!:)

I had a full page post get lost due to the server upgrade earlier about one of my favorite states, Mississippi and I ain't doin' it again, but it was about the Bowie River supposedly having some of the best Striped Bass Fishing Anywhere and the fact that my son's father in law owned several hundreds of acres some with live lakes on it and to me the most prime, The piece that had several hundreds of yards of frontage along the Bowie River with a Really, Really Nice Gravel Bar with beautiful eddy currents and just enough current to keep the water fresh and clear, that is if it hadn't rained upstream lately.:)
It was a beautiful place to set up a semi-permanent camp where you could leave a couple of 18"- 20" skillets along with some cornmeal and other goodies to cook the Bass, Catfish of course, after all We Are Talking Mississippi here.:)

On a side note we visited our local Vietnamese Supermarket again this evening in quest of some nice Guavas that they were s'poosed to get in today.
They didn't make it, but the nice sized very beautiful LIVE & Kicking Blue Crabs were only $2.50 a pound!!!!
I know we got 6 of them and Barbie may have slipped a couple of more in while I wasn't looking.:)
Supper tomorrow night along with some nice Crawfish that we got already "B'iled up."
Im liking this new diet even with the fluid restriction.:)

Let's see if I got this right...you live in OK and you have live blue crabs??:confused: People here in TN would bet that crabs (the eatin' kind of course) only come in red. Been away from Jersey too long!:(

Uh Oh- just heard El Nino may be coming back!

That's legit, CNN Headline News says it isn't yet for sure how badly. Still, fair warning that you might want to rent a houseboat soon, WoodOwl.

(Hmmm: wonder how long it would take all of us and our khuks to sculpt a dugout version of the ark from one a them Giant Redwoods?)

The story still tickles me how some forest service worker got the brilliant idea to cut down a bristlecone pine to see how old it was. This was around the Great Basin National Park over toward Ely, Nevada some years ago. They finally got the rings counted and found out they'd just killed the oldest living thing on earth. Them folks takin' care of our gubmint property for us is some smart, let me tell you!

BTW, welcome WoodOwl!!! Leastways long as God's willing and the creek don't rise ( cutting off your web services ).;)

Let us know how that 18" Sirupati works out. That khuk is next on my list...

Andrew Limsk

Thanks for the welcome,all.
It's raining here now,so i can't get out and chop something,but I did
slice some newspaper after using the chakma for a few strokes,had to cut something.So a full report will have to follow. Right now, I'm trying out strong-side versus crossdraw carry to see which suits both me and the knife best(my Martindale golok works best CD,while the Cold Steel ATC is a SS item.
Walosi,if those owls are saying "Who cooks for you,who cooks for you-all" and sounds like there's 2 dozen having a fight,it's probably just one pair doing a love duet.
Bill Paxton,I'll have to substitue my plainsman hat for the top hat;really enjoyed that owl,so did my better half.
Yvsa,just finished breakfast but your post made me hungry again,plus the river description brought back some nice memories.And there would be the local owls carrying on....
Thanks again,all.
WoodOwl

We're getting such a rash of newcomers on the forum I think I am missing some welcome posts so thanks, all, for making the new folks feel at home here in the Cantina.

Originally posted by bobrap
Let's see if I got this right...you live in OK and you have live blue crabs??:confused: People here in TN would bet that crabs (the eatin' kind of course) only come in red. Been away from Jersey too long!:(

Bob I'm sure the live blue crabs came in from the Gulf of Mexico.
It isn't really all that far down there.
There's one outfit that makes regular runs from the Gulf toteing fresh shrimp and oysters in season, as well as some other seafoods in the form of fish.
The Vietnamese Supermarket regulary gets in live crabs as well as some realy nice shrimp, some are in the 4-5 rateing in that it only takes 4-5 of them to make a pound.
A shrimp that size is more than a single bite even for an old skin like me.
And you haven't lived until you eat crawfish Southern Style which means you pinch their tails and suck the heads until the eyeballs collapse.:eek: :p

There's a trick to freezeing fish and shrimp so they don't lose their flavor.
You have to cover them completely with water and then freeze. The ice protects against flavor loss. Barb and me have kept shrimp this way for up to 9 months and it's just as tasty after nine months as it was when boiled right off the truck.

WoodOwl,
"Welcome"! Sigh, you are an educated man(unlike some of these.....)! I appeal to your intellect! There is NO hikv,it's a misconception,divised by a VERY divious person!Don't mistake PAXTON'S pic. for kindness(pic. was nice & normal)that man is more divious ,crafty & sneaky than most(he's out to get me for some unknown reason)!May I suggest getting a 16,or 18"WW2 next,then a BABY GRS,followed by a BAS,then a GS,THEN A ....oops,please excuse me,getting these,you will need help! By help I mean ,you will need someone to "Show you the way"!!Which one to keep,etc. Permit me to help!I can give an address,where they will be kept safe,while the research is being conducted!Whatever pic. THAT Paxton puts up,"Will NOT be me!By the way,you can trust me with your K's!
jim :D

To paraphrase a slogan "Give a hoot, but not to that old coot" :rolleyes: His cave (below the 12" waterline in Fla.) is not a safe place to send your blades, and his "research foundation" is made up mainly of new guys who sent Khuks to him for (KHAK!:barf: ) research. Otherwise, he is sometimes bearable :D

Welcome to the Cantina WoodOwl:) :)

Sounds like your off to a fine start with the 18" Sirupati. :D:cool:

Just out of curiousity, what does it weigh? other sppecs appreciated but not necessary:D

Rob

I'd guess about a pound and a half;it is significantly lighter than my pet Colt 1861 Navy,which is 2.5 pounds(and my benchmark for weight estimates). I used it on some invasive privets this morning and they had no chance.It moves very nicely and with its light weight is a carry all day with ease item. I had wanted a Sirupati,but was debating 18 vs.20 inch when the PGA came along and made the choice for me,and rightly.So far the only modification I may make is to tie the top of the sheath a little closer to the belt loop,as the handle does stick out a little.Already reaching for the karda for the little jobs.That burr Uncle mentioned in the PGA post is too microscopic to bother with.
Just realized; I just did my first research project(Sorry,Jim)

WoodOwl

Back