No more Emerson Back Spacer?

I have a question. I just received my Emerson CQC-7 AW in the mail. It has no back spacer, instead it has screw spacers. I contacted the company I purchased it from and they told me Emerson CQC-7s are not being made with back spacers anymore. Can anybody direct me to some information on this?

Tis true. Most models are being switched to standoffs instead of the back spacer.

The new threaded standoff's represent a structural improvement that also facilitates simpler, more effective parts replacement down the road. There are plenty of pimpers around that are more than capable of making a backspacer that encircles the standoff's if that matters to you.

Many models in their lineup that have/had spacers were updated with standoffs in place of the spacers. I believe this started with 2014 models...they're a much stronger setup IMHO then the whatever material was used in their spacers. I know that the spacers were not G10, but I'm not sure if they're Zytel or some other composite. The nice thing is you can customize your Emerson with larger colored standoffs to give it a bit of flash. See here for one of our members who does custom titanium standoffs...http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...for-Emerson-ZT-Spyderco-Kershaw-and-Benchmade

Many models in their lineup that have/had spacers were updated with standoffs in place of the spacers. I believe this started with 2014 models...they're a much stronger setup IMHO then the whatever material was used in their spacers. I know that the spacers were not G10, but I'm not sure if they're Zytel or some other composite. The nice thing is you can customize your Emerson with larger colored standoffs to give it a bit of flash. See here for one of our members who does custom titanium standoffs...http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...for-Emerson-ZT-Spyderco-Kershaw-and-Benchmade

Wow I just checked those spacers out. They are awesome..

I have owned backspacer models over the years where the backspacer is G10 or some sort of FRN or glass reinforced nylon/plastic. A example would be that my 2006 HD-7 is a molded plastic FRN type but most of what I have owned was G10.

If you really want an Emerson rear-spacer, hit up a BF pimper.
rolf

Many models in their lineup that have/had spacers were updated with standoffs in place of the spacers. I believe this started with 2014 models.

It actually started around 2012, but some models are still made with back spacers as the standard configuration. The Jungle Commander and Desert Roadhouse models are only made with backs spacers.

My 2013 CQC-7B and CQC-7BW both had a solid backspacer. My 2014 Mini-Commander has standoffs. I didn't know Gnoleb made custom standoffs for Emersons... gonna have to look into those. :)

I think the changeover started in late 2012 or early 2013, but it didn't affect all models. Some recent examples:

2013 CQC-7A - G10 backspacer

2014 Traveler - G10 backspacer

2014 ETAK - standoffs

I prefer the G10 backspacer! The standoffs seem to make for a lighter knife, though....

I'm waiting to trade a Mini CQC-7 with spacer for one with the standoffs as soon as one comes up for trade.

My last Emerson purchases:

2014 A-100 - Back spacer.
2014 Mini A-100 - Stand-offs.

I also prefer the stand-offs.

A distinction without a difference from a functionality standpoint. I've been carrying and using backspacer Emersons for years and years and never really paid them any nevermind until stand-offs came on the scene. Stand-offs do look cool, offer a minimally lighter package and are somewhat easier to flush out. That said, other than style (which is not without merit) I see it as six of one and a half-dozen of the other - a solution to a non-existent problem.

Now, if they only started making chisel grinds that were better suited for us right handed folk. :rolleyes:

The standoffs do make it easier to flush out the knife with a hose if a lot of dirt, blood or pocket lint get lodges in the handle.

Back