1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Off Topic No such thing as a bad/ "evil" knife , if it works !

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by DocJD, Jun 30, 2019.

1. David Mary

David Mary KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 23, 2015
    Karambit with a blunted tip. Perfect rescue knife. A wharncliffe with a blunt tip might be close.

A wharncliffe blade about 2-3" long, with enough of a negative blade angle to be an aggressive cutter and slasher but not enough to stop it from being useful on a cutting board would be perfect for general EDC I think. Here is a prototype I have started working on, from a big ol' 1/8" thick sawmill blade:

[​IMG]

Okay, so the edge length will be 3.5". I like my EDC blades on the larger side. Still needs to be heat treated and ground. I think I'm going to like this model very much, and will probably make some out of thinner AEB-L stock once I restock on materials and supplies.

BenchCo Spydermade likes this.
  2. David Mary

David Mary KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 23, 2015
    I didn't push anything on anyone, and I don't believe in pushing anything on anyone. Besides, I do believe Bladeforums is populated largely by men, not snowflakes. The thread gravitated towards discussion of the supernatural and I stated what I believe about it. I don't expect anyone to be triggered by the fact that a knife maker on a forum they go to said he's Catholic. If they do, it's on them, not me, but thanks for the warning.

DocJD likes this.
  3. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    There is some justification for generally discouraging religious and political "discussion" because it usually turns ugly real fast . Plus it doesn't directly pertain to blades . :)

4. David Mary

Jul 23, 2015
    Wharncliffe. Pointy. Sharp. Ergo...

DocJD likes this.
  5. James Y

James Y

Feb 18, 1999
    I'll bet that my Spyderco Harpy, Tasman Salt, and Spyderhawk Salt could appear as scary as any karambit to most people. It's cool that I can use them at my workplace and nobody bats an eye. One time someone at work asked me why my Tasman had a hooked blade, as I was using it. I simply explained that it's easier to use for many pull cuts, like this...and hooked the blade under some strapping and easily pulled. She said, "Hmm...that's pretty cool." :)

Jim

6. BenchCo Spydermade

BenchCo Spydermade

Feb 10, 2014
    First, a karambit would be much better to cut a seatbelt with than the sak. So i dont understand why youd insist on the sak other than to prove a point.

Second, i can only imagine if you had been first to the scene: "Well, all i got is a karambit kid. We both know it cant do anything but kill, not to mention the bad publicity for knives if I save you. Your gunna have to tough it out till someone gets here with an sak."

Also, you say you often carry weapons, but you're no trained ninja who could use an karambit to save someone. How can you use those weapons you carry without ninja training?

DocJD likes this.
  7. BenchCo Spydermade

BenchCo Spydermade

Feb 10, 2014
    Torally agree with this. One of the things ive heard people say makes knives look scary is "teeth"(serrations). Heck, a serrated endura is like a jackolantern smiling.

DocJD and David Mary like this.
  8. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Well, I disagree, for me. You'll notice how I qualified my statement to my own preference. Please don't tell me what I prefer.

Again, you're talking about me rather than the topic. Putting that aside, I carry a more proper cutting tool, based on my experience. See above for reference.

I carry a small pistol as a self defense weapon. No ninja skills needed.

David Mary likes this.
  9. craytab

Jan 26, 2012
    I do believe I said that above. Please read the thread.

David Mary likes this.
  10. David Mary

Jul 23, 2015
    I'm no lover of the SAK, but as craytab suggested, during a rescue attempt, it is surely less likely than a pointy and aggressive hawkbill blade to jab into a person trapped in a vehicle who may or may not be thrashing about in agony or panic.

Something like this is close to ideal:

[​IMG]

craytab likes this.
  11. craytab

Jan 26, 2012
    Absolutely. People will often fear what they don't understand. An explanation of why a hawk bill or recurve or a fully serrated blade works is very important and helps dispel stereotypes. That said, let's not ignore what the explanation of what a Karambit is.

David Mary likes this.
  12. craytab

Jan 26, 2012
    And it's just me personally, a sak isn't exactly ideal either, more so for me than a Karambit. Like I posted earlier, I like the BM rescue hooks.

13. BenchCo Spydermade

BenchCo Spydermade

Feb 10, 2014
    I dont believe you did. I think you said...

14. craytab

Jan 26, 2012
    Pay special attention to the first sentence. If you care, go back and read the context, or the thread even.

15. Peter Hartwig

Peter Hartwig Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2008
    Care must be used when cutting someone out with a pointed sharp knife, but I am not sure he had to cut directly on the person or just cut and relieve the tension. Regardless you have to use the knife you have, not the one you would prefer for the task-in this case. Of course in your own vehicle you can supply the tool you want.

Also we can not automatically assume that is the only knife this kid owns, just the one he had on him that day. By that age I had a variety of knives(nothing too expensive) ranging from SAKs to throwing knives and switch blades. At that age I can't think of a knife I didn't like. My tastes have narrowed substantially.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  16. James Y

James Y

Feb 18, 1999
    Yes. As long as the knife you have helps you accomplish the task safely and effectively, it's all good. Of course, some knives are more ideally suited to certain tasks (such as cutting someone out of a stuck seatbelt) than others. But if it works to help somebody in a life-saving situation like that, then it's good, because it did what was asked of it. Otherwise, it's the same as when a fighter KOs his opponent, or when a martial artist defends him/herself effectively, and an observer says, "Yeah, but his rear heel was off the ground."

Jim

17. stabman

stabman Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Yeah, I'm not gonna agree with that.
    Developed as an agricultural tool initially, and still makes a decent tool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bought from this thread...maker from Bladeforums:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/kuku-kerambit.711850/

I redid the handle, putting leather epoxied underneath to add width for better control, then rewrapped it with epoxy soaked jute. :)

Tool, not weapon.

18. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    :)Thank you , most honorable Stabman ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

stabman likes this.
  19. craytab

Jan 26, 2012
    Then we won't agree, which is fine. :)

Development and what something turns out to be sometimes are different.

20. stabman

stabman Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Some karambits sure developed into decent weapons; double edged helps with that.
    The single edge ones aren't really super great as weapons, which includes all the folders (Sorry Emerson fans...hey, I carry an Emerson Karambit every day...as a tool ;) ).

As to why the fast food guy might have had one, a lot of people buy their knives at the gas station.
    On the way back from Chicago in May, I picked up a gas station knife in my quest for the perfect gas station knife. :D
    I got a Z-Hunter fixed blade, which other than the blood spatter and "zombie green" paracord wrap is simply a regular drop point knife.
    You know what the next best knife they had at the gas station was? An assisted opening karambit.

If I'd been buying a folding knife as a tool at that gas station, I would have had to get a cheap karambit.

Oh yeah, and this for no good reason: :)

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/ultimate-gas-station-knife.1591391/

David Mary and DocJD like this.