1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Off Topic No such thing as a bad/ "evil" knife , if it works !

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by DocJD, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Peter Hartwig

Peter Hartwig Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2008
    You can be a jerk with a SAK or like this guy-a good guy with a knife on the other extreme end of choices. In this case the knife fit the task well. Seat belts are pretty tough . You can choose almost(there may be an exception not coming to mind) any knife and be a good member of the knife society(for better term), or you can be a jerk with almost any knife. IMO this guy showed the world it isn't the knife but the person behind it. He helped the knife community rather than hurt it.
    There always have been and will be extremes in choices and those that want something different or have different needs.
    We're not going to all carry SAK's and even their very presence can alarm some. Carry what you like, but be aware of it's possible effect on others when using.
    If I did carry a karambit(which I doubt I ever would), I would pair it with something more practical and less showy. For many tasks that knife is useless and it certainly will draw attention. I would do the same with a Hinderer XM-24
    My local news station has run the clip multiple times, but never shown the knife

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    BenchCo Spydermade and DocJD like this.
  2. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    I agree with your assertion on the karambit knife. It just is. I can think of few reasons to carry one other than as a weapon or simply because it's "cool". Still a weapon, cool or not.

3. James Y

James Y

Feb 18, 1999
    I agree with the first part, but I think that even if a sword was used to kill for what we may consider just causes, it could still become "tainted" with negative energies. Especially considering the violence/trauma around it. I'm not saying it definitely would, but that it certainly could.

Jim

David Mary likes this.
  4. T.L.E. Sharp

T.L.E. Sharp I support the 3rd amendment! Platinum Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Given the bladeshape of a karambit though, it's probably better at cutting seatbelts than an SAK would be.

I agree that it's weapon first; karambits were designed specifically for combat. Arguing the contrary would be like arguing that a trench trench knife is good for edc.

In the specific context of cutting a seatbelt though, that weapon if his was probably better suited to the task than most "tool" knives would've been. I've always liked a mild recurve for that reason. They just bite into material better.

5. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    And don't get me wrong, I carry and use a hawk bill at times. They are purpose driven tools though, not an edc.

6. craytab

Jan 26, 2012
    Better at cutting a seatbelt for sure, I'd worry about cutting into what the seatbelt is holding, I'm no ninja though.

For an edc tool that can function as an emergency rescue tool, I prefer a Pacific salt or a rescue hook from benchmade (of which I have a few).
    [​IMG]

7. jackknife

jackknife

Oct 2, 2004
    I heard of an evil Case peanut once.

Theres a legend in the Cult Of The Peanut, about a peanut that cut a worker badly on the final polishing stage at the Case factory. It was cleaned off and shipped to an unknowing customer. The knife kept on cutting each owner it was passed on to, until it was tracked down by the Cult Of The Peanut. Under orders from the Grand High Muckba of the peanut cult, it was wrapped in Reynolds aluminum foil and sealed in a special blessed ammo can, only to be taken out at special ceremonies held at the full moon to initiate trusted cult members into the inner circle.

But after it bit the Grand High Muckba, it was cast in to the sea on a moonless night off shore to be gone forever from the sight of man.:eek:

Come on people! It's a hunk of metal. Some iron, some nickel, some chromium, some vanadium. It came out of a factory with a zillion others. Just like a handgun, a ball peen hammer, screw driver or baseball bat. Save the hoodoo tales for halloween night. An inanimate object is jus that, a lifeless hunk of material. That Japanese fairy tales are the stuff they tell little kids. I know the Japanese where a little more nuts over their swords than most folks, but in the end it's just a hunk of steel. And even they lost a good deal of value when Commodore Perry sailed into Tokyo bay with modern warships and firearms in 1854.

Next y'll will sayin how Wyatt Earp's revolver killed people by just being points in that direction. :rolleyes:

stabman, JPD1998, paulhilborn and 3 others like this.
  8. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    I no longer scoff at things supernatural . Used to be totally rational reductionistic / scientific and prided myself that I had risen above all ignorant "superstitious" believe . :rolleyes:

But life experience intruded upon my rational world view . I've personally experienced way too many weird and inexplicable phenomena to any longer deny the "impossible" . (cue spooky music ) o_O

9. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    ;) This is not an evil karambit weapon . It is a perfectly innocent tool . It did however bite off a tiny bit of my finger for not showing the proper resect . You can see the professional grade wound bandaging . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

[​IMG]

onionfan and David Mary like this.
  10. 22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    Weeks after my Mother died, I was standing in the bathroom at work looking in the mirror and I saw my Mother standing behind me in the reflection. Explain that. Spooky stuff happens. So, why can't a sword or knife seek blood?

TenShun705 and DocJD like this.
  11. craytab

Jan 26, 2012
    I've got one as well (an original though). Not something I'd want to cut a squirming kid out of a seatbelt with. But guess you got to do what you have to do ! Imagine if the guy had accidentally ripped that kid open with his weapon ?

DocJD likes this.
  12. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015

I call BS. A professional would use duct tape.

David Mary, jackknife and DocJD like this.
  13. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015

“There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.”

David Mary and DocJD like this.
  14. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    Yeah . I'm very glad it apparently worked OK but it wouldn't have been my first choice of a rescue / belt cutter .

But he used what he had , did it very well ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I do use an old junky karambit to open packages and it works great , but they don't normally squirm and thrash around . ;)

craytab and David Mary like this.
  15. James Y

James Y

Feb 18, 1999
    Same here. I knew when I posted that, that it would be open to ridicule. I've had things occur on enough occasions throughout my life, over the past 50+ years, including a couple different incidents where other, skeptical persons were present who were "freaked out" by it. They happen infrequently, and they never happen expectedly or "on cue."

Now, have I actually seen a "cursed/haunted" sword or knife? Nope. Well, unless you count the old Randall knife owned by a Vietnam vet who told me the fellow soldier he obtained it from had killed a VC soldier with it, and he said the knife had an unexplainable "spooky energy" about it. I knew the current owner, and he wasn't trying to pull my leg, either. I saw and even handled the knife once, and didn't notice anything special or creepy about it. But that doesn't mean that I entirely discount what he said, because he only showed it to me the one time. So the concept of certain inanimate objects with negative energy attached to them is not limited to "Japanese fairy tales."

And the idea is not limited to weapons. For example, I wouldn't recommend taking any rocks or soil as 'souvenirs' from Hawaii's Volcanoes National Park. If you choose to do so, good luck. I've heard the same about some other sites right here in N. America.

Jim

DocJD likes this.
  16. 22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    Seed.... not in my back yard. :D

James Y likes this.
  17. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    :) My approach to all these unexplainable happenings always starts with deep skepticism / cynicism , especially if someone is selling / making a profit or gaining anything . There are so many cons and our own hopes and fears can alter our perceptions .

But ,I could tell many , MANY stories of incidents that simply were beyond rational explanation . It would be dishonest to deny that .

But this is not the time or place for my testimonials of the weird , because none were directly knife related . ;)

TenShun705 and James Y like this.
  18. JParanee

JParanee Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 2006

Sounds crazy but ya never know :)

James Y and DocJD like this.
  19. David Mary

David Mary KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 23, 2015
    All these "inexplicable" phenomena fit perfectly with what I believe as a Catholic. There is God, He made angels, some fell by their own free will to rebel. He made us to take the places of those that fell, and he allows a period of time in which we can choose good or evil so that we can merit by striving for good. And the angels that fell - devils. And allowed to try to influence and deceive the world for a time so that we can overcome adversity, and elevate ourselves, by His grace, to a status higher than that in which we were originally constituted. They ultimately have no power, though, except that which we give them by sin.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  20. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    :) I'm not offended . But some others on this forum will possibly dump on you for religious talk . Be warned . ;)

David Mary likes this.