Next Project... a take down.

I haven't really decided what I want to make yet, but I have decided I want it to be a take down. In part this was inspired by Patrice's latest, but mostly it was inspired by building a grinder. I've become enamored with using the tap and die set, so I want to do it again on this project.

To start with I have an 11" piece of 1084 that has a built in hamon ;)

DSCN6721.JPG

I'll do some drawing tonight and post what I think looks good this weekend.

- Greg

Last edited:
Heh i've been really wanting to try one too. Lets come up with a design and make 2 versions of the same knife! LOL

I'm game... but most people don't like my designs. ;) Or at least they have no interest working on them.

- Greg

I'm game... but most people don't like my designs. ;) Or at least they have no interest working on them.

- Greg
If you really want I'm game also. I make knives cause I enjoy the challenge. Hell every now and then one of them is nice enough to give or sell too! lol. I enjoyed awhile back when Lorein did a pay-it-forward with 3 of his designs and seeing different ways people did his design.

Here's my first take on the blade profile. I've selected this one over a couple of much less conventional shapes (that I'll eventually get around to attempting). :) I haven't drawn the handle or guard, yet, but you should expect them to be similarly simple designs.

scan0001.jpg

Very cool project, Greg.

I'm busy with a fighter that I now wish I had made a takedown. It isn't glued together yet, so I guess I could still change it. Other problem is that the blade is stainless, so I'm not sure how I'm going to weld the screw end to it.

I remeber seeing someone cut a slot smaller then a threaded rod and ghammering it in or something.

Yeah, I remember reading about that. Would be an option if the steel wasn't already at 61 RHC!

You can still weld to SS. Just keep in mind that you need to keep the blade cool, and that the area welded will probably air harden as it cools. Maybe wrap the blade in a wet towel.

Gonna finish up a project today then get some paper out and come up with some ideas for that blade design of yours.

Today I used my new grinder on the new bench to get this blade profiled. I gotta say, I LOVE how the new bench brings the work close enough for me to see. I was able to control the bandsaw batter, and the grinding is all right where I can watch now. I was even able to rough in the choil with the grinder.

TakeDown2.JPG

I just spent the last hour at the grinder, and I must say, I have no skills with a grinder. Good thing I decided not to use damascus yet. Anyway, I've cut the plunge midway up what I suppose is the choil (even though it won't serve the purpose of a choil. Not ready to post another pic yet. I want to see if it is possible to clean up the mess I've made of the bevels. ;)

Don't worry about it greg... i still file in my plunges and i've been using a grinder for a while. Why do you think I never post photos between the profiled blade and the first stage of hand-sanding? :D

Back