Next trending blade shape

In Europe various makers are bringing out small modern non locking slip joint knives. Fox knives even made a non locking version of the Suru
fox-fx-526uk-bbldet7.jpg

some things are better left forgotten, honestly...
now I need to somehow re-forget that existed, thx :/

What about this little ditty from the early 90's.Heard this one enough as a kid to make me puke:confused:

Last edited:
And that has to do with the next trending blade shape how exactly? o_O
I have been posting on the topic of this forum.Pound your politically correct fist on someone else's podium if you have a problem with someone bringing a little humor to the table.

Here's some seriousness...

I feel some of what the original poster is saying as someone who likes a lot of the 90's and early 2000's era of knives and I've probably hoarded more modern folders in clip-point form.Butch Vallotton's modernized clip-point for the Chameleon and his contributions for Timberline was awesome.Pat Crawford' recurved and deeply swedged clip-point on his Carnivore models were nice.Buck's Taclite Series was a spear-point but so darn sleek,deeply swedged...and spike-like..smoothly graduating sweep.Mike Irie's spear point he did for the Mercworx folders were gorgeous but too thick of a grind...not good for fine cutting.The Taclite could easily get the attention of a clip-point fan.Heck even the clip-point on the BladeLOCK Series that Michael Walker did looked pretty good and very functional.

What do we have today?
Leaf shapes and pure straight edge/cleaver designs.I get this sheepsfoot blade shape as an additional blade in a stockman.At that point for a 1-bladed knife you might as well snap a third of the 110's blade tip off and call it a cleaver.Why not just carry a box cutter at this point.If I'm pull cutting a piece of rope? a constant graduating sweep from a leaf-shape I feel a lot of sliding movement and becoming 'poke prone' from sliding right off the edge.

I feel these bland blades are being favored because people have become obsessed with materials and steel grade. The actual blade shape is wwwaaayyy down there on what the importance factor list (which is backwards to me) and "FEELING SEXY" is what's all about to them.There's the great reason for the music video...flows right into the subject.

Last edited:
I dunno, but perhaps i have seen the span of trends turn knives from western inspired work tools to defensive objects if not something entirely outlandish in form and function.
The basic geomatry of a good cutting implement can hardly be altered that much if it is to be of any use for the pleasure of cutting.
But more than anything current "situational climates" have made it necessary for lengths to comply with the times.
So i figure stubby is the way forward for many in mass production edcs :)

Back