Nice Fighting Knife Gift

I need help / opinions guys!

If you were to give a student of knife fighting a gift knife, which would you give and why?

I'm thinking between $100-$300 or so?

My first thoughts were the Gerber MK 2's, Spyderco Street Bowies, Al Mar Shiva (a little pricey though), Cold Steel Tai Pan, or a Boker Applegate... I'm not really sure what to go with, they all seem awesome!

Any of those sound like they'll provide year of service or any of them suck? Any thoughts are appreciated! Thanks!

man I'd never knife fight, nearly everywhere you punch it there is a sharp edge, there's no beating that!

in all seriousness there are many different schools of thought on knife fighting. Some train with big, fast bowies, some with small punch daggers and everything between.

fighting knives can be made for very specific grips and techniques, some are much more general. if you know anything more about his training that could help a lot.

I guess the big question I have is what type of knife fighting is the student involved in? Some folks prefer karambits some bowies others daggers.

I need help / opinions guys!

If you were to give a student of knife fighting a gift knife, which would you give and why?

I'm thinking between $100-$300 or so?

My first thoughts were the Gerber MK 2's, Spyderco Street Bowies, Al Mar Shiva (a little pricey though), Cold Steel Tai Pan, or a Boker Applegate... I'm not really sure what to go with, they all seem awesome!

Any of those sound like they'll provide year of service or any of them suck? Any thoughts are appreciated! Thanks!

The knife you give should be designed for the style(s) of knife fighting that is being studied. If it isn't, you run a very high chance of it being relatively useless. Once you know the style, then you can make your gift choice.

Regarding "service" (warranty, right?), many companies provide warranties, but what kind of servicing are you expecting? You're not expecting anybody going toe-to-toe with real blades are you?

I am not a knife fighter, but the little I know about it says go with a fixed blade karambit. There are many out there that are ridiculous circus pieces, all spiked and evil looking, and I would not waste my money on them. Emerson fixed blades are about impossible to find but they are good ones. 511 makes one as well as a folder that was designed by Steve Tarani. Spyderco is coming out with a waved karambit this year.

Google Steve Tarani and you will see my idea of a knife fighter.

man I'd never knife fight, nearly everywhere you punch it there is a sharp edge, there's no beating that!

in all seriousness there are many different schools of thought on knife fighting. Some train with big, fast bowies, some with small punch daggers and everything between.

fighting knives can be made for very specific grips and techniques, some are much more general. if you know anything more about his training that could help a lot.

I guess the big question I have is what type of knife fighting is the student involved in? Some folks prefer karambits some bowies others daggers.

All I know is that he studies Korean Martial Arts. Hwa Rang Do and Tae Kwon Do. I know he likes daggers...

Spyderco Warrior awwww yeah

LOL! That is a pretty cool knife, but I just don't see that as anything other than sitting on a mantle. :(

Last edited:
The knife you give should be designed for the style(s) of knife fighting that is being studied. If it isn't, you run a very high chance of it being relatively useless. Once you know the style, then you can make your gift choice.

Regarding "service" (warranty, right?), many companies provide warranties, but what kind of servicing are you expecting? You're not expecting anybody going toe-to-toe with real blades are you?

LOL! No, I would hope it would never have to be used. I was just meaning that it would stand up to age and use in carry and practice maybe. I know he does Korean Martial arts. That's all I know about the style of knife fighting.

I am not a knife fighter, but the little I know about it says go with a fixed blade karambit. There are many out there that are ridiculous circus pieces, all spiked and evil looking, and I would not waste my money on them. Emerson fixed blades are about impossible to find but they are good ones. 511 makes one as well as a folder that was designed by Steve Tarani. Spyderco is coming out with a waved karambit this year.

Google Steve Tarani and you will see my idea of a knife fighter.

We've talked about Karambits before and he prefers the dagger style.

being trained int the hand to hand combat with and without a weapon, personally get him something else, unless you know the exact weight and size of the blade he trained with anything you purchase will not help his training.
Ya its all about the fundamentals, but if you train with a hefty becker then carry a mora, there is a huge muscle memory factor problem, been there done that. if you are dead set on getting him one, either a Classic Kabar USMC combat or a Shockknife; they are crazy fun to train with
will post a vid in a minute

this is a serious amateur hour training demonstration for it, but it shows what a shock knife is
jump about a 1:50 into it to see what im talking about
[video=youtube;iw4ft1L5a3U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=iw4ft1L5a3U#t=98s[/video]

If he likes daggers, then try to find a nice dagger in your price range. Pretty much all daggers are fighting knives, so...

I've always been interested in the Boker Applegate-Fairbairn 5.5, but it's near the top of your price range.

applegate_boker_4.jpg

the applegate designs by almost any company is excellent. Plus one on this, careful with your laws though if he intends to carry his knife

Just curious, whats does he use to train with; sticks, foam cut outs, rubber or metals knives???

All I know is that he studies Korean Martial Arts. Hwa Rang Do and Tae Kwon Do. I know he likes daggers...

LOL! That is a pretty cool knife, but I just don't see that as anything other than sitting on a mantle. :(

The warrior actually was born from Hwa Rang Do by way of Bob Taylor, Randy Wanner and Michael Echanis according to book tha accompanies the Spyderco Warrior.

You could also gift a knife that has an accompanying trainer like a spyderco P'kal or Endura and give him a set.

this is a serious amateur hour training demonstration for it, but it shows what a shock knife is
jump about a 1:50 into it to see what im talking about
[video=youtube;iw4ft1L5a3U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=iw4ft1L5a3U#t=98s[/video]

Those shock knife made me laugh out loud when he turned them on. Dude, I think I'd pee a little if I walked into a knife fighting class and the instructor handed us those... LOL!

If he likes daggers, then try to find a nice dagger in your price range. Pretty much all daggers are fighting knives, so...

I've always been interested in the Boker Applegate-Fairbairn 5.5, but it's near the top of your price range.

applegate_boker_4.jpg

Dude, wow, I totally forgot about the 5.5 - That thing is AMAZING!

Wow. Shock knives. Yes.

Or a nice looking dagger. As much as I hate their folders, I actually like the SOG daggers a lot. Cold Steel also makes good knives, they're nothing fancy for the most part but should hold up to training and use.

Those shock knife made me laugh out loud when he turned them on. Dude, I think I'd pee a little if I walked into a knife fighting class and the instructor handed us those... LOL!!

Have you ever been hit by on of these miserable SOBs???
Well, i have & Its about the same thing, only in a knife haha

images

a friend reading this just gave a decent suggestion. get him a gun, then he wont have to fight with a knife haha

he also suggested a fixed karambit, if he uses on while in practice

Back