Nimbus vs. Vox Core vs. Manly Peak vs. ?

Hello Knife Nuts,

For the first time in a very long time, I'm going to buy an "other-than-Spyderco" folding knife. I like blade "hole" opening designs, a lot. I'm not a huge flipper guy, but I also don't have a lot of time with them and if I have multiple options on one knife, so much the better.

I also really, really like wire clips. Not a deal breaker, but something I do take strong note of.

Steel type isn't a big deal to me. I have a strong bias for stainless but I don't get overly worked up about VG10 vs. S90V, etc. I actually lean toward the so-called "softer" steels just for edge maintenance reasons and toughness is much more important to me than edge retention. But again, not a huge issue.

I like slicers and am a thin blade kinda guy. But, again, that is not wholly exclusive. I don't hard use my knives too much any more and generally attack rogue apples, box insurgents, and the like.

The Spyderco Manix 2 LW and Dragonfly 2 are probably my most used knives the last couple years.

And I tend to be a function over form guy.

So, with that in mind I'm very interested in the Giant Mouse Nimbus, the Fox Vox Core and the Manly Peak. Admittedly, there are things about each that violate things I just said, but for various reasons, I'm digging these three offerings. The Vox Core might be too thick for me to ignore but there's also a lot to like there.

I freaking love the 110-esque style of the Manly Peak but man that Nimbus is talking to me pretty hard as well.

Or maybe there's something I haven't considered. I'm not going over $200.

So, I just thought it might make for some fun conversation and I can learn and gleam things from all of your thoughts and experiences. I know these type threads are highly subjective so I'm just looking to see what thoughts it sparks.

Thanks in advance. :)

I haven't used any of them, but if it was up to me I'd get the nimbus.

I'd pick the Manly Peak. I wouldnt touch a Viper (great looking knives but lack in other area's). And I'm not interested in the vox design.

I'd pick the Manly Peak. I wouldnt touch a Viper (great looking knives but lack in other area's). And I'm not interested in the vox design.

Howdy,

I didn't have a Viper in the lineup. Was that just a general statement or am I missing something?

Howdy,

I didn't have a Viper in the lineup. Was that just a general statement or am I missing something?
Giant Mouse knives are made in Italy by a company by the name Viper. They have some fairly poor quality control. Not to mention they usually have another model just like it for far cheaper than the GM which are for collectors.

Giant Mouse knives are made in Italy by a company by the name Viper. They have some fairly poor quality control. Not to mention they usually have another model just like it for far cheaper than the GM which are for collectors.

Now that you say that I do remember reading here that Viper made them. Thank you.

I'd get the Nimbus, personally. It hits a lot of the design notes that you like and the design seems very functional, while still being very attractive. To be perfectly honest, I think complaints about Viper's QC are very likely entirely overblown. I've owned half a dozen and the levels of fit and finish on them has easily exceeded the standard on Spyderco, Benchmade and Kershaw.

Based on your comment "I like slicers " the Peak would be the best choice.

The Peak has been at the top of the list for some time now. It has a lot I love going for it, including a back lock. The only reason I've held off is it is so close in design concept to pretty much all the knives I prefer to carry and use that I thought maybe I should try something quite a bit different. Just for kicks. But knives over a hundred bucks start getting to be harder for me to buy just for kicks. :)

I'd get the Nimbus, personally. It hits a lot of the design notes that you like and the design seems very functional, while still being very attractive. To be perfectly honest, I think complaints about Viper's QC are very likely entirely overblown. I've owned half a dozen and the levels of fit and finish on them has easily exceeded the standard on Spyderco, Benchmade and Kershaw.

Thank you. It certainly gives me something to spend some time researching. Like you said, the Nimbus has a lot of design features I like but yet it is different enough to my norm that it is also exciting. Sorta, playing the field if you will. :p

Thank you. It certainly gives me something to spend some time researching. Like you said, the Nimbus has a lot of design features I like but yet it is different enough to my norm that it is also exciting. Sorta, playing the field if you will. :p

Do you like the GiantMouse ACE Biblio? I like it a bit better than the Nimbus and have been dying to try one.

Viper makes great knives. My Steel Will Gekko is the best built/finished knife I own.

But for the $$$, the Peak is a great knife and available in S90V. I love mine.

Tough decision, but I would go with the Peak.

Do you like the GiantMouse ACE Biblio? I like it a bit better than the Nimbus and have been dying to try one.

I do indeed but, I'm really trying to get away from forward finger choils for a while. Spyderco almost insists on using them, and I understand why, but I find I rarely actually need one for actual cutting.

The Nimbus is an excellent choice and a great value especially if you find one on the secondary market. It is a pretty stout knife but certainly sized well for EDC if that is the intended use. As far as Viper QC I’ve owned a couple and I haven’t seen any issues.

peak is an impressive knife, but I've only seen it in s90v and d2. both not close to "softer" steels as you mentioned you like.

dont own any of the other 2. cant comment on them.

peak is an impressive knife, but I've only seen it in s90v and d2. both not close to "softer" steels as you mentioned you like.

dont own any of the other 2. cant comment on them.

Surely not against the "higher end" steels. I have S90V but no D2. I have the gear to keep those sharp, just have a bias to the easier stuff. :)

I have an S90V Manly Peak. Beautiful knife. You wont be disappointed. Nice and light too. Perfect slicer.
Happy hunting!

Back