Next trending blade shape

I think thick and overbuilt has been a trend for a while, so I'd like to see thin and slicy make a comeback. Especially on mid level knives

Plenty of thin knives out there, from SAKs to Spyderco Police. While I enjoy the slicing power of thin blades (on relatively soft materials), there is the legit concern that thin blades would break more easily, especially if the manufacturer does not offer blade replacement on a small fee.

OP, I agree with ya on the current prevalence of wharncliffe and sheepsfoot style blades in modern folders. I love it personally, since a wharncliffe is one of my favorites, both aesthetically and in use. Maybe we're seeing influence from the growing popularity of traditional patterns in other genres?

In that same vein...
Next "trending" could be anything. "Nightmare grind reverse tantos" if enough silly folks think they are sexy (like the cleaver things).
That hits a little too close to home Marcinek! I think the reverse tanto is cool AF :cool: I think you are spot on though and that is surely one of the more "trendy" styles lately. They're even making traditionals with such abominations now :eek: :/S

Before you posted your follow up those read as the same person and if you search for dirtvictim you find a post where someone says that airman007 is dirtvictim but nothing is really commented on in that. If you look dirtvictim vanished in May of 2018 and airman007 joined in Dec of 2018.

I'll have to check that out! I am going on the assumption that it is just an example of "great minds think alike"! :)

Lambsfoot is a great pattern for us townies..

Give us more of them in slippies and great steels! :cool::thumbsup:

I'm lovin the blade shape of the Kershaw :cool::thumbsup: It's got a nice wharncliffe shape with that recurve. Looks very useful.

Pretty much every knife in Red Dead Redemption 2 is a clip point so I'm sure they'll gain some ground with the younger generation...Don't ask me how I know....

Ready 0 007Airman ?

dirtvictim's Hattori?!?! He's got AIRMAN 007 etched into the handle!

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/why-do-i-hate-cold-steel.1553526/page-14#post-18076638

Well my mind is blown. It's like you two are the same guy. Crazy, small world right!?!

While I find this all interesting it really has nothing to do with me. I imagine out of the 6 billion people on the planet there may be a few with similar interests and I am sure that many are thinking the same things at pretty much the same time. Who know why things pop into our heads but they do and then we either act on them or we don't.
Perhaps subliminally I picked up on 007airman off the net when I picked the name and who doesn't like ichiro hattori? In any case I wouldn't have the time to read up on this dirtdevil guy as I am usually busy but if you have the spare time then hopefully it's a entertaining for you.
Anyway as mods have stated we shouldn't be talking about other members and should focus on the OP's post so that is what I will do, I do prefer not to engage in discussions about anyone I know nothing of.
Good man talk though.

Semantics perhaps, but I think “trend” describes something that builds over time and has staying power. What I see is a lot of flash in the pans, something that makers will put out to stand out from the crowd or capitalize on the latest fad. Nothing wrong with that. Fads come and go quickly, but one that lasts becomes a trend. One solid trend imo are wharncliffs. An extended, pointier version of the venerable sheepsfoot, what’s not to like? It takes argueably the most useful blade of the traditional stockman and mainstreams it. It’s popularity doesn’t surprise me a bit, seems a no brainer actually.

Semantics perhaps, but I think “trend” describes something that builds over time and has staying power. What I see is a lot of flash in the pans, something that makers will put out to stand out from the crowd or capitalize on the latest fad. Nothing wrong with that. Fads come and go quickly, but one that lasts becomes a trend. One solid trend imo are wharncliffs. An extended, pointier version of the venerable sheepsfoot, what’s not to like? It takes argueably the most useful blade of the traditional stockman and mainstreams it. It’s popularity doesn’t surprise me a bit, seems a no brainer actually.
I agree a sheepsfoot or wharncliffe is a No Brainer. I personally haven't found a task yet that sheepsfoot, wharncliffe, or Tanto could't tackle but have had drop points and recurves fail to perform on those same tasks. Although some may not find those blade shapes as sexy as a clip point or scimitar the form and function of a sheepsfoot or wharrie has been time tested and IMO match or excel in cutting performance aside from skinning and dressing an animal but i'm sure someone on this board has done or witnessed that too. That's my two cents :D

I don't pay too much attention to the newest silly trends .

I'm all about those old and proven, purely practical / functional styles : Tanto , karambit , full serrated hawk recurve , Talwar , Vaquero etc :rolleyes::thumbsup::thumbsup:

A complete stab in the dark guess would be the spear point. The recent popularity of the Massdrop Laconico Keen might be noticeable to other makers. It’s also as functional as a drop point, especially with a full flat grind.

Despite their popularity, I never understood the functionality of a clip point.

Back