next contest prize teaser ---> AXD <---

I haven't decided on the contest format yet, since I'm trying to find a way to get more people to participate. However, Darrel has informed me of the next prize. It will be a custom (not an HTM) DDR AXD tanto Expendables knife, valued at $1100 bucks. Titanium frame lock, s30v blade, assisted opening.

2myysz7.jpg

Last edited:
Hot d***! That's GORGEOUS. Also glorious. I bet Bleed's gonna be drooling all over this one. I'm down for including the contest link in my sig.

For greatest participation, it seems it's gotta be something easy. People on here seem to be lazy.

Hot d***! That's GORGEOUS. Also glorious. I bet Bleed's gonna be drooling all over this one. I'm down for including the contest link in my sig.

For greatest participation, it seems it's gotta be something easy. People on here seem to be lazy.
Yea. The thing is though, when I set out to design these contests I didn't just want one of those "Post, I'm in. Your post number is your entry number." type contests. I mean these are not your regular contests. The cheapest knife we've given away is a Pinkerton necker (for first place that is), but even Dirk's stepping up with stuff like the Nichols Damascus necker in his last contest. There should be a little effort involved when you can win prizes that DDR et al. give away.

If we're giving away stickers and candy, sure, I'll do the post "I'm in" type contest.

Last edited:
There should be a little effort involved when you can win prizes that DDR et al. give away.

No disagreement here. I'm happy to put in the effort for the chance to win a DDR knife. Better odds for me anyways :D Just saying. People around here are lazy. I mean, seriously, the last contest was "take a picture of your knife." And how many entries were there?

No disagreement here. I'm happy to put in the effort for the chance to win a DDR knife. Better odds for me anyways :D Just saying. People around here are lazy. I mean, seriously, the last contest was "take a picture of your knife." And how many entries were there?

Yea, but it was also a take a pic of your DDR/HTM/DDR-licensed knife. I think that's what did it in the end. With the exception of the licensed knives (Meyerco and Fox come to mind, and I think Boker may also have some offerings), the other knives are out of many people's budgets. Really, there is only Meyerco over here on this side of the pond. I haven't seen Fox selling DDR licensed designs in the US. I don't believe I've seen Boker selling any here either. We may be knife knuts here, but I would hazard a guess that most folks on these forums don't own knives north of 200 dollars. They may own several knives totaling over 200 bucks, but not a single one that costs over 200 bucks. It's just that many of the guys that do own expensive knives are also part of the vocal crowd, so it may seem like we're the majority. But I am betting that we're in the minority here.

Darrel and I both learned the lesson. Can't be too restrictive in contest format.

EDIT: The AXD giveaway will also run longer than what has been the standard to date, which was 1 to 2 months. Duration hasn't been decided yet, but I may just put a disclaimer in the contest rules that I will have the authority to increase the duration of the contest as I see fit, if I deem that there haven't been enough entries.

EDIT 2: I also think one of the issues is that outside of being an enthusiast, most people haven't heard of DDR/HTM. The main goal of this forum here was always to generate more awareness to Darrel and Dirk's product lines. Running contest is just a minor thing in the grand scheme of things, but it was considered early on to be a means of generating interest, because it gives people a chance to own some of those knives when they might have never considered them in the first place for a number of reasons.

It's an interesting problem that we try to solve from many different angles, but we have to play by the forum rules. I do all I can while keeping an open mind. I don't always suggest DDR/HTM stuff. I only suggest them if I deem appropriate given the criteria a potential consumer might be looking for.

Last edited:
I cant think of a contest worthy of such a great prize.. last 5 min in a cage with a grizzly maybe???

I cant think of a contest worthy of such a great prize.. last 5 min in a cage with a grizzly maybe???

I'll think of something. It doesn't have to be hard, just engaging. I mean the premise of taking a knife pic is engaging. It was just badly executed with all the constraints.

Whatever it may be I'll put it in my sig next time round. No way anybody sould be allowed to miss out on this.

Yea, I'm actually gonna use that idea in the contest rules, but I'll let people decide on their own if they want to include a sig line or not. It will be greatly appreciated, but not mandatory.

Maybe a contest more along the lines of put up a picture of your favorite DDR knife (not neccessarily one you own).

-that way people research the brand and see what its all about, and get to see the amazing looking knives that have been put out.

BTW That knife is amazing and beyond generous. What a fantastic giveaway, whatever you decide. And if it is the bear cage thing, I want to put my name on that list:)

Last edited:
It sure is interesting to me how many people haven't heard of DDR. Darrel Ralph was one of the first names in the knifemaking world that I ever heard, and one of the main reasons I got into better quality knives. Might be all the glossy ads on the back of all the knife rags. For that matter, I got my Gun Hammer, then got to handle a CRK Sebenza at a show a few months later, and felt no inclination to ever buy a Sebenza. I suppose if Darrel did a collaboration with Benchmade and made a version with an AXIS lock I'd pretty much have to get one. But outside of that, it's the perfect folder.

Sebenzas are great. They are just not for me. I handled them and they are definitely quality pieces, but I nitpick on everything. If I'm spending a few hundred bucks on a knife or anything for that matter, I will go through everything with a fine tooth comb. That's why I like the custom build I commissioned back in early 2011. I have control over the outcome.

Alright, so I have Spark's blessing to post in the general forum once I have every detail pinned down. The general forum will just be for discussion purposes. I will have a redirect link to the actual contest thread which will be posted here on the DDR boards. That should give a little more exposure to our little corner. Now, I just need to think of the actual contest part.

It sure is interesting to me how many people haven't heard of DDR. Darrel Ralph was one of the first names in the knifemaking world that I ever heard, and one of the main reasons I got into better quality knives. Might be all the glossy ads on the back of all the knife rags. For that matter, I got my Gun Hammer, then got to handle a CRK Sebenza at a show a few months later, and felt no inclination to ever buy a Sebenza. I suppose if Darrel did a collaboration with Benchmade and made a version with an AXIS lock I'd pretty much have to get one. But outside of that, it's the perfect folder.

Same here. The second I saw a Maxx I knew it was meant to be. The Meyerco Maxx-Q I've got spurred me to look up Mr. Ralph and I was immediately blow away by all of his stuff. I remember getting to hold a friends sebenza and thinking "Wow! A gunhammer is $200 or so less!".

Whatever the contest is I'm in. That knife is absolutely gorgeous. And since it was brought up tangentially, I'd love to see DDR collaborate with Benchmade, Spyderco or ZT. Honestly, I think a DDR/ZT would be a perfect fit. The extensive 3D machining, bearing pivots and amazing flippers.

That is one of the nicest knives I have ever seen in a giveaway contest. It will definitely generate interest and brand awareness.
I know I will be taking a stab at the contest if that blade is the "carrot on the stick".
Looking forward to this one. I liked the last photo contest, just wish I had known we could better our pic as more were added. Who knows what photo ideas would have been posted.

Back