Non-threatening looking Folder.

Hello folks, can anyone recommend a non-threatening looking folder for EDC? Some refer to them as "Gentleman's Folders." I usually carry a cheap gerber but it loses an edge quick and it's got the whole "tactical" look to it.

I was looking at the Falkniven line of folders such as the U2, TK3, and PXL. What worries me is that some reviews say they're not rugged enough, and should not be used on wood or they'll chip. I'm not looking to pry anything open or carve everyday, but it should last me.
Any other recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Don't know if I would call them "Gentleman's Folders" but swiss army knives and Opinels aren't generally feared by folks, aren't tactical, and they're great values for the money. Obviously plenty of choices for SAK's, and quite a few Opinels out there.

This is all assuming that quick, one handed opening isn't an important feature for you.

Of course there are also many, many slipjoints out there that most people wouldn't bat an eye at. Case makes a few, to put it mildly.

I carry an axis lock Benchmade Elishewitz Ares 730 in 154Cm that has the burgundy/black scales... a friend has the same knife with the green/black scales and both are pretty low profile... I got it before I saw the McHenry/Williams blade style... regards Les

Get some good SAK, red alox victorinoxes would be ideal people friendly knife. Generally satin finish blade with more colorful handles make them less threatening variant.

Buck 55 would be pretty nice, Around $30 brass bolsters and dark wood inlay. Nail nick 420 HC blade with Buck's heat treatment. That is one fine gentleman's folder for lower price.

SAK are far and away the least threatening knives, and the alox ones are pretty snazzy. Some are pretty thin, so you don't feel like you have the whole toolkit in your pocket. They are also very rugged. I have a friend who blanched when I opened a Spyderco Endura, but who has carried an SAK for years.

After that, as suggested, a slipjoint. I would suggest the Stockman. Good shape, good ergos, cames in various sizes and types of handles.

Various SAKs are everywhere these days - no one's really afraid of them. Slipjoints are also good - a lot of people are reminded of the pocket knives their fathers and grandfathers carried.

If, on the other hand you feel like spending some money and like locking blades, I've always been partial to the Cricket, Kopa and Kiwi knives from Spyderco as gentlemen's folders.

+1 on the buck 55 and the opinels. Great knives, and the opinels come in a great range of sizes, from large to small, in either stainless steel or carbon steel.

I would say alot of the round leaf shaped blades from Spyderco are pretty non threatening. Something like the Sage 1 looks classy with the CF scales and the leaf shaped blade looks very utilitarian. Blade is only 3 inches so thats a plus as well.

Well, I've never seen someone run in fear of one of my knives, or from any knife, but if you're looking for a classy folder, how about a Queen?

IMG_0106.jpg

Those are two of my best looking knives (with a Paramilitary in the middle for an idea of size). They're great knives, very good fit 'n finish, they're tough as nails and have handled anything I've thrown at them and the price is right. They don't come very sharp and D2 is pretty hard to sharpen, but they'll keep an edge for a long time once you get them sharp.

Hello folks, can anyone recommend a non-threatening looking folder for EDC? Some refer to them as "Gentleman's Folders." I usually carry a cheap gerber but it loses an edge quick and it's got the whole "tactical" look to it.

I was looking at the Falkniven line of folders such as the U2, TK3, and PXL. What worries me is that some reviews say they're not rugged enough, and should not be used on wood or they'll chip. I'm not looking to pry anything open or carve everyday, but it should last me.
Any other recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Totally unfounded. I have found my Fallknivens, and other knives, will sometimes chip or roll the edge a little bit until they are sharpened a couple times. (ie get past the factory edge and into some "virgin" steel). After that, tough as can be.

I have and use many Fallkniven knives, fixed and folders, and I can tell you they rate right up there with the best of the best production knives.

I have been using a PXL as my EDC at work for a year and half now and it is a fantastic knife that get used well beyond "normal" but not abused. The PXL could be considered by some to be a bit large for an everyday carry in urban situations.

I also carry and use an FH9, U2, and P/3G, all of which are outstanding knives.

You have, and will continue to, receive many recommendations for fine knives here, choose the one you feel is best for you, but don't discount Fallkniven. They are top shelf and I have no hesitation recommending them.

The TK3 series are pricey, but are true gentlemens knives.

Kevin

Last edited:
This this right here is a fluffy puppy of a knife.

IMG00585-20100704-1623.jpg

Not only will people not run, they will line up to pet it and buy it snacks.

As to the steel - it's great IMO. It won't hold an edge as long as some steels but long enough. It sharpens well and will get as sharp as you care to make it.

Well, I've never seen someone run in fear of one of my knives, or from any knife, but if you're looking for a classy folder, how about a Queen?

IMG_0106.jpg

Those are two of my best looking knives (with a Paramilitary in the middle for an idea of size). They're great knives, very good fit 'n finish, they're tough as nails and have handled anything I've thrown at them and the price is right. They don't come very sharp and D2 is pretty hard to sharpen, but they'll keep an edge for a long time once you get them sharp.

A good traditional slip-joint along the lines of a Case, Queen, Tidioute, etc. make an excellent gentleman's folder. Probably the most people friendly blades you can get.

Another vote for the SAK. I would recomend an alox cadet if your trying for a smaller blade.

If you could find one I would say a Benchmade 77x series knife. These have been DC'd for a bit now but you can still find them floating around.

A SAK for me too. Everyone on Earth knows a Swiss Army Knife witha red handle and nobody will give you a 2nd look for using one in public. You have so many options so you can find one that meets your needs perfectly. For a good everyday knife the Tinker, Spartan, Compact and Climber come to mind. Quality is really good too.

Back