1/4" thick modified blade dogwood..with a pommel plate
machete/golok for testing
5/32" thick dogwood
Soldier river
Niangua river
bottom row
Soldier river
two salt creeks
1/4" thick dogwood, this one shouldn't exist. I screwed up and cut a regular pattern dogwood out when I was supposed to be cutting out the modified dogwood up top. So this one might be up on the site if I finish it this round.
There's only five for sure for order in this batch. I haven't heard back from the customer who wanted the niangua so it might be on the site when it's done , too. There was supposed to be another soldier river but I never heard back on it so I moved it off the orders list.
This has been a weird batch so far.
But I've got the z-sere generation one and two getting ready for handles.
The generation one will be on the site soon if testing on the generation two goes well.
5279319020_9eab9d4fc0_z.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Iz

Yes! About time mines coming together!

Lookin good Iz. 5 months of waiting should be well worth it.

Those look sweet. Cant wait till my name comes up on the list. I need to get something on paper of what I want.

Yea Iz... the chete is looking gooooooood...! And I think I'm going to order a salt creek. That little guy looks very useful.

Ski

Thanks, guys. I appreciate it.:thumbup:

Just got in from the shop and had dinner, trying to get this batch done before Friday...we'll see.
Iz

Got 'em ground today. Four heat treated.
5284670550_9ab7fe81f6_z.jpg

5284670600_a9e855e700_z.jpg

Got a little done on the z-seres , too.
5284073087_27828146fa_z.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Iz

Put teak burl or olive wood on a sandwich spacer set up on that Niangua river
if the order falls thru ;).

Thanks, guys I appreciate it.
I heard from the customer on the Niangua, they're good to go so it won't be up for grabs.
Iz

So I slacked on Friday...and I put in a little time the evening to kinda make up.:5:
I heat treated the next four in the batch so now there's only the golok/machete to heat treat Monday. Hope it goes well, thin 1095 with that long of a blade always scares me some.
5294653335_1c44273f69_z.jpg

So the z-sere generation 2 is done. I'm glad it wasn't for a customer because I screwed up the handle. As you can see I got overzealous and ground through the outer brown g10 into the green underneath. Oh well, it'll work for using.

Thanks for looking ,
Iz

So I heat treated the golok/machete (gonna have to name it, that's getting old) today. I coated it and went for a sloppy hammon, which I kind of like versus a nice neat squiglly line.
Anyway, this is what it looks like after tempering and hitting it with a 120 grit belt on the grinder.

5297938957_a0e40c51d8_z.jpg

5298537850_981300cb46_z.jpg

I'm actually thinking of leaving it just like this, only sanding up to 400 grit and leaving the hammon rough and scaly looking. As opposed to shining it all up and having a subtle hammon.
What do you guys think? Clean it up or leave it rough?
Iz

So I heat treated the golok/machete (gonna have to name it, that's getting old) today. I coated it and went for a sloppy hammon, which I kind of like versus a nice neat squiglly line.
Anyway, this is what it looks like after tempering and hitting it with a 120 grit belt on the grinder.

5297938957_a0e40c51d8_z.jpg

5298537850_981300cb46_z.jpg

I'm actually thinking of leaving it just like this, only sanding up to 400 grit and leaving the hammon rough and scaly looking. As opposed to shining it all up and having a subtle hammon.
Iz

It looks awesome, leave it rough !;)

(gonna have to name it, that's getting old)

I think you should call it 'The Daisy'. (You know.... like 'pretty as' or like the cutter. :D)

Iz

I think it depends on the handle. I would say leave it rough and wrap it and see if you like it. If not, unwrap and finish it.

Either way sir, the hammon is killer. Really well done.

-JP

Thanks, guys.
I've been convinced by you all and the guys on my other forum that rough is the way to go.
No wrap though, not my bag baby.;)
If I don't screw it up here's the handle I have planned. Black linen bolster with two brass pins. Thin black spacers, brown canvas micarta scales with 1/8" black pins. We'll see, that's a lot of opportunity for me to screw something up with all the different materials.
Iz

Next batch up to bat.

5355719229_2754c9dac8_z.jpg

A dogwood (not shown), a soldier river, a green river, a gasconade, a boone's branch, a one shot and two prototypes.
This one has quite a bit of variety in it.:thumbup:
Iz

Last edited:
Back